Maternal & Child Community
when should the fetal pole be evident?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when should the fetal pole be evident?

I am hoping someone can offer some clarification.  I received bad news today at my 1st u/s.  I am 7 weeks 2 days since LMP, and the Dr saw a gestational sac but no fetal pole or heart beat.  He is certain that the fetus never developed, and that a miscarriage is imminent.  I asked that another doctor review the u/s findings just to be sure, and she agreed with the diagnosis.  I guess my question is does anyone know at what gestational age the fetal pole should be apparent?  I can't really find anything on the internet that specifically addresses this.  Everything I have read says that the heartbeats may not be detectable until 8 weeks, but I can't find anything concrete on the fetal pole development.  As many of you can completely understand from your own experiences, I am devastated by this news and am just trying to be absolutely 200% certain that there is NO BABY before I make my decision about the D&C.  I had a miscarriage in July 04 and it completed itself naturally, but it took 6 painful weeks to do so.  I am considering the D&C this time to bring some closure and to move on with my life.  What a crappy thing to have happen especially right before the holidays.  I am thankful that I found this website, it has been a source of great comfort and clarification to me during the last several months.  Thanks for any info you may have to share.
I am so sorry for what you are going through. I did have a pregnancy where the fetal pole was not evident at 6.5 weeks and then later a heartbeat was found....I don't know how common that is. My sister had an instance of there being no heartbeat or anything and she was 9 weeks along....she didn't do the D & C and now has a healthy baby girl. Of course, this may not apply to you. Some docs say that you should be able to see the heartbeat/fetal pole by six or 7 weeks but there are always miracle cases. There is a site that you can search for called the Misdiagnosed Miscarriage. Look it up. Anyway, bottom line is that even if this pregnancy is NOT viable, the chances of it taking another 6 weeks to correct itself and miscarry would be unlikely (very unusual!) and you should absolutely make sure that there is no chance that the baby is there and alive before going through with the procedure. Have them take your HCG levels b/c if they are lowering, that is pretty conclusive...but if they are still rising then you should wait another week and have another ultrasound and so forth. Good luck and keep us posted.
I am so sorry to hear this. I do know how devastating it is. I had my m/c in July too. It sounds like a blighted ovum to me, but I'm no doctor. Here is a site you may get some info on. http://www.geocities.com/tweety1137/blightedovum.html   And again, I am so very sorry.
Debra
Yes.  You are still so very early.  Be sure to go to http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/  
and read the cases of women who were told that their babies had no fetal pole or heartbeat and then had their babies.  Doctors are often too quick to doom a pregnancy.  Besides that D&C's are so hard on the body.  I have friends who waited things out naturally and were able to conceive right afterwards.  I wish you the best.  Keep us posted either here or on the site above how things go.

Carolyn,

Could you and your sister write your story at the site above, how you eventually saw your baby.  We are trying to get women to document their cases.  We have doctors who will be looking at the site.  The more cases documented, the more proof that misdiagnosis happens.  The more proof and women alerted, the more babies saved.  Also, more mothers spared heartache.  Please spread the word to other ladies about the site and to document their cases.  Thank you so much!

I have had this happen to me 3 times. And this site has helped me. I just found it a week ago, but I like reading it.
I feel like when I had my d&c's I did something wrong to soon. Wait it out.........

Copy & paste the site...

http://home.earthlink.net/~misdiagnosed/
Thank you all so much for all the kind words and for sharing your similar experiences.  I will check out the sites you've given, although I am so hesitent to get my hopes up.  In my research last night, I did come across one woman who had a very similar experience, and it was discovered that her first u/s tech was newer and did not properly or completely do the scan in the first place.  I am now wondering....for those of you who had early vaginal ultra sounds....about how long did the procedure take?  When I had one in July for my m/c, the tech seemed to me to be very thorough.  The procedure took about 20 minutes, and she had me turn to either side to get some good views that way in addition to lying on my back, and I could feel her moving the wand every which way inside there to get several different views.  This time, the whole process took literally 5 minutes, and she barely moved it just side to side.  She did not ask me to flip onto either side, or do anything that would make me think she got all possible views.  My appt was at 11:30 am, I was fully dressed and sitting back in the waiting room waiting for the Dr at 11:37.  Does anyone have any related experience with an early u/s?
hi

i had not exactly the same but a similar bad first ultrasound with this my fourth pregnancy, i was sent for an early scan at what i believed to be my seventh week of pregnancy, i was sent for the early scan after previously losing 3 babies. the sonographer seemed happy with the scan and the fact that my periods were not "normal" as in every 28 days, mine are roughly every 30 days, everything she expected to see was there. a sac and a yolk sac, but only minutes later my dh and i were taken into a counselling room and told we most likely had blighted ovum, which we had already experienced with our second failed pregnancy, totally shocked we left the hospital and were told to go for a re-scan a weeks later so that if it was blighted ovum, we could "get it over with"
we waited and it seemed like the longest week of our lives, at the re-scan we had the exact same lady who scanned us the week previous, only seconds passed as she started to scan, but it felt like forever waiting at which point she turned the screen to us and said "theres your baby, theres its heartbeat" at that point i believed myself to be almost 8 weeks pregnant, but the scan put me at only 6 weeks 5 days, how long your periods are and when you ovulate affect things. i am currently 29 weeks pregnant now with a very healthy and active baby.. so please don't give up, i think some doctors are too quick to scan and then write off a perfectly successful pregnancy!

