Maternal & Child Community
wine/beer while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

wine/beer while pregnant

What is everyone's view on drinking wine or beer while pregnant? I am not talking about a lot but every so often having a glass of wine?
My Dr always said a glass of wine on special occasions (esp. red) was fine but I never had any. I had one sip of champagne & a few sips of Dh's wine (when he tried a new kind) but other than that nothing. I so yearn for 1 good glass of wine! I am just too scared to have one!
Supposedly an occasional glass of wine is fine, but I never do.  While pg with DS in the heat of summer, I did have a couple sips of DH's beer but that was it.  You'd never forgive yourself if you thought it had caused a problem.
I had a few ships of champagne at a wedding a while ago, but I don't think I will have any more. I get communion wine twice a month.
How are ya? I don't drink, but I'm such a wuss when I'm pg that if I 2nd guess it I don't do it LOL  Who knows a sm amt may not be any worse than a MT DEW or COKE :)
Oh that made me think we tk our DS#1 to the fair & I had to sit down b/c I got to feeling weak & I saw a girl I went to nursing school with (so she totally knew better) SMOKING while her tum looked as big as mine, I thought that poor baby inside, but then again the girl looked like she had alot more energy than me, I couldn't help but tell my DH look shes PG & SMOKING &WALKING & here I am NOT SMOKING & SITTING so I don't pass out :)
Most docs agree, nothing in the first tri, then a very occasional drink won't cause harm. I had a small glass of wine at Christmas and one on our ann. and all is well with DD!
Hey girl! I am good! Just ready for my 20 week appointment!I am getting married on the 14th of October and I will find out the 11th what we are having! Now we have to come up with a good, fun way to tell everyone at the wedding! Everyone keeps asking me if I know what it is yet I think I am going to put a tattoo on my freaking forehead! LOL! Yeah it amazes me how people know the affect of smoking and still do it as if they were not pregnant! I will be having a glass of wine on my wedding day! I asked the doc. and he said to do it and have fun! How are you doing? How many weeks are you now? Are you having a boy again?
None of my docs have ever ok'd drinking while pg as they do not know how much or how little it takes to cause problems with baby.

Andi
I've been told that wine is actually very good for you.  Well, red wine.  It has many helpful antioxidants...calms the nerves and help with sleep....that said...i haven't had any sincei got pg.  I'm jsut too paranoid to try...but my sister's Dr. told her she could have up to 1 glass of red wine a week...and she did just that.  I think it depends on personal preference.  I'm just too scared.
I will have a glass of wine at family get togethers, a night out for dinner or what have you. My sister had a glass very often with her dd and that is the smartest child. Not to say it works out for everyone, but, I have had my share of 1-glass red wine's during this preg and I'm due next week.
What an exciting mo OCT will be!!!!!
That will be sooo fun trying to find out a good way to tell everyone.

