Maternal & Child Community
when to start school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when to start school

hello ladies, well i was looking into preschools for dd (im way early, shes only 14 months old, but where i live more often then not theres a waiting list thats at least a year long) but i was told that kids can be put into a school like environment as early as 2, i was clear that i wasnt looking for a babysitter, but they explained that it was a learning enviornment, where they being to interact with other children, learn colors and letters and such,

has anyone had a positive experience with sending your kids to school as early as 2 or 3? i really want her to get a head start in life, and be prepared, but im not sure if this is TOO far,

PS( its only a 4 hour school day, so she would still be home with me for the rest of the day)
My brother was in a "preschool" type enviroment at that age because my mom worked full time.  So it happens often, especially today.  Personally that is the only reason I would worry about a teaching preschool so early, for work purposes.  I've never understood why some parents freak out over what preschool their kids goto and such.  But that is my personal opinion.  My 14 yr old never went to any preschool, in fact I home schooled her through kindergarten and 1st grade, and she's an honor student.
congrats on your honor student! i would love to homeschool dd, i just dont know how good a teacher i would be, like i said i wouldnt want her in a day care, and trust me im not one to spend thousands of dollars on preschools, my husband is the only one working and im in school full time, so we would qualify for "low income preschool" haha why was i embarassed to post that? anyways do you have any suggestions on school like activities i could introduce at home? that sounds like a really good idea (i didnt go to preschool and i graduated with a 3.9, who woulda thought)

the real reason ive been looking into this kind of thing is that dd only says two words, well only one everyday (dada of course) she only says mama once in a while, i guess im worried shes behind
Some really great websites for ideas on preschool activities (even older and younger)

www.everythingpreschoool.com
www.enchantedlearning.com
www.babybumblebee,com

I have used these, in conjunction with my own formal education in ECE and have made our home environment both educational and fun for my boys. It is really easy, doesn't cost a bundle, and they get to spend their time here with their siblings and their mom.

I sent my little guy to preschool when he was 2 1/2  he is now in his second year and loves it.  Everything is borken down into 15-30 minute sessions they have fun while they learn.  He has really changed from last year to this year--I think it gives them a little more structure and the ability to socialize and get into a good rythm with other kids.  He started out going two hours in the morning--this year it is 2 1/2 hours two days a week.  Next year he will be going for three days and three hours a day in the afternoon--he will then just eneter kindergarten no Pre-K.  I am also putting my other son in the two hour-two day a week morning program next year so he gets acclamated with other kids and not just his brother as a playmate.

My husband and I's income is greater than the state allows for there funded preschool or I would have sent him there--there programs are wonderful--sometimes they just have more kids than the parents would like--and sometimes you need to go through their hoops--such as at home visits and center visits.

Just do your research and do what you feel comfortable with.
While I was home schooling my oldest, my youngest was about 2 years old.  And what I "taught" her while we hand "school" was basic things.  

I talked to her while I worked, and she helped.  I talked to her about things when I measured out recipes, I let her tell me how something worked while I cleaned up a floor.  In general I gave her attention and interaction of my own.  I would sit her on the counter while I would explain what I was doing with the dishes or cooking, or painting.  Basically I taught her things through daily interactions by keeping her involved.  I gave her a wall with a paper on it, and let her color on it daily, and every week might work on a letter or number, and pictures of what might represent that letter or number.  
My three oldest went to a great Christian academy at 3 yrs. old and they all did wonderfully.  The teacher even reccommended them for Kindergarten a year early instead of waiting another year.  My dd's both did, but when it came time for my son, they said he was just too young.  So we dicided to homeschool, and they are all doing great!  In fact my oldest is in band at the public school, alot of running, but worth it.

Anyway, my 3 yr old is not at all interested in going to school, he wants to do school at home.  I tried talking him into going to the same preschool the others went to, but he wont hear of it.  He has these number and letter flashcards that we do, and HE is the one that initiates it!  I also have a book of "papers" he does to seem like the others.  We do Abeka DVD's with our older ones, and I think next year we will get their preschool program for my 3 yr old, but not the DVD's I will teach him myself.

You just have to have confidence in yourself, I mean, you have to teach them other things, right?  I am nervous about the preschool thing, even though the academics is way easier, the dealing with the younger kids is not anything to be laughed at!