claire
Hello everyone,

Technically I have completed 7 weeks of pregnancy on Dec 2nd 2004. Today I had my first ultra sound and was given the devastating news that there is no featal pole. Listening to the advice of other members i think i will wait for another 2 weeks for the next ultrasound to confirm if there is a heart beat.

I am still hoping that i am pregnant and going to have a baby. I had my last period on october 9th 2004 and i and my husband had unprotected sex on october 31st. So i think i had very late ovulation and so it is possible that the doctor is not seeing what he expects in the ultra sound.

by the way, i am having pretty bad nausea, body pains and tiredness associated with the first trimester of pregnancy and so i am wondering how can they cannot see the featal pole??

Any advice and encouragement would help me cope with my situation.
Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone could help us. My wife and I have just been for our second scan at 7wks 1day. Our first scan (due to slight bleeding) was at 5wks 2days all seemed well, uterus and yolk sack were normal but no sign of a fetal pole, told not to worry as it is early days.  As mentioned we had the second scan today and the uterus has doubled in size and the yolk sack was still present with a very small fetal pole of 2.4mm. We have been told that this does not look normal as they would expect to see some sign of a baby plus no heartbeat has been detected. We have been given the impression that the pregnancy is not viable and we are due to have another scan in 7 days, after which if a heart beat is still not detected the nurse has said we will have a "little chat"....

Measurements have been thrown at us as in that the fetal pole should be bigger in relation to the uterus,does anyone know if this is definately the case? We are v.worried that if still a heartbeat is not picked up on next week that those dreaded words d&c will be mentioned, when if you read others storeys of similar worries on the web, many say to wait and if it's not meant to be things will happen naturally.

What are two very upset and worried parents supposed to do??
Any views are most welcome!

Many thanks...Chris & Leanne.
I have been looking for info all over the net on no fetal pole but a gestational sac seen in u/s at 5 weeks. My doc wants me to wait 4 more weeks to do another sonogram, but I can't wait that long. It will drive me crazy. I am doing one this coming Monday, but in the meantime, I have all day morning sickness and have just started throwing up as I did with my last pregnancy. I had a normal pregnancy with my 18 month old daughter with the same type of morning sickness, so I am hoping this leaves me hope. Has anyone else been diagnosed with no fetal pole but also morning sickness that is not going away?
I would appreciate any feedback.
i have just been today for my 2nd scan as i am diabetic have to go every 2 weeks last time the sack was only 8mm this time it is 20 mm and possible sighting of yolk so they think i am only 6 weeks and to go back in 2 weeks is this how it is ? she said the baby will be next to yolk but not yet visible on scan ? any 1 experienced anything similar please let me know thank you
I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION I AM SUPPOSEDLY ABOUT 4-5 WEEKS PREGNANT WITH MY SECOND.  FIRST PREGNANCY ENDED IN MISCARRIAGE.  WE WENT TO THE ER BC I WAS HAVING REALLY BAD BACK PAINS AND THEY DID AN ULTRASOUND AND THEY FOUND A GESTATIONAL SAC AND YOLK SAC BUT NO FETAL POLE, ACCORDING TO MY LMP I SHOULD BE ABOUT 7.5 WEEKS PREGNANT BUT I AM NOT REGULAR I AM 40-45 DAYS IN BETWEEN PERIODS SO THE U/S SHOWN THAT I WAS ONLY BETWEEN 4-5 WEEKS PREGNANT.  I GO FOR ANOTHER U/S TODAY AND I AM HOPING THAT THEY SEE MORE BUT SEEING AS IT HAS ONLY BEEN 4 DAYS SINCE THE LAST ONE I AM VERY NERVOUS.  PLEASE HELP ME OUT.  MY HCG LEVELS ARE CONTINUING TO RISE.  WHEN I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNANT ON 3/7/08 THEY WERE 290, ON THE 3/10/08 THEY WERE 1372 AND ON THE 3/13/08 THEY WERE 3790, SO THEY ARE CONTINUING TO GO UP.  I HAVE A LOT OF FAITH IN GOD AND I KNOW THAT I AM GOING TO HAVE THIS BABY.  EVERYONE KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND JUST PRAY. GOOD LUCK.
I know the this comments were posted a few years back, but trying to get my self together I started searching for explanations, advice, possible miss ruling of my pregnancy. I am at my 7 week of pregnancy gestational age (lmp) which is only 5 weeks after conception.  I had to go to emergency room for abdominal pain and thats where my nightmare began.  No heartbeat was detected. Doctor said okay is to early.  I followed up with midwife week later, still no heart beat, and what she said no fetal pole.  I am entering the 8th week and had 4 vaginal ultrasounds. Doctor said no fetal pole, no heart beat, therefore no baby (as cruel as it sounds) I still had hope. I mean I have all the syntoms, crabings and soreness in breast, I feel pregnant!  My hcg counts are only going up by the 2000, which they say should be doubleling. He gave me the option of waiting for a natural misscarriage, medicine or that D C they call. I decided to wait, but am thinking of just doing the medicine,  but with all of this reading that I am doing, now I am more confused, should I hold on to my hope. I argued with the midwife of the fact that is to early to hear a heartbeat or see a fetal pole and I all I did was get her upset.
please help in giving me peace of mind. somebody please.  
I would first find a new midwife, she shouldn't be getting upset.. all i can tell you honestly is to follow your heart.. I would wait.. because you never know, doctors can be wrong.. and if you do away with it yourself, you'll always wonder in the back of your head.. "what if" and those are the most punishing word ever.. so i would relax and let God take over.. It will be okay.. I will pray for you and your baby..
hi; im so worry i took a preg test on jan 26 was positive went for vaginal ultz to rule out ectopic cause i had on in 1997  they only seen  a sac on jan 30 and had a hcg and it was 1838 then had another on feb 02 and it was6492 and another hcg on fen 5 was14925 had a ultz done on feb 6 just seen sac bigger only no pole i been have browish dischagr only when i wipe i have appt for utz on feb 10 . could somebody give me advice please im so sad....
I have read so many postings about no fetal pole etc...as my daughter had a scan and was told it was to early to detect a fetal pole.
This has got me really worried as I had decided to read up on the internet about what it meant. I wish I hadnt. It has just made me worry even more. I do wonder if all this technology takes over normal progress.

