Maternal & Child Community
when did everyone start potty training?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when did everyone start potty training?

Okay, I've been wondering when to start potty training, I know everyone has a different time to start.
I just wanted to see when the ladies on medhelp started and how it ended.
Carmine is almost 13 months and I think he is way to small to go on the potty, maybe when his sister is born, he will almost be 16 months, is that a good time? I wanted to get the potty that goes on the regular toliet, but i think its too high and the little pottys are good. It seems so hard to do. I'm trying to get my son to sleep through the night because hes been wanting the bottle for 3 months now, and its hard, but this seems really hard, and he's a boy.
Honestly I think that is way too early.   Especially for a boy.   Most of the boys I know had no interest until 2.5-3 years.  
Potty training is surprisingly easy if you are willing to let your child do it when he/ she is ready. We didn't push our son.... we bought a potty and kind of just showed him it was there. He was not even interested in using it until he was 2 1/2. However, once he started we didn't stop. We just waited for him to decide he was ready then we encouraged him. Within 2 months he was out of pull ups and wearing underwear daily. About 3 months ago he stopped wetting his pull ups at night (he was 3 1/2). Again we remained really relaxed about everything and waited for him. The Mayo Clinic has said that it can take a child till the age of 7 to be fully potty trained, and boys take a lot longer than girls to get it.....

My advice is to wait until your little boy is showing the signs. I can remember my son walking up to me, handing me his diaper and me discovering he had just pooped on the potty. This was our first clue that he was ready.
My son just turned two and he tells me after the fact....I have tried a few times but he has no interest.  I wish he is but not going to force it.
i definitely wouldn't bother starting when the new baby comes. he'll be stressed by those changes anyways- not a good time to introduce new things. you can buy a potty at anytime so he gets used to seeing it. don't expect him to be interested until 2.5-3 years old. that is when most boys start. in the mean time, let him watch his daddy go potty to start helping him learn what people do in the bathroom.
Potty training can become a battle ground for control and independence... and you don't decide when, the child does... there is NO point in insisting once you introduce the potty. When the child is ready, it will happen in a matter of days.

I always suggets introducing the potty at 2 and a half for girls and 3 for boys... to avoid them associating the potty with stress or failure.When it's done too early, the child feels the parent's disapointment or frustration and it can be damaging for their self-esteem.

One of the greatest child psychologist, Jean Piaget, always says that biology should preceed learning. In this case, the child's body control (of sphykters and abdominal muscles) must reach a certain level. One good rule of thumb is: when a child is able to go up a set of stairs alternating legs like adults, it's usually a good indication that he/she has lower body control and might be ready to tackle potty training.

I taught educational psychology for 5 years in University and I had a 1-hour lecture on potty training! Sorry for the information overload!
thanks girls, i figured he was too young, just wanted some info, i got a long time ahead then of buying diapers, ugh lol. i figured boys would be harder to train, i know you learn them to pee and poop sitting down then go for the standing up, aww thats gonna be cute to see him do :)
From a criminal psychology stand point, power and control issues stemmed from forceful potty training and the frustration that comes with it, is one of the leading causes in mental defect in the most dangerous criminals. Many of them view "that area" as bad and negative, causing hatred of their bodies and can cause them to mutilate other people's bodies because of their inner rage....I know it sounds far fetched, but it is true lol Here is a basic article on Sigmund Freud's view on how a person develops in the "anal stage" and how their personality is affected on the potty training process.

http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/ss/psychosexualdev_3.htm