Anyway, if you are going to send them out to preschool, I would look for smaller class sizes and pay unexpected visits if possible.  The academy we sent our kids encouraged unannounced visits, and I would question if they didnt.  You want to know what goes on when theyre not expecting you.  You can have the best curriculum the world has ever seen, but if you cant reach the kid individually it does you no good.
I personally think 2 is too young for preschool.   At 3 years old we worked with our kids on colors, shapes and read alot to them.  At 4 yrs old we started with letters, numbers.  Our daughter did not go to preschool.  She did great at all day kindergarten.  Our son attended preschool for 4 months before kindergarten.  He never liked to be away from us and we were worried he would have social problems going to kindergarten.   He loved preschool and did absolutely wonderful in kindergarten.    I think in society today kids are pushed to grow up way too fast.  
My dd never went to preschool, I didn't have the means at the time.  She is in grade 10, in French Immersion and is an honor student.

My ds will go two mornings a week starting in the fall.  He will be four in October.  

It really is a personal preference.  I think reading to your kids, playing with them and enjoying their little people years is what is most important.
thanks everyone for the wonderful stories! i guess all kids are different, i read to her alot already, which is why i find it odd she old says 2 words, but i know she will take off pretty soon, i think i may wait until 3-4 to put her in school and start working on things at home, anyone like the baby enistien DVDs? i havent looked into them as of yet, but ive heard kids love them,

anyway i checked the class size for the pre school and they are 10 kids per class, with 2 teachers, seems really small to me, which is wonderful, but im leaning more now towards waiting a few years, i will start the nursing program in fall 08' or spring 09' (if i get in that is) which will be 8 hours a day, so i think that would be a great time to introduce her to school, i like the idea of unexpected visits,

thanks again everyone
Sorry, but I think the whole "school" thing being associated with 2 and 3 yos is a marketing thing--trying to get you to put your child in their facility because they will have some sort of "head start".  If you do some research, I'm sure you will find that there is no advantage to it in the long run.  And I think the "school" terminology is also about trying to make you feel better about doing it--somehow helping you to justify it or to guilt you into doing it, "if you want what's best for your child".  But I believe that what's best for a child is being with his mother (unless, of course, the mother is neglectful or abusive).

I did what Immortalone did--lived life and involved my son.  And we talked about everything--colors, why you do certain things, we counted everything, he played with magnetic letters on the refrigerator, played with playdoh and water for sensory stimulation, we sorted socks (and I also bought different things like dried beans and we sorted those, too), and I read to him--A LOT.  These are the things that they should be doing at that age--learning about their environment through experience.  I'm a fan of child-led learning--even as adults we learn things easier and they stay with us when we are interested and learning them.

And as far as "socializing" goes, go to Gymboree, meet at McDonald's Playplace or Chuck E. Cheese's or the park.  Plan play dates.  But don't be surpirsed when the kids play autonomously side by side for the most part.
I do have to agree with the above poster, now that I have looked deeper into the whole idea of school, home with mom I think would be best, but I wasnt confident I could do what the academy did for my kids.  But she's right, they learn from us, and want to do everything we do, and memorizing things isnt as important as LIVING them.

As far as socializing, who would you rather your kids were influenced by?  kids their own age who will teach them things that are mostly wrong?  Or adults of your choosing who hopefully would teach them right character traits? They will be influenced by someone.  And that someone should be you.  That is the main reason we are homeschooling now.  But I just wanted you to know our experience with preschool and how it went for us.  In school you have almost no control over who your kid spends their time with.  Our kids have friends, but we know who, and they are supervised.  I am sure as they get older we will not always be there, but Our prayer is that we are instilling the traits in them now, that will help them make the right decisions when the time comes.
hi, in uk they can go to pre school from 2 1/2 then start nursery school at 3 till 11 then high school till 16 .
pre is optional but rest is compulsery , both my children went to pre ,1 still is there till sept .
they both loved it ,it gives them social skills and learning through play and a (school stucture) routine to their day .
My dd is 3 1/2, and has never been to preschool. I am a stay at home mom, and until 3 mos. ago, she was my only child. She would probably like preschool, but has been able to learn all her abc's, numbers, colors, shapes, and tons of other amazing stuff ahead of her preschooled peers. I think this is due to a lot of 1 on 1 time with mommy. There are also lots of great tv programs to help with this. The time will come soon enough, that you will HAVE to send her to school. You will miss her, and she will miss you. Enjoy these precious years while you have her by your side. Will a little head start be worth the time you won't get to spend with her?
My daughter gets planty of socialization with kids of my choice, and in situations where I know what's being said. What else will our kids learn at preschool? There are plenty of parents who don't teach their children to behave the way you want yours to. I am waiting to send my dd to school until she knows not to copy the bad behaviors of others. I hope you make the best choice for your family. My opinion is enjoy her, and teach her yourself. You'll be glad you did.