Maternal & Child Community
will my son have blue eyes?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

will my son have blue eyes?

ok i have blueish green eyes my mom has pure blue eyes but her mom n dad doesnt my grandparents she got it from my grandfathers mom now me and my sister have blue eyes and my younger one has brown my husband has brown but his mothers mom's sisters have all green eyes
so what are the chances of my son having blue or green eyes
I think 50/50 -- who knows.

My two have blue eyes, but my dh and I have brown.  Both grandmas have blue, though.  Can't wait to see what this one will have.

Let us know...dna is a funny thing sometimes!
yes i know i hope he has my eyes lol
Normally rule of thumb is "brown eyes dominate".  But that is not always the case.  Once baby is born he or she will probably have slate blue eyes.  True eye color isn't carved in stone until they are 9 to 10 months old.
I agree with lovefamily.  DD was born with green eyes (light green) and they've gotten darker and darker and now at the age of 11 months, her eyes are hazel (they're so pretty :)))  I come from a brown/very dark brown eyed family.  DH's are green, his dad's family are all green but his mom's and her family's are all very light brown.
Go to this website, it will give you the percentages of what color eyes your kids will have.
http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/eyeCalc/eyecalculator.html
typically darker genes are dominant, but not 100% of the time. that's what i was taught in school.

i bet he'll be gorgeous no matter what :)
Don't you remember learning the pundit square in biology?  Here's a short biology lesson . . .Brown is dominant and anything else is recessive.  You need to both (you and your hubby) have blue genes in there to have blue eyes.  You need two recessives to get a blue to expressive over the dominant brown.  One brown can override the blues.  At the most, with your hubby having brown eyes, you have a 25% chance.
On a personal note, my sister in law has blue, my brother hazel, with a family line of blues and brown, both his children have blue.
I have brown, hubby has hazel, my son has brown.
wannabenana - Hmmmm.  I took that quiz,  and my husband's family came out in error.  My husband has hazel eyes (is that considered green?  When he wears an olive shirt,  his eyes appear VERY green).  Both his parents have ice blue eyes,  very very clear blue.  

He is the absolute spit and image of his father - both unusual looking men with unusual features,  so I don't doubt at all that his parents are who they say they are.  

I wonder what the deal is.  Usually I trust genetics matrixes,  this one didn't work.  Hmm.
Me and My husband both have brown eyes. But his mother has blue eyes and my father has green eyes. Sure enough both our children have blue eyes. Weird huh??
Actually the "pundit square" does not work for eye color determination.  Eye color is a polygenic trait- meaning that it is determined by more than one gene;  there are 2 main and several minor genes that influence eye color.  That website with the percentages listed says that it gives a rough estimate using only the pundit square of the 2 main genes.  That's why it doesn't take in to effect the hazel, amber, grey or violet colors.  Unfortunately, you'll just have to wait and see (unless already born with brown eyes).
I have dark brown eyes and my husband has blue.  Our son has bright blue.
You really just have to wait until baby's at least 6 months old to tell. I have black hair and dark brown eyes and DH has greenish hazel and I have one DD with the same eye color as DH and my other DD has really blue eyes. I was always told my very, very dark genes would dominate when I had kids but that didn't happen!
doesn't matter for you? i think all what matter is to have a healthy baby, no?
does it matte for you? i think that all what matter is a healthy abby...no?
I heard brown dominates too. My husband and I have brown eyes and brown hair. My daughter has dark brown eyes and brown hair, but my two sons have dirty blonde / light brown hair and hazel eyes. They're a really pretty gray/green/blue color. We can't figure that one out! My husband's dad and sister had blue eyes, the rest of the family brown. My family all had brown eyes except my grandmother and grandfather who both had hazel eyes. So, you would still think that the brown would have dominated. You just never know!
i wish there was a way to tell, my daughter is blessed with the most beautiful blue eyes, i have brown eyes, and dh had green eyes,

have no idea where they came from, im just hoping the next one doesnt get stuck with brown like me;)  (but if she does they will be beautiful on her im sure)
I have blue eyes, DH has green eyes, DS has brown eyes, DD#1 has green eyes that look like they are starting to go kinda brown, and DD#2 has bright blue eyes. So we have every eye color there is!
I think it just varies with each one. I have dark brown, my husband has green my children #1 has blue (my dad has blue eyes), #2 dark brown, #3 dark green.
It's hard to say....you have the blue-eyed gene from your mom, but you dont' have a brown eyed gene (otherwise you'd have brown eyes). I'm not sure where green falls in. It's a little weird.
If your husbands eyes are brown, he has at least one brown-eyed gene. Depending on what his parents eye colour is, his other gene may be for a brown or blue eyed or somethign else entirely. The only way your son will have blue eyes is if both you and your husband pass on the blue gene. If your husband doesn't have any blue genes, your son will not have blue eyes. If your husband has a blue eyed gene from somewhere, you have a maximum 25% chance of having a blue-eyed son. The only way you know for sure if you husband has a blue eyed gene is if one of his parents have blue eyes. Again, I'm not sure how green eyes work. Like SeeingSpots says, there are too many minor genes that are in effect here, and since you have green eyes, unfortuantely you have one of them!!  If I were to guess based on statistics alone, I would think your son most likely would have brown or greenish eyes. Bets anyone? Ha ha!
I was wondering how my lil boy will turn out to.  My mom had green eyes and my dad had brown eyes, I have light blue eyes.  My fiance has two kids one of them has light brown, and his daughter has hazel, he has brown eyes.  He has cousins in his family who have light eyes.  We could go either way on this.  Either our son will have dark eyes like him and my father or light eyes like me and my mother.
both my parents have brown eyes. and i came out with a hudge black afro and blue eyes. my eyes changed to hazel (ones green, and the other brown and green) and my hair is  brownish- blond.

i was told that a good percentage of children are born with blue eyes but they change. i would say you son will have either one of your eye colors but he could be like me and have neither parents or grandparents eye color