Maternal & Child Community
when to take off of formula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

when to take off of formula

I would like to know when is a good time to take my baby off of formula? He is now 5 months and only drinks a bottle at night before bed.
According to my doctor a my son (6 months) should get no more than 4 ounces of juice a day, though they said it would be better to not give him any yet. You should really talk to your ped. about what you are feeding him.
Mandi
Yes, I agree!  Thankfully my son doesn't even like juice.  They're better off with just plain water.
5 months is too early to stop formula.  A baby can't eat enough to take in the varied types of foods that he needs for good nutrition.  

Ask your pediatrician how much formula your baby should be taking in at this stage.  Be sure you strive to get close to that amount, if possible.
my doc said no juice till 9 months,  then water it down  (I still water it down to this day)
my doc also said no mile before a year - but at a year go right to 2percent - he said kids get plenty of fat don't need it in their milk!
Every one will have a different opinion
Most say at a year, then go to homogenized milk
They do need at least 24 oz of formula still, at 8 months that is where my little fellow is at. Plus there feedings
I know formula is expensive and would like to get off of it but They do need the vitamins, nutrients from it still.

What does he eat the rest of the time? At that young they still need milk, whether formula or breastmilk at least 3 times a day of 6-8 ounces according to my doctor.
Mandi
he has juice and he eats babyfood very good...
This is a question best answered by your pediatrician.  I say that because my son's pediatrician says he needs at least 24 ounces per day (and he's 9 months old).  This value is both what you mix with cereal and what he drinks in a bottle.  Also, to avoid problems with dehydration they need 18-20 oz of liquid (formula, water, juice) every 24 hours.  

At 5 months old your baby is still getting ALL of his nutrients from formula.  Their digestive systems are not developed yet to take the necessary nutrients from solid foods.  So I believe you should ask your doctor if 1 bottle once a day is enough, I have a feeling it is not.  A guide to use is they should eat 2 oz of formula for every pound of body weight...so if your baby is 15 pounds, then you should be feeding upwards of 30 oz of formula every 24 hours.  But if your doctor says it's okay, and you trust his judgement, then do whatever you feel is right.
Up until 1 year, they need formula or breastmilk. After their 1st birthday they switch to whole milk and if they have gained weight well at 2 they can go to 2%.

No baby should be taking less than 24-32 ounces of formula throughout the first year. Solids are not meant to be a main source of nutrition during their first year.

Please rethink what you are doing, and go back to feeding your baby formula and drop the juice and cut back the solids.

Good luck,
Andrea
Not till 1 year.  Well...let me elaborate...according to my pediatrician you start mixing whole milk with formula (1/3 of their daily intake) at 10 months.  Then at 11 months you mix about 1/2, then at 1 year they are on whole milk alone.  You must switch them gradually otherwise they might get extremely constipated.
when would be a good time to start him on regular milk???
Just a FYI my best friend has a 24 month old and for the past 2-3 months he has had diarrhea or has been constipated (not going for 2-3 days). When this all started she called the doc and they said to take him to Children's ospital where they said he was dehydrated and to give him gaterade. She thought this was weird but it came from Children's Hospital and they would know best correct? Well this has gone on and when his grandmother her MIL would watch him he would get worse(she feeds him cookies all day instead of food). Anyway she just took him back to the docs and he was flipping mad when he heard about the gaterade...Children should not have that much sugar in fruits, juices etc. a day. And he put him on a special diet of water, rice,bread, no fried food,hardly any friuts and such. My moral is becareful how much juices the babies are getting even though it may be 100% friut juice it still has sugar in it.
my daughter is 10 mo old and is compleatly off of formula now.i honestly do not see the big deal with taking them off formula a bit early..being on formula till there one is a bit exsesive
     i have  herd it is good to ween them off of formula and not go cold turkey..and doing it cold turkey would result in gastrointestinal bleeding and allergic reactions. and by all means this is my thinking..although iv'e read diffrent, anyway. if u ween them off you clearly can see if there is something wrong with your child or not for example constipation.
       because formula has iron and vitamins that your child needs is the main reason peditritions want them to be on formula till there one years of age but parents who feed there young children 1,2,3 stage gerber food , and gerber graduate foods.. know's if they've ever looked on the back that they get everything they get from formula (iron and vitamins )
Well my daughter is 8 mnths and weighng at 21pounds she eats all table food and her daughter agree but now I'm tryng to see should I swicth her over to 2% milk
It's actually NOT the vitamins in formula that's important- it's the FATS, a specific kind of fats, that are needed for brain development. These fats are found in breastmilk and formula, not regular milk or foods. The brain develops at an incredible rate during the first year, and if you do not give your baby the necessary breast milk or formula you are interfering with that brain development. It's not a question of vitamins- you can get that from supplements and food. It's about the specific fats. Even if your baby is large, he or she still needs those nutrients to support his/her brain development. If you were to stop breastmilk or formula at 8 months, you are depriving her of 4 months of these nutrients- 4 months is 50% of her life span at this point!!!!

There are NO reputable organizations or sources that say it's OK to wean a baby off of formula or breastmilk before the age of 1. There is a reason for this. Mommy often thinks she knows best, but mommy doesn't know physiology.
thank you for all the knowledge! reading these discussions have helped me make a decision about staying with baby formula till my daughter is one. I do have a question though? I started my daughter Lyllie on beginner foods at 3 months of age. Gradually giving her more each day. She currently 5 months and eating half a jar or fruits and half a jar of veggies twice a day..along with her morning cereal. She also drinks about 30ozs of formula a day. I guess my question is What is the point of giving your baby water if they are eating well??
My ped said that water is unnecessary before the age of 1, since formula is mostly water (think of how many ounces goes into the bottle along with that little bit of powder). She will not get dehydrated. However, if you want, you can give a couple of ounces per day after 9 months. You can also check aap for guidelines, but I suspect that's what it'll say since my ped seems to follow their guidelines pretty closely. If you do choose to do water sooner, don't do more than a couple of ounces/day.

Oh yea- i forgot that at this age, many parents introduce a little water so that the baby can practice using a sippy cup. That's totally OK- it's not like she'll get too much that way as she learns.