Maternal & Child Community
when do you see a heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when do you see a heartbeat

I went to the doctor yesterday and they said I am only 6 weeks (they thought I was 10 before).  The were not able to find a heartbeat and told me to come back in a week.  They didn't act worried, but I am starting to freak out.  Is it normal not to hear a heartbeat at 6 weeks.  When should I really start to worry.
The heart begins to beat during Week 5.  But ultrasounds have a margin of error of 1 week, therefore it's possible you're only 5 weeks pg and therefore might be too early to see a heartbeat just yet.  Next week should be very telling.  I had an u/s with DD at 7w 1d and saw her heartbeat very clearly.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
many women on here have had ultrasounds and have too worried about no heartbeat at such an early stage but you will know more at your next us...try not to worry its normal:D
I hope everything works out for you. I saw my DD's heartbeat at 5W4D. You might just not be as far along as you think you are and that would cause you not to see the heartbeat. Good luck to you and keep us posted!