I have had 5 children, and at that time scans were not on offer. I have never heard the expression no fetal pole...I just had ante-natal check ups and so long as I did not show any signs of losing blood all was expected to be well. I would never have known if there was no fetal pole in the early stages as that facility was not on offer.

I have no idea what advice to offer my daughter, but certainly would not want her to read all the info on the sites that I have seen. I believe it gives too much cause for worry. It sounds to me that no fetal pole seems to be totally common as the amount of postings I have read prove that. The number is amazingly high, and yet I never ever heard of it whilst I was pregnant years ago.

I have decided not to worry my daugther and let nature take its course. She has another scan in 10 days, as her first one was apparently when she was 6 weeks. I personally would rather she didnt have this scan until she was at least 13 weeks, unless she showed signs of a miscarriage by losing blood. This was the only evident way of showing signs of a miscarriage when I had children.

I dont think I will continue to read anymore postings as it all sounds negative. It is heartbreaking to lose a baby that you want so dearly, and hope that all who have been given their info on no fetal pole do go on to have a successful full term pregnancy; Good luck everyone and I hope and pray that my own daughters pregnancy continues to be successful.
My doctor sent me for an ultrasound (abdominal and transvaginal) at 6w1d.  Hcg level that day was over 40,000.  The only thing seen was a gestational sac measuring 6w4d.  No fetal pole and no yolk sac.  The doctor said they should be able to see much more at that high hcg level and that I may go on to miscarry.  I had another ultrasound yesterday at 7w2d and everything was fine (abdominal ultrasound only).  Everything was visualized and we heard the heartbeat at 135 bpm.  I am actually upset with the doctor for putting me and my husband through one of the hardest weeks of our lives.  To me, although some women can see everything at this time, it is just too early for others.  The sort of impact these very early ultrasounds have on people should be respected by the medical community.  
Today I had my first u.s. they said all they saw was a sac and the fetal pole but they could nit see a fetus/ She kept asking me if i bled at anytime i told her none at all just mild cramps but none continuous shes asking for another hcg leve test i pray all goes well and thank you all for the info you have posted. I am 24 and my first baby no miscarriages yet i am barely 7 weeks and i want this baby so bad that to think  i wont have it thi\e end of this year hurts
This is my first pregnancy with my current husband. I have 6 other children, most grown, with my ex. I never had early hcg testing or sonongrams with any of them. Of course, all was fine. This time, because of my age I assume, I have gone through hell. I had a sonogram at 4 weeks 2 days. The doctors were worried of an etopic, which I have never had, due to the corpus leutem (sp?) being large. They did an hcg count, then another one on sat, 2 days later. That doctor called me Saturday after noon and point blank told me I had an etopic or a miscairage as my numbers didn't completely double. I was devestated.  After doing research, I dicovered that I had gone up atleast 70% in less than a complete 48 hour period and that was totally normal.  So I went to my regular doctor that Monday.  He took blood for an hcg and did a sonogram. He too became concerned the cyst was an etopic and sent me for a high tech sonogram down stairs. That doctor told me point  blank, he didn't feel it was etopic. They didnk't see a sac or yolk sac at that point. The next morning my regular doctor callled and told me my numbers doubled, not to worry. I had another sonogram last friday, 4 days from previous and 5 wks 3 days. They saw a sac and yolk sac.  That was a different doctor and he told me I was earlier pregnant then what I thought because they didn't see a fetal pole. I of course did research and found that not seeing a fetal pole is normal at 5 wks and doesn't mean I am earlier.  To me, I would like to know how a pregnancy test came out positive four days before my period if I were a week off.  Silly doctors. Anyway, that same day I got the results of the following hcg count and they more then doubled. So, there is no reason for concern.  But, due to this hcg counting and early sonograms and uneducated doctors who have no concern for giving wrong information, I went through hell.  So terrible.  Like I said, this is my first time dealing with all this early stuff and I will never, NEVER, do it again or allow it again unless I personally have a good reason to worry myself. (Hoping my hubby will be happy with just one). Listen to your heart, do research, and don't do anything the doctor suggests untill you are 100% sure yourself,,,,and,,,pray and do research. Much love wishes and blessings.
Hi iam 24 yrs and ihad 7weeks pregnancy and i went for u/s and the doctor told there was a yolk sac but no fetal pole and no heart beat doctor told told me to repeat scan afetr 2 weeks iam really worried whether i will get  a misscarriage in this stage

