Maternal & Child Community
when did you switch from bottle to sippy cup

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My DS is 12 months...he is 1...wow where did the time go...I am just wondering if I am doing right or when you thought was best...My DS no longer has a bottle in the day, only sippy cups however has a bottle at night before bed. What do you all think? Am I too early, Am I too late?
I took the bottle away when dd turned 1.  It took a bit because she wanted a bottle first thing in the am and before she went to bed. I just bought fun sippy cups that made the change work. Good luck, I know it's tough.
I think you are doing just fine, every baby is so different.  I started trying sippy with Gavin at around 1 and it took him a month or 2 to completely wean out bottles.  
i'm working on weaning off the bottle now. i had to wait until now because dd simply couldn't figure out how to get anything out of a sippy cup. she does do ok with a straw cup at meals.

to help wean her, i am doing the following- she normally gets 8 oz of milk 3 times a day- first thing in the AM, around 2 PM, and at night. she is eating GREAT now, so i have gone entirely to whole milk and don't do formula anymore. recently, i have started to give her 4 ounces in a cup, then finish the last 4 ounces in the bottle. she does not need the bottle to fall asleep. we make sure to give it downstairs, with all the lights on while the family watches TV. but i am afraid that if she doesn't fill her belly, she won't sleep all night like she does (from 8 to 7:30 now- WHOO HOO!). Since she won't sit long enough with a cup, i finish with the bottle to make sure she gets all the milk. i am gradually increasing the amount she is getting in the cup though. same with the other bottle times. you may want to try the same gradual process.

a related question for other mommies- how did you get your little one to go from filling up on milk 3 times/day to drinking enough spread throughout the day? i realize i can probbaly easily get the ounces in, but like i said, i fear that if she doesn't fill up before bed she won't sleep as long. also, in the AM she is starving and downs the bottle. i don't think she can eat solids fast enough to satisfy that hunger.
so far he is not having a difficult time with the transition so far so good...DS has a sippy after bfast..with lunch around 12 and at supper and a bottle before bed...between feedings he has water or juice but rarely...thats another thing.. when do you go with normal 100% fruit juice and no longer baby juice?
Your doing good. I have always given my son 100% fruit juice, I just dilute it with water, half juice half water. I try and only give him a little bit of juice a day though, mostly water and milk.
Juliana still takes her bottle (water) at night.She is fine drinking sippy ALL day long,almost expects it with every meal but at night still bottle.Got to admit she still takes paci (sometimes) at night time too! I wont rush her,I know she wont use them forever.And my other 2 weaned them selves completely at 17mo.And potty trained at 24mo.But Juliana is different & will see how she does =)
yeah cam gets his pacis only at bed or naptime...thats it...thanks for the juice comment.. i never really gave him much juice to start off with but i was curious.. because the baby juice it says to throw out within 7 days of opening...i use like 1/4 and i gotta throw it out...
ryan has been on sippy cup since about 8months old and loves it - he drink out of a straw too - i still give him a bottle at night and in the car on long rides because he hates the car seat so - i think you are doing fine
we never used a sippy cup
went right from breast to cup at 9-12 months
seemed best and did well with that
good luck
well i must have wanted to keep my babies babies because none of my kids were even really introduced sippy cups til about a year and a half....and not started to wean til they were ready...around 2.  my daughter(oldest child) still had a bottle at almost 3.  it is each child, and when they are ready... good luck to you and if you feel good and the child is good with it, then dont worry about anyone else...lol just enjoy them while they are little cause they grow up wayyy too fast...my oldest is already 14...and my youngest is 6...i have a boy in between who is 11 so yes it goes by wayy too quickly.