Maternal & Child Community
when do babies sleep through the night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when do babies sleep through the night

I know there isn't an exact answer to the question but would like to know anyone elses stories. My son is only 7wks old .. and was wondering when babies decide they want to sleep through the night? I have a neighbor who has a 7mth old baby and he gets up more then my son in the middle of the night and that scares me because i kinda of thought they slept through the night by that age. Maybe i am wrong and obviously you can tell i am a newbe mom . I know i will probably never ever have a good night sleep again but was wondering at what age most babies do sleep through the night. i am kind of curious to hear other stories if anyone has anything
All babies are different my baby girl started sleeping thru the night from 7 weeks I was one of the lucky ones but a few of my friends have been just as lucky when others dont sleep thru the night until 6 months good luck hope you have a good baby who will be a great sleeper at night im hoping my next baby due in Nov is just as good fingers crossed.
For starters CONGRATS on the baby to come hopefully its a happy healthy lil buddle of joy
Secondly my lil guy wakes up like 2-3 times a night but the worst is at like 330/4am he wants to be up the rest of the morninig and i can't handle that and it sucks. each night varies sometimes its good sometimes its bad.
my baby girl decided that shed sleep straight through at 7 weeks, but now at 16 months decides to cry at around 5am 4 a bottle which she feeds herself then drops bak off agen. all babies are different - they all have there own personality!
hi are you breast feeding or bottle feeding breast fed babies will wake more often as you probly no the milk is absorbed through there systems quiker then formula my first dd now just turned 1 ob friday started sleeping through the night at 8 months now she goes to bed at 8.30pm and sleeps right through till 9 everymorning she wakes early in the morning around 6 has a play in her cot and goes back to sleep.
you might wish this was your situation at the moment yes 12 hours sleep like she getting wrong well i forgot what noght times were like i currently have a 2 and a half week old baby girl silly me hey just kiding i love them i remember the first night i brought her home as soon as i went to sleep wah wah this is the bit i dread most about newborn we need our sleep i am lucky though she usually goes down just after11pm wakes around 2-3 for a feed then takes a bit to settle then she wakes at around 7 am good luck to you anyway it wont be long befor he is sleeping through the night they gtow so fast enjoy it while it lasts.
Thank you I guarentee it will get better in time your poor thing.
It seems to be boys that like to play up in the night with my friends boys anyway. Good luck one night he will surprize you I breastfeed my daughter but at night before I put her to bed a gave her a bottle of formula just to top her up and i'm sure thats what made her sleep well. Take care :)
i breastfed my dd, strictly, and he has done well sleeping through the night from about the age of 2 wks on.  it's not that he woke up and i let him put himself back to sleep, it's that he never woke up.  he would go to bed at about 10pm and wake up around 4 or 5 am to eat.  i never gave him formula.  my sister, on the other hand, has both a 22 month old and a 7 month old, and neither ever sleep through the night.  they both have always have formula.  with my son i kept him well fed during the day, and at bedtime made sure when i fed him i kept him up long enough to finish eating, not enough to let him doze off.  my son has always been in the 50-75% for height and weight so he is in no way lacking the necessary nutrition.
well your right every baby is different but if it helps, this is my story, my son slept throught the nite from 6wks but at 6mnths started to wake again.  he is now 12mnths and usually wakes once a nite.  however i read a book recently and it said that "sleep through the nite" doesnt mean that they dont wake up or that they dont cry it simply means that they can console themselves without your intevention.  all people babies and adults wake during the nite at some stage even if its just to roll over but for babies they need to learn to put themselves back to sleep. and we can teach them!!!  i have stopped going in to my baby and let him put himself back to sleep.  it took an hour at first which was hard cuase i so desperatley wanted to go in but its worth it, he now falls back to sleep within 10mins.  i wouldnt reccomend starting this until after 6mnths of age.  good luck to you
Both of my children started sleeping for a good 6 - 8 hour stretch at around 4 weeks.  I did not wake them to feed them.  They would occasionally wake to nurse in the middle of the night.  A big factor in a baby sleeping well is not being in the parents bed.  They are light sleepers, and when they wake themselves in the middle of the night and you are right next to them, they cry.  Also, they will wake more if you are next to them.  A factor with my babies was also just putting them in bed and leaving them alone, rocking the cradle a bit if need be.  I put them in at the same time every night, and within a few days they were on a good sleeping schedule.  A lot of babies will cry when they are tired, and their parents will hold and rock them, thinking they are upset about something, and all they want is to sleep.  Good luck to you and heres wishing you a good nights sleep soon:)
I have two boys--31/2 and 2-they both started sleeping thru the night at 9 weeks--then they went in spurts of a few months of sleeping and then waking up at night--I did go and get them most of the time--I feel they need when they are that little---though I did not feed them---They are both great sleepers now.  I did nurse them, but I went back to work at that time-so I would top them off with a bottle of like 3oz.  seemed to do the trick for me.  I also noticed that when I took there bottle away at a year old--they did not need it to go to sleep--better for their teeth if they do not have milk or sugars on their gums while they are sleeping.  I hope this helps---just remember have fun--they are little for only so long---there are days I wish mine were babies again.
Congrats on the new bundle of joy. Here is my experiences with this situation. I have 4 kids, 3 girls and 1 boy, My first slept through the night at 1 week, my second was sleeping through the night at about 3 weeks, my third was sleeping throught the night at about 6 weeks and my last is now 4 1/2 months old and is still not sleeping through the night. So you see how it could vary....lol. Every baby is different. Good luck.
Tiffany
My DS has slapt through the night from about 5 weeks on, yes I know thAt I am VERY lucky (but Dad and I are both big sleepers!) But when he did start sleeping throught he night he would only sleep 5-6 hours together (which is considered "sleeping through the night", so what I tried to do is keep him up later and give him his bath about 11 at night then he would eat at 11;30- midnight and then get up at 5-6 then go back to sleep so then at 8-9 I would wake up with him. He is now 6 months and for about 3 months or more now he has got his own schedule (believe it or not they do do that!) and goes to bed around 8-9 and gets up about 8am. Just remember that if your little one goes to bed do the same...adapt to son schedule because more than likely he will not adapt to yours for a few years. Good luck.
My little girl didn't sleep through the night till 4 months. We went to her well check up and discussed it with her Peditrician. He told us to let her cry herself to sleep. I was nervous to even try it because to hear her cry would make me sad. But we did it. The first night it took her 30 minutes and it decrease from there. So in about a week in a half all we did was lay her down at 8 and say good night and she went to sleep all by herself and during the night she knew that we wouldn't come and get her. So she would soothe herself back to sleep during the night. It was the hardest thing to do but the best thing. She is 2 and we've never had any troubles.
But every kid is different your baby could sleep through the night earlier. Good Luck!!
my son started sleeping throught the night a few days after i got him home from the hospital and even there he dind't wake up willingly i was told to wke him up to feed him but when i got home i didn't wake up to feed him and he slept from about 11:30 pm to 7:00 am with out waking up. the pediatrician said it was fine and if he was hungry he would wake up on his own
Congrats on the new addition, and I wish I could tell you when they will sleep through the night. I have a 15 month old boy and he still doesnt consistently sleep through the night. I dont go and get him unless his cry sounds different, like he is sick or scared. He is a little high maintenance. Some nights he sleeps all night and others I might be up with him two or three times.  I am tired but he is worth it.  Hope everything goes well.