please help me out im so worried about this
Hey there i just had my 3rd sonogram in the last 6 days went wed 8/12 first dr told me my uterus looked "funky" then pointed out to my husband and I what appeared to her two gestional sac told us to come back in 48hrs to see if my hcg levels will triple well of course we are excited shocked and have our hearts set on two come back fri 8/14 see another dr which i was fine with since the first was having hard time with my "funky" uterus. He was more informative but still seemed unassured as well preformed the 2nd sonogram to find out what the first dr saw was cysts not even the gestional sac she was looking at well then he points the real gestional sac which was measured to be at 5wks and 5days at that time and it ws empty nothing.  So he has me come back mon 8/17 now exactly 6wks and this sonogram showed yolk sac but no fetal pole so of course they want me to com back AGAIN the next followig Mon 8/24 so they can see if they can hear heartbeat ....This is my second pregnancy my first was 5yrs ago went undetected till I was 3months pregnant entering my 2nd trimester and I had never had this much issues not knowing till I was almost 4months pregnant i feel was much more pleasant, relaxing and smoother. I sit here reading forums postings blogs from dozens of sites and from my own personal experiences and reading others I personally feel DRs rely on what medical science has taught them when things dont go as sch as the  med book says then for them its the only other alternative unvialable pregnancy. Im not saying drs dont know what they are doing but I do feel they dont let mother nature takes its course...we are all different therefore just bc one woman developes her fetal pole in 5wks of pregnancy i dont think should be compared to another who hasnt. To everyone with doubts and hearts that been shatter with crushing news like that DONT lose your hope DONT let one negative doubt take your spirit its that hope love faith and undoubting that will get you through these hard times keep planning on that nusery theme and baby names its our strenght in belief that we wont except a comparison . Stand strong for you baby
I had an us this monday and i had an u/s said iam 9 weeks 4 days they saw a fetal pole but no heartbeat they told me come back again with in a week to do the U/s again im really worried and this is my second preg  doctor told if they did'nt ditect heartbeat this week i have to go for a miss carriage