Yep & I saved all my stuff so thats good. I'm 28wk2dy.
I saw a woman yesterday & she asked what I was having (she knew I had 1 boy already) so I told her another baby boy & she says Well thats too bad if you were having a girl you could be call it quits. How crazy? I wasn't aware thats how this baby thing wks :) LOL It didn't ever matter to me what I was having b/c when u see blood thats such a reality ck, you realize you'll take whichever God wants to give out :) I think w/ the 1st people are usually alot better at being nice w/ either sex.
Wow you are getting close! I know but I am so ready for October to be over with!  Then we will have to find another place to live becuse we live in a 2 bedroom town home and are already packed in! Then we have to start looking for another car... a van! Wow! Then November is DD#2 birthday and thanksgiving and then of course is christmas and then in January I will be huge and ready to put myself on bed rest! LOL! Well I want a boy but of course it doesn't matter as long as it is healthy! I have 2 girls and a step daughter so it would be nice to have just 1 head of hair that bI do not have to do! Dh can do what ever the heck he wants to with his head! LOL!
I think it's important to note that (I've read anyways) drinking wine or before 2nd trimester is supposedly a lot more serious than having a glass here or there later on.
As for me, I haven't had any- but I'd probably drink a half a glass on a special occasion.
Just because red wine is good for you normally is not a good reason alone to drink it during pregnancy. There are tons of things that are healthy for you normally, but very bad during pregnancy, so throw that out the window. However, I honestly doubt that having a glass of wine is any different from having a cup or two of coffee during pregnancy. Moderation and limitation is a very good thing. Its actually very accepted to drink some wine regularly in Europe while pregnant.
That is what I heard! I heard that definetly do not do it in the 1rst trimester and don't do it as much in the 3rd. I guess to each it's own. I had a friend that did it once a week with a glass of wine with all 3 of her kids and they are all fine! In the 1rst she didn't have any! And starting in her 3rd she would have one glass every 2 weeks! All of her girls are healthy and smart! Just wish they could find out more info on this subject!
thanks hun! You are so right!
Have you got your wedding plans together? Wow & moving too, I think you may be getting a life makeover :) LOL PLus a baby!! & a van!! :) Are you thinking of letting the preacher announce the sex of baby or are yall going to. I was thinking you could always (you when u & DH turn toward the crowd)& the preacher ann. for the first time like... It's my pleasure to introduce to you for the first time MR.&MRS.BLAH BLAH along w/ their daughter or along w/ their son. Or maybe you could have colors on certain things repres.. the sex. OH your mind has got to be racing w/ sooo amny thoughts, the best thing is that in the end it'll be sooo fun telling no matter how yall do it. Oh have someone standup when they say who objects & tell everyone the sex J/K :) LoL but it would be a sure way to see all their expressions
Girl my mind is racing everyday! I thought about at the reception sending DH into the bathroom and change his shirt to say it's a .... What ever it is! I think we will go all out if it is a boy because that is what all our friends and family wants! It really stinks that I have only 3 days to come up with something! Yeah everything is planned and ready to go! I had my bridal shower Sunday and then I get my final fitting for my dress this weekend!
My doc said it's totally ok to have an occasional glass of wine.  I am 33 weeks and have had 3-4 glasses of wine in total.  I usually mix it with Sprite.  I had them at a wedding or dinner parties.  I had one full glass of red during vacation.  I have also had a few sips of DH's beer.  It's a personal choice and you should not be judged by it as long as it's ok with your doc.
When a Dr. gives you medicine, they weigh benefit against risk to decide if it's worth it. Medically speaking, there is no benefit to drinking alcohol, and there are known risks, as well as possible risks. Just ask yourself: Would I take a medication that had possible risks to my baby? Probably not unless there was some benefit much greater than the perceived risk. At least that's the way I see it.
well ilove my drinks. but when i was pg i took a sip of dh beer and felt guilty. how dare i give in to temptation so selfishly when my little one had no choice. its only 9 months. i guess its every womans decision but i say why give the possiblity to problems simply for a glass or two? im not ;saying your wrong to do so. its our choice. im just giving you my opinion like you asked.
I think it's fine.  People like to make it into an issue of righteousness, more than common sense and moderation.  I enjoyed beer and wine frequently before learning that I was pregnant.  Now that I am pregnant, I have found beer and wine less appealing as a choice of beverage with dinner.  I will not say no to a glass of wine, or a beer when dining out, or for a special occasion for fear of harming my baby.  According the reading I have done, and how my body responds to moderate alchol intake, I feel it's perfectly acceptable for me to drink occasionally, in moderation.  I'm finding that I naturally know what's good for my body, and my baby.
It is definitley ok after the 1st trimester. I used to have the occasional glass of wine with my first, and i plan on doing the same with this one. It relaxes your nerves and red wine is good for your heart and has antioxidents. But only 1 or 2 glasses a week. Youre liver digests most of the alcohol and by the time it reaches the placenta theres a miniscule amount left. So yes an occasional beer or glass of wine is perfectly ok, dont believe te hype and judgement passed on mothers