Basically, most believe in what all the other members have said, your little man will decide when he is ready.
We bought a small plastic potty for our son when he was 18mo. old just to have him get use to seeing it.  He really had no interest in it, but WAS interested in the big (real) potty.  So at 2yrs we then bought one of those cushie seat rings that fits over the toilet seat.  We started just sitting him on it after dinner and before he got in the tub for his bath.  We always read a book and make it fun, and if he goes (he has peed a few times) then we make it a big celebration, but either way we just read a book and then end it.  We never make the potty a negative thing, but rather a fun part of the routine.  He does tell us when he needs a diaper change, but it's always after the fact.  At this point he's still too little to undress himself anyway, so we feel it's kinda young to really expect him to be potty trained, but at least we are getting him use to sitting on the toilet and he now knows what it feels like to go in one (he also LOVES the "reward" of getting to pull off some toilet paper to wipe and then flushing the toilet).  We also then have him wash his hands-- never too early to teach hygiene, ya' know! :)
i was laughing about this today w/ my husband.  my 1yr old comes and stands right up under me and does this scrunched up face and sniffing whenever she has a poopy diaper.  i told him it's about time to buy a potty.  im thinking maybe for christmas.  get her used to it, it's concept, how to use it.  im sure she'll be done by the time she's 1 1/2, definately before 2.  amen
my son is 13 months and we have a potty just sitting there for him to see, but he thinks of it as a climbing toy lol, one day he will realise what it's for lol
so cute all the stories, kids are so smart! i think carmine will be a good learner, i dont think he is anywhere ready now, he is still a baby to me, i think maybe by summer. hopefully he will be trained so i dont have to keep buying two sets of diapers! ahhh. it was easy training my puppy a few years ago she was only 8 weeks when i got here and within  3 days i potty trained her, lol i only had her for 2 more weeks and i gave her to a friend lol, training a human is way different
Ahhhh... two sets of diapers isn't so bad... you get use to it.  Alexander was 15months when his baby brother, Alden, was born, so of course we've been doing the double-diaper duty for the past 9 months now.  It helps that we now use the cheaper "Parents Choice" diapers from Wal-Mart, as we get twice the amount for the same price and they work just as well for us.  (We made the switch once Alden was out of Pamper Swaddlers size... I love those for newborns.)  And, it looks like I'll most likely be doing "triple diaper duty", since I'm pg again and due in May; Alexander will just be 2 1/2, so I doubt he'll be fully potty trained by then either.
Look on the bright side though- with having your kids so close, at least they will both be potty trained within a short time and then you'll be all done with it!  (Unlike my poor sister whose 3 kids were each 3 years apart... she was buying diapers for at least one of them for years, and then had to potty train over and over again...a total of 9 years of diaper duty!)  
well it all depends on the child.. however the truth is that boys are ususally slower than girls however it can be done if the child has interest and you are willing to keep up...which may be hard with a new baby around...(I am assuming you were wondering whether you could do it before she is born) It is possible.. I have no experience with potty training yet but I too have discussed this with many. Cameron is 14 months old and when he pees i ask him and he responds ya and when he poops i ask him and he reponds ya if he didnt do either he gets angry at the fact that i am asking.

I bought cameron a potty for christmas-talk about a xmas present lol...anyways, after christmas, I will leave it in the washroom and before his bath as well as when i go to the restroom, he can sit on the potty..mainly to get a feel.. I was thinking around april-may to try and train him. without his diaper off he will hold himself until a) you put a diaper on or b) put him on the toilet. My son is 14 months. he has been doing this since he was 12 months. he is very advanced for his age so I will give it a try.. if he is not ready we will try at another time.

By this time though Cameron will be 19-20 months old...It has been doen before and there's no harm in trying...

good luck...

p.s. i bought the little potty that converts into going on the big toilet seat with a little step thing...it was only 30$ not too bad!