im really worried pleaes help me
My first 3 pregnancies were sadly lost, 1st was at 16 week, anencephalic baby, 2nd was diagnosed at 8 weeks as blighted ovum, d&c happened the next day, will never know for sure if it was or not. 3rd pregnancy was a complete miscarriage at home at 6 weeks. My 4th pregnancy i was scanned at about 6 weeks, sac was spotted but no fetal pole, because the sac measured 1mm more than they were expecting at that gestation, my pregnancy was written off as another blighted ovum. I was offered a d&c again but refused and agonised for another week before i was re-scanned. 1 week later my daughters heartbeat was seen within seconds of the scan being performed. now have 3 healthy children ages 4, almost 3 and 18 months. Hopfully pregnancy number 7 will have a happy ending like my last 3.
I went to the ER on Oct 5 2009, because of light spotting.  since I had a miscarige at 15 weeks, 4 years ago, I was scared.  It took me 4 years to get pregnant, I'm not loosing this one.  U/S was good, they saw the sac and mesured to be at 6w 1d (exactly where I said I was) and the heart rate was at 147 bpm (quite high...maybe it's because of all that sugar I had that morning), my HCG level was great too, 3000.  So the ER doctor asked to come back in 48 hrs for more blood test.  My HCG did not double, but went up, 4000 and found that I had a blood clot in my uterus (my chances right now are 50-60% I'll loose it).  Asked that I return in a week (Oct 13 2009) for another U/S.  It was good, the baby is now at 7w 2d, but my HCG is only at 6000 and the Heart Rate was only at 112bpm (they said anything over 100bpm is good...but why did it go down???).  Then I was sent home and no more follow-up... WHAT?  Are you crazy?  I'm going out of my mind here...  I found me another doctor and they are running test like crazy.  found that my progesterone level was way to low (26 instead of 40 or higher) so I'm on 400 mg of progesterone supplement, they also told me to take 5mg of Folic Acid (not one...but five pills per day, plus my normal multi-vitamine).  went for more blood test after 3 days of progesterone (Oct 17 2009) and it went up to 40 (and will probably keep going up), but my HCG is only at 7000.  I'm consern about my HCG as they are not going up fast enough, so the nurse, at this new doctors, said it might be because I was so low on progesterone, to not worry about that level anymore.  I'm going for another U/S Friday (Oct 23 2009) and pray the Lord that all is fine.  I sooo want this baby, it's not funny.  but all this to say, don't give up.  If you think your doctor is not doing everything you think he should, get a second opinion and also, get your progesterone level check...90% of the time, it's because you're to low that your body can't carry this pregnancy...  DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN for your own sake, for your peace of mine.
Celine
ljllg
Hi Nikki.  So my husband and I found out I was pregnant last week and we were very excited. I began to bleed this week very badly and was told I miscarring I had my levels taken and they were rising so I was sent for an u/s  I am 5w3d they did the scan and found everything except a fetal pole a. They found a bleed called a subcorionic nleed which would have caused the bleeding.  They said it was very bad that no fetal pole was detected and set me up with another u/s next week.   All my research says it shouldn't show until 6 weeks or after.   I am also showing all preg symptoms.
The first day of my last period was  january 8th.  I found out I was pregnant about 35 days later.  I went for my first sonogram when I was 4 weeks .  The doctor said I was everything was fine.  the yolk sac was visible.  I went for a sonogram supposedly  11 weeks  and the doctor told me that the baby has stopped developing at 6 weeks. he asked for me to see my doctort so that this can be taken care of.  My conder is I feel movement. I feel lots of little pulses and tugs.  I felt this weeks ago too.  I have an appt. on Monday to have a D & C. Something in my gut tells not to do it.  But I am assuming the doctor is right.  AFter all he is a "doctor"  one would think right?  But I have a God who is a miricale worker and he for me always has the final say.  Does anyone have any advise?  
My LMP date is 10/4/2010 and I have done an ultrasound on 27/5/2010.According to ultrasound gestional sac and yolk sac were seen but no fetal pole and says it is 4 weeks 5 days according to ultasound.But according to LMP date calculation,i am 6 weeks pregnant.Is there any thing to worry about,if no fetal pole is found at this stage
Why are US doctors so insistent to offer D &C's in the burgeoning stages of life?  Do they get commission from the drugs companies?  There is some conspiracy going on?  In the UK, the D&C is offered primarily in the stages over 12 weeks, where it would be harder, emotionally and physically to miscarry a non-viable foetus.  I don't know of any woman who has been offered a D&C under 9 weeks!! This is madness!!
You could have ovulated later or had a longer cycle that month; even if you knew you conceived on a certain date, the sperm might have taken longer to reach the egg.  Nothing is an exact science in pregnancy and one week difference is massive in terms of what you can and cannot see in a scan, even a vaginal one.

I am currently, what I estimate from LMP 7 weeks but in theory my doc reckons I'm nearer 5+4 due to the date I conceived and he factored in lazy sperm.  A gestational sac and yolk sac are evident so next week when I scan I will be 6 +4 and hopefully see more!

Have patience and always be sceptical when you get 'offered' a D&C.  How much do these procedures cost on your healthcare?  In the UK the NHS have a budget, hence why it isn't offered willy nilly.  The US healthcare system seems very money orientated.
By my last period I am 8 weeks 7 days.  I have had 3 vaginal ultrasounds as ectopic was suspected.  First at 6 weeks (going by date of LMP)  - gestational sac only seen.   At second scan 2 days later they THOUGHT they could see beginning of yolk sac.    A further scan was suggested for 10 days later.  Agonising wait followed.  I was told at that scan they were checking for miscarriage which was news to me!!   They are so insensitive!!! At this scan they saw normal gest sac which had increased in size, yolk sac and a 3mm fetal pole - no heartbeat yet but this is normal in any fetal pole measuring less than 5mm.  I am now waiting for re-scan in 2 weeks!    The sonographer  told me that I am 6 weeks pregnant and no more going by the scan and that all the results were normal so far.  

