Maternal & Child Community
when did you wean baby from the bottle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when did you wean baby from the bottle

I have 4 children and the first 3 were off the bottle by their first birthday.  Today is my yougest first birthday and I just not sure if I should try to wean him.  First he was born 8 weeks early so his adjusted age is only 10 months So I am not sure if I would be doing him harm by taking the bottle away to early.  Then with my first 3 babies one day they had the bottle and the next day they didn't.  They didn't even seem to notice, they didn't whine or fuse.  They took to the sippy cup right away.  My youngest seems more attached to his bottle.  He rather have his bottle by himself then let me hold him and feed him.  

I have tried to wean, just the other day when he woke I gave him a sippy cup instead of the bottle.  He seemed to do well all day and he uses the sippy cup well.  He has been uses one here and there for about a month so that he would get use to it.  Then at bedtime he was very unhappy, whined and cried and wouldn't drink from his sippy so I gave him a bottle, he drank and went right to sleep.  So I have only given him his sippy with water for pratice again and he is still taking his feeding by the bottle.  So I have decided not to push him but I think I will regret it later.  I never liked to see a kid 3 or 4 years old carring around a bottle now I think I will have one to do so.
I cold-turkeyed my daughter at 13 mos., but she still got to nurse. If he wants it at night, I'd give it to him. Try to just get him to take the cup during the day, as long as he isn't too stubborn about it.
I wouldnt worry Id still give him his bottle at night just not during the day my daughter was weaned by a year also but my brothers 20 month old son still has a bottle before bed and uses cups during the day anything to get them to sleep at night just not during the night as im sure you know.Good luck.
I have three children and all 3 were of the bottle at 9 months and onto a sippie cup.
Similar question sort of...when did you start your babies on sippy cups?  How soon are you supposed to start getting them used it one, even if it's just once a day?  My DD is 5 months old and already holds her own bottle that's why I wonder!

Thanks,
Amy
I trained my daughter on the sippy cup at 7 mos. I first taught her that there was water in it by helping her try it witout the valve in it. Then I taught her to suck it with the valve by giving it to her in hte middle of our nursing session. The only problem I had was that she'd get to much in her mouth, and drool the rest out. She was about a year before I gave her anything besides water, or watered down juice in it because of that. I was using the playtex cups though. At Wal-Mart they have the Nuby cups with the hard spout, and you can turn the valve around for slower flow. I'll probably do an adjustable flow cup with my new baby.
My son started losing interest in his bottle around 10 months, but got the chicken pox right before I was going to take it away, he was so miserable I coulnd't bear the thought of changing at that time.  Took it away just before 11 months and he did real well (I was so lucky.).  I did it cold turkey too, but he really didn't mind.  He was using sippy cups in the daytime anyway and I had already worked the bedtime bottle away so he didn't even notice much, the Dr. had told me not to give him a bottle at night, and he was a spitter at night, so for fear that he may spit up and choke I just moved it around a little in his schedule.  Worked to my advantage.  We also started sippy cups around 6 months, and we did it without the valves too, it's hard when they're little.  Good luck, and they have sippy cups that have lids that are close to the bottle, soft and almost shaped the same, maybe you can switch to that first and go from there.  Enjoy his B-DAy!
Be careful letting the babies drink milk or juice right before bed without brusing. My daughter was 11 months and usin a bottle at night and her teeth in the front strted to discolor because the milk or juice would sit on the teeth all night long. My 2 older children were off the bottle by 12 months. My youngest was about 16 months but she was 17 weeks premature so her adjusted age was 12 moths. I didn't mind her taking a little longer.
My first son was about 13 months when I took him off the bottle per his doctor's advising.  Usually the doc will answer this for you at their 1 year checkup.  My other son is about to turn 1 in a few weeks and he is still on the bottle, but I plan to take that away as soon as he finished up the last case of formula we have and start him on whole milk just cause we did that with the first.  I have been feeding him lots of baby food to help him get used to less bottles during the day, and soon he'll have to replace it with milk.  I didn't use a sippy cup until my son was off the bottle, he had a hard time the first few days, but I think it's going to be easier with my 2nd son cause he tries to steal his brother sippy cups now and knows how to use them already.
I am having trouble taking my daughter off her bottle also. She is almost 10 months old and the main problem is she will not eat baby food. She never would and my dr. said that was ok. Well now im trying to figure out what i can feed her so she wont want her formula so much. She has no interest in solid food. I mean she will take a few bites and thats it. Thats not enough to keep her full and then she wants her bottle. She uses sippy cups for juice(soft topped) but when i put her formula in it she just chews on the top and all the milk runs down her face and shes not getting any. I dont know what to do?
My daughter was off the bottle and on to a sippy at 9 months old. I started when she was about 8 months giveing her those bottles that were shaped like a bottle, but they had the sippy type tops as well as niples. they were not even close to the type of bottle that she had used, but it worked! we ended up going from sippy cup to regular cup w/o a lid when she was just 2.

avas mom- have you tried the fruits? or maybe somthing a little sweeter just to start? if she likes juice, she may like something like that. at least it would get her used to eating solid foods.

And to add to my above comment, i really wish i would have left my daughter on the bottle longer than i did, i missed rocking her and giving her a bottle at night before bed.
Oh yes she drinks juice/flavored water but she really prefers water. I have a friend whose little boy is a month older than my baby and he is doing really well with the eating. Im more concerned with trying to get her to take less bottles and more food. Ill worry later about getting her from the bottle to a cup. Well not much later. I wont wait much longer than her 1st birthday. But i even tried these mini pancakes to give her for breakfast and she aint like 1. and not even an hour later she was screaming for the bottle. I just cant get her to eat more than a couple pieces of anything. I am feeling stressed because her dad seems to not even try to help me to get her to do these things.