good luck to you
haha cheyenne.. i have to comment.. gotta love all those theorists! I don't know about you but with knowing all of these theories, Sidmund;s Erikson's, etc...I keep stressing about what if I\m not meeting those requirements to my child...GRRR that's one part I definately hate about being a child and youth worker! lol..knowing all this fun stuff!
Amelia is 15 1/2 months old and she loves her potty seat. I bought her one because she kept wanting to sit on the toilet. It is one that goes on the big potty. She has been peeing on the potty for about 1 week now but only before her bath. She grabs her potty seat and I put it on the potty, she loves to sit on her potty and she laughs every time she pees. When she is done she flushes the potty and puts her potty seat up in the cabinet. I dont force her I just ask if she wants to potty right before her bath and most of the time she has to pee. If she does not she just sits on the potty and talks, she thinks she is grown up. She even claps if she hears me pee:) I am just letting her get use to her potty seat and get her to associate pee and poo with the potty. Some babies are interested early and some are not, using the potty has to be a positive experience. If you get him use to sitting on the potty but not expecting anything to happen will teach him that the potty is a good thing and he will eventually learn what the potty means.
I just thought I would share a different experience:
My brother and sister in law did infant potty training with their daughter. Personally I think it is a load of ****, but they swear by it. Their daughter is 19 months old now and will use the potty, but it took that long just to get there!
Ha Ha, it is so nice knowing all the theories...NOT! lol...I always look at ashtyn and see if he has progressed through each stage properly lol.....
We started Ethan At 18 months and he didnt really have any interest in it. From there we starting doing it again every 6months or so, to see if he was interested in it yet. It wasnt intill 3month shy of his 3rd b-day, at one day he just got it....and he has been fully potty trained since then.......
We trained DS when he was 26 months.  We took a week's vacation over Christmas and did it.  I bought potty chairs about 6 months prior and talked about them and he would sit down every few days and try, so he wasn't going into the training cold-turkey.  We put underwear on him and asked about every 30 minutes if he had to go. Finally when he wet his pants he said "oh no, oh no, terrible mess" and he worked really hard after that to keep his pants dry.  By day 4 he was trained and we were putting him right up on the toilet.  He liked to hear the noise and see the bubbles when he peed.  lol!  boys!  He had periodic accidents after that, but he was more or less trained in a week.  It was super easy.

With DD, she's almost 20 months now and I put her on the potty chair at every bath time.  The sound of the running water makes her go if she needs to, so that's why I choose bath time.  She's peed quite a few times and pooped once, so we're getting there.  This summer when she's around 26 months we'll probably do the same thing as with DS, unless she's ready sooner.  

I think if you wait too long then they reach a point where they don't care if they're in wet pants and they don't care as much about all the fuss you make when they do go.  During training we go ga-ga over them and call the grandparents and make a huge fuss and clap and cheer.  They LOVE that attention so that it's definitely an advantage.
I started my oldest at arounf 7 months (actually he started - he would not poop in  a diaper)  he was day trained by 9 months and nights by a year

with my others started closer to a year and only took a few weeks

before 18 months is best or they miss the "window of opportunity"  

the rule of thumb is "as soon as they are aware"  that means - if they crouch, hide under a table, move off to a corner etc - they are signalling they are ready
there is a difference between being potty trained and being able to pee on command too. my little one can wear undies all day. She holds it until i put her on the potty- usually every 2 hours or so. but, at 16 months, she is not mature enough to stop what she's doing to go potty on her own, and she has only gone in on her own a couple of times. therefore, i do not consider her to be potty trained. i personally feel potty trained is achieved when you can trust the kid to stop what they are doing, ask to go to the bathroom, and go. the chances of a toddler doing this is very rare. even if bladder control is there, the emotional maturity is usually not.

i have potty trained over 50 kids. under 2 years is the rare exception, not the rule. around 2.5- 3 is the average. 3 1/2 is not unheard of, especially for boys.  and i have seen parents try it all- i have seen parents who try too early, keep it casual, etc... i gotta say- with all of those parents who tried early, i only saw 1 or 2 kids train before 2.

however, there are many steps before active potty training. as many have suggested, slipping it in to a routine is a great idea. it becomes a matter of fact at that time of day. the occasional coincidental success really helps the kid get the idea. let the child watch parents use the bathroom. ask if the diaper is wet or dry. let them sit on the potty if interested. it sounds like you do have the right idea. please don't think that you are going to blow your chances of potty training by waiting until he shows he's ready.  
I agree, timed toileting is vastly different from being potty trained.

That being said, some kids are eager to start earlier than others. Mine were not and they were both different.My oldest was bowel trained by 3, but bladder took until 3.5. My middle was bladder trained at 2.5, but not bowel until 3.5. I have not even started with my youngest. I will begin when he is ready.

Many, many experts in the field of pediatrics and psychology agree that forcing the issue is detrimental for all involved. Your worthiness as a parent is not contingent on how quickly your child pooped in a potty.
I tried many times, may methods with my oldest son and all I have to say is if they aren't ready (and they have to be mature enough physically and emotionally) it's frustrating (and messy!) for everyone concerned. Potty cairs, small potties, seats for the toilet, we have them all and they have been around for a long time! We always encouraged him, regularly sat him on the toilet or potty, sometimes he went sometimes he didn't, sometimes he was dry all day sometimes he wet 8 diapers, we never knew what kind of a day we would have or if he would ever be trained! James knew he was ready to be in control of his own tolileting when he started taking his pants off and sitting on the potty chair and peeing and pooing all by himself, once that happened we put him in underwear. He still has the ocassional accident but has been doing really well.
My youngest is showing a great interest in the potty, he likes to sit on it alot and be like his big brother, I'm hoping he won't take quite as long as James did though!!
the daycare i worked at and my son attended began potty training at 18 mths.  i had began around the same time at home w/ my son.  w/ both of us working consistently, and w/ him being ready/mature and used to it, he was fully trained by 2 1/2.  though i have seen other children over the years fully trained earlier than that, they were all girls
Funny - There are at least 10- preschools in our small area for age 2.5 - potty trained required    (there is a different license if you have diapers - so that is called child care etc)
I wonder how they make any money?????????
Certainly the teachers are not just putting kids on potty?
MMMhhhh????????/  maybe kids are more advanced here???  
But Really I think this would be everywhere?  What do I know?
that's how it is where im from too.  when we had children who were not fully trained before preschool (3+), we informed their parents that we couldn't move them out of the toddler room b/c the preschool teachers didn't do diapers.  that put a move on the parents!  this was an academy where the children advanced in their curriculum each year.  no parent wanted to see their child left behind
oh potty training could be quite tough if we dont do it in the right time. i started it with my littel girl when she was 2 years and 4 months which i though it was kind of late for a girl but i wanted to do it when she is ready!!!!!! we were amazed that within 2 weeks she come off the nappies at all and with 3 months she even weaks up in the night time if she needs toilet!!!!!!!!. she is now 2 years and 9 months and dont even use potty and just goes to the toilet which is really good. but i heard boys take longer. soooooooo dont worry just get him a potty and make him get used it.

many good luck with everything
actually, i am willing to bet money that the preschools that require potty training DO put the kids on the potty. While there are some children who are fully trained by 2 1/2, I guarantee that many of those parents put their kids who are not entirely trained into undies and send them on their way with lots of extra clothes and strict instructions for the teacher to put them kid on the potty every hour or 2. Since most preschools at that age are only 2 or 3 hours a day, it usually works. This is timed toileting, and it is an important step towards potty training. But it is not fully potty trained. I've done that process myself with so many kids as a part of toilet training.

The public school i work in does not allow discrimination based on toilet training. I have also worked in a private center. Children were moved along regardless of toilet training. My director said she was concerned about discrimination since potty training is a physical milestone. And if you think about it, it makes sense. A child who is socially, emotionally, and cognitively ready to move to the next level shouldn't be held back because he or she has not achieved bladder control. I suspect that a family denied entrance to a preschool that requires a child to be potty trained would win a lawsuit against the school.

Your sarcasm is amusing, but does illustrate that you are making assumptions about potty training trends and schools. You are basing your experiences on working with a couple of children- your own. my knowledge is limited as well, but I do have extensive experience in working with toddlers and preschoolers in both a private and public setting. Also, we have the experiences of so many other women from this forum providing firsthand experiences in that agree with my perspective. that being said, I think it is truly remarkable that you pottytrained your infants around 1. i hope that your next little one can live up to those incredibly high expectations. but i want to make it clear to others reading this thread that your case is definitely the exception and not the norm.
i dont buy it for a second tired.  i have a 12 month old and there is no way they can understand.  after saying that, i love cheyennes theory lol.