Therefore I would advise the following;   I would not want to give false hope to anyone but there is NO WAY I would have or even consider any surgical procedure before 12 weeks.   I have read so much about misdiagnosed miscarriages and I think every woman should be as informed as possible before making any such decision.  This has happened to too many people and it doesn't bear thinking about people who have had D & C at such an early stage.  Early ultrasounds are a minefield they can offer reassurance but at the same time I think they can also cause much distress and confusion - every pregnancy is different and will progress at different rates this is proven - some people have not had a heartbeat detected until 10 weeks!!!   The sonographer told me that this is why must early ultrasounds for dating are performed no earlier than 12 weeks unless medical reasons necessitate earlier scanning .   Good luck to you all and go with your gut instincts.  It's your body and doctors do get it wrong sometimes!   xx
i am 12 weeks pregnant according to my lmp. i had an u/s yesterday that showed a fetal pole. the drs dont know whats going on and either this baby has not developed or i had a misscarriage then became pregnant again. after the u/s yesterday i began bleeding bright red blood and it has continued as we speak. this is my 3rd pregnacy the first was a mc and the second was a healthy baby boy, im terrified anyone had a similar experience?  thanks bonnie
I've been there so I know what your going threw don't do a d&c  they told me the same thing and ordered a d&c and my regular dr came in and looked at results and canceled the d&c. Thank god he did or my beautiful little girl wouldn't be here today....... Add me I new on this and need friends
I really thank you guys for posting here. I am to undergo a d&c by next week. I have an irregular period, my lmp was last april 2010. I had my first u/s last june12, 4w5d, there was a gestational sac but no fetal pole and no yolk sac, 2nd u/s was done yesterday june19, 6w0d, still no fetal pole nor yolk sac. My doctor advised me to undergo d&c right away but i asked him if i can have it by next week. He said ok. When i read your messages, it seems like i don't want to undergo d&c next week. This is my 4th and my youngest is already 10. Now, i am deciding to get another u/s after 2 weeks..... THANKS!!!
I'm so sorry to hear the stories of those of you that have had such a sad outcome but wanted to share my story to reassure anyone that might be in the same position I was.
I had a abdo and vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks and had on foetal pole and obviously no heart beat. There was a gestational sac and yolk sack. I wen't back of an ultrasound yesterday at 7 weeks and they found the heart beat and everything looks great.
Good luks to everyone out there in this scary position!
I was pregnant last January naturally, but didn't progress well, had low HCG and progesterone, and eventually the last ultrasound showed everything that had been there was gone.
I then did surgery to look for endometriosis and they found stage 4 and removed it.  I have now had IUI with a donor as I am single and determined to have a child. Based on the IUI, I am 6 weeks today. There is no yolk, no fetal pole, though my sac is enlarging. I fear the worst with a blighted ovum. I know they will follow-up with more ultrasounds, but I had such hope this time around. It is encouraging to read stories of 6 week ultrasounds that showed nothing  but then a week later a baby popped up.
Please post these to give people like me hope.
I have been told my pregnancy is not viable and that fetus is not developing and have been recommended to have a d&c.  I am very concerned and question the dr's opinion.

On Sept 7 my hcg level was 545, on Sept 14 my hcg level was 16,250.  At that point they ordered an u/s claiming I was 6.5 weeks.  I questioned it for a moment because on Sept 7 I was told 3.5 weeks so I was confused as to how there was a three week difference in 1 week's time.  
But being excited I let it go and went off to the u/s on Sept 17.  The u/s showed a sac and yolk about 5.5 weeks no fetal pole or heartbeat. On the 18th the dr called me and told me the baby wasn't developing and ordered more testing for Monday (2 days after my last u/s).
Monday the 20th my hcg level was 65,000 and the u/s showed no difference from Friday but measured exactly 6.0 weeks.
The ultrasound shows a sac and yolk but no fetal pole or heartbeat.  I am measuring approx 6 weeks (correct according to my lmp) but the drs' feel my hormone levels are too high and therefore they should see a fetus by now.
They have suggested a d&c and I have decided to wait.  My next u/s is scheduled for the 30th and I should be about 7 weeks by then.  Part of me is tempted to wait until 8 weeks so I can be more sure but either way this has been the most unhappy month of my life.  This is my first pregnancy  and no cause for worry other than light bleeding before four weeks which I've been told is completely normal.  I have all the normal pregnancy  symptoms and the dr's cannot explain why my hormones are going up.  They told me in their opinion it is not a viable pregnancy but since my hormone levels keep rising they cannot be 100%.  
My husband is supporting my decision but it is so hard.  The drs are  being respectful of our choice and are willing to wait as long as I would like but are still positive the results will only show that the baby isn't growing.  
I do not recommend early testing to anyone!  Unless you are having painful cramping and heavy bleeding let nature take its course.  If I could go back I would tell the dr that an increase in hcg was enough and I would wait for my 12 week sonogram.  I wish I hadn't been so impatient and excited to see my baby who isn't quite ready to be seen yet.  
I am glad to see your posts and I would like to thank everyone for giving hope...I am also 6wks and a day when I had my first u/s...the sac and yolk sac is seen but no embryo evident yet...I am hoping and praying I will see my baby this coming saturday....To everyone...Don't lose hope...God is good..Have faith.Cheers to us MOMS!
i'm glad i found this site.i went for a scan today,saw a gestational sac 6wks+5days,normal yolk sac but no fetal pole seen. The dr asked for a repeat scan in 2wks.I'm dying of anxiety, i previously had a m/c diagnosis of blighted ovum was made. Lets keep our fingers crossed ok?.
Hi,This is such an helpful forum to anyone who is going through the situation mentioned above.I have been diagnosed with a sac with no Fetal pole and no heartbeat.According to doctor I am already 9 and half weeks pregnant but I know for sure when I would have conceived.I am advised by doctor to get D&C done next week on 27th but now we both have decided to wait and let nature do the next step.Hope everything goes fine.Every moment I just hope for some miracle to happen.
i had a d&c done on the 18th Jan this year and after 8 weeks my body started the cycle again. my last period was the 18th of april and i thought i was 7 weeks when i went for my scan on the 6th, however the sonographer said the gestational sac measured 6weeks 3 days, there was no featal pole or heartbeat, the yolk sac was measuring 3mm though. another ultrasound is booked for next saturday, my hcg levels are still raising, and i still feel ;pregnant; with morning sickness, cravings and sensitive breasts.... saturday is so far away but i truely have hope that this baby will come!
After 13 years and being told I will never concieve (conceive) again I tested positive for pregnancy. I had my blood tested twice and my latest count was 42993. Had a sonogram the 22nd of june showing two sacs but no fetal pole or heart beat. I repeated the sonogram june 30th still showing two sacs with no fetal pole or heartbeat. Sonogram show 5w1d for fetus A, and 5w5d for fetus B. I am so nervous, when can I expect to see life or not?
I know I am reading this a few years from the date u first posted. But iwanted to share my experience. I had no idea I was pregnant. I wound up in the er for complications with my asthma when a urine sample confirmed I was pregnant. Since I was bleeding I feared the worse. An emergency ultrasound was performed and I was told there was no yolk sac and no fetal pole or heart beat. My Hcg levels placed me at 6 weeks pregnant. The er doctor told me that from the ultrasound I was having a miscarriage. I was terrified. I followed up with my ob 2 weeks later, a urine sample confirmed I was pregnant. So my ob set an ultrasound for 2 more weeks. At that visit I saw my daughter and heard her strong heart beat!!! She just had her 3rd birthday!!! Miracles can happen. And doctors aren't always right.
My LMP was 6/7/11 and I became pregnant soon after. I took a home pregnancy test and tested positive.  I began bleeding on 7/20/11 and thought I was miscarrying (this would be my 2nd miscarriage).However the bleeding felt like a normal menstral cycle and I didn't see any tissue expelled.  I saw my doctor to do a follow-up and we did some blood test. She noticed my hcg (200) was rather low (especially after a miscarriage) but wanted to monitor me some more. The following week, I took another blood test and this time, it went up to 1200. i took another blood test the following week and it was at 2000. She recommended a US. I found out this week that they were not able to detect a fetal pole. The gestational sac and yolk sac was present but no fetal pole. She said this was an abnormal pregnancy and recommended termination either surgical or via drug.  

i am opting to wait another week and to do another US. I am so glad I found this forum and to have read all of the postings. it's giving me some comfort to know that there is a possibility that I could still be having a normal pregnancy and that it was just too early to detect a fetal pole. I'm not keeping my hopes up too high, but so far I'm not experiencing cramps or pain, just the normal early pregnancy symptoms.

I am 7 weeks 2 days pregnant. Last sat I began bleeding and the ER drs observed me for hours and told me I was having a miscarriage for sure. I went to the dr mon and she confirmed and said no fetal pole or fetus at all. I went in for d&c tues but dr found heartbeat. She said it was very slow but to wait it out. Tues night I experienced heavy cramps and gushes of bleeding and passed something big. I collected and saved for dr to analyze. I assumed I miscarried naturally and dr wanted to do another sono. Today they said heartbeat is strong and I must have passed a blood clot last night! I am still high risk for miscarriage but despite being told I lost baby 4 times, still pregnant! If I would have had d&c tues then it would have been all over. I have another sono tomorrow and am hoping for the best! If waiting gives you peace of mind then do it. No one will fight for your unborn child like you will.
plz plz can anbody temme does normal pregnancy symptoms occur in anemryonic pregnancy???i had ma first anemb preg but ma pregnancy symptoms stops...its ma second preg suspecting anembryoic but m havin normal pregnancy symptoms...can anyone plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz answer me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi, I am supposed to be 7-8 weeks pregnant if we will base it on my last day of menstruation which was July 2, I had reddish brown brown spotting that doesn't smell like blood at all so my OB-Gyne advised me to have a transvaginal ultrasound, the U/S reveals that I am less than 4 weeks pregnant and there's a gestational sac but no Embryo... The SoNo and my OB-Gyne wants me to have another TV U/S next Saturday. I feel so wretched right now, really my question is what are the chances that an embryo would show up a week from now? What should I do? I have 2 healthy kids. I am just so scared.
I found out I was pregnant a few years back on a Friday.  I went to my first drs appointment and found my uterus had not grown at all but was positive for pregnancy and had missed 2 periods.  The dr opted to do absolutely nothing and just told me to come back in a month.  Something didn't seem right to me so I went to a different dr.  This dr was very kind and ordered an US plus several blood tests.  Unfortunately before I even got my US I began bleeding and went to the ER where I had a US there and was told there was no fetal pole and an irregularly shaped sac.  I was told I had a blighted egg and that I was miscarrying.  By the time I went to the scheduled US it was all over.  I never had any pain except at my follow up appointment when the dr found I had an infection and had to perform an emergency D & C.  I was only "pregnant" for 3 weeks but the emotional toll of it all was very hard on me.  I had already come up with a name as we believe in early naming for early communication with the baby.  Before this I had had 3 perfectly normal and healthy pregnancies.  I got pregnant a few months later and at my first US they could find nothing and I thought I had once again lost my baby but they said go home and go on bed rest for two weeks and when I went back to the next US they saw our little black blob of a baby ( that's all it looks like that early on a US--at least for us in 1998) and I now have a beautiful 13 year old daughter.  You never know what will happen and should just try and wait things out to see where they lead and trust your instincts.  
I've had 3 chemical pregnancys and 2 blighted ovums in 13 years. One healthy 1st pregnancy who is now a 15 years old boy. 1st blighted ovum passed on its own. The second which happened in June this year I had to have a D&C. I read lots of these threads and demanded weekly scans and decided to go ahead at nearly 11 weeks. No fetal pole detected just a growing empty sac. I waited it out until my hcg levels had stopped increasing and the sac had started to slowly deflate. The sac was so high it could have taken weeks to pass on its own so I agreed to end! Don't rush into anything. For me I was sure after having it happen before. Good luck to everyone. It's a long hard journey I know I had 4 agonising weeks if going for scans. It's exhausting but try not to stress. I was told you shouldn't have a scan before 7 weeks as most of the time only the sac is visable and its very stressful to go home not knowing whether you've got a baby or not. Wait it out and stay calm xxxx
Hi caringmum, what a pleasure it was to read your posting. I am 45 yrs old and have just fallen pregnant for the first time. My Mum had five kids, I am the youngest and she said exactly the same thing as you, that there is too much information available to us now and that it only stresses the body at a time when it's meant to not be stressed. I had a scan at 6 weeks 1 day and there was sac and yolk but no fetal pole. I wasn't worried because it's relatively early but the doctors practically told me it was going to miscarry! You're right that we shouldn't be scanned until 13 weeks and just let nature take its course. I will be scanned in 6 more days unfortunately but if I can remain mentally strong, I should do ok regardless of the outcome. It is what it is and will be what it will be, que sera, sera! I think I will not opt for the D&C and just let it happen naturally.
Thank you for posting on this board.  My daughter texted me today devastated that she had no fetal pole, no heartbeat.  She told me she was positive of date of sexual activity date and that she was barely 5 weeks along.  This board is proving to me and to her that she should NOT lose hope yet nor make decisions at such an early date.  Thank you thank you thank you!
Terri C.
hi i am 5 weeks according to my LMP found sac size 3mm no fetal pole or heart beet doc said it is just for 3 weeks and i have mild discharge in brown colour as well by last day.i had miscarrage (miscarriage) in April please help very worried.
thanks
b
Thanks so much for your posting. Reading it was like reading what I'm going through at the moment. I had a vaginal u/s done a few days ago (at 6wks 5days) and the technician gave me the devastating news that she could see a gestational sac but no embryo. I didnt even know this was possible. After crying myself out, I met with the doctor who said there is no cause for concern at this stage. He ordered a blood pregnancy test which came back with hcg at 27,000 (which I thought was too high but seeing as yours was even higher...). I am scheduled for another u/s next week. Praying and hoping it turns out just like yours: that at 7wks and a few days, we will see the little blip that evidences a bun in the oven. Thanks again for brightening my day and renewing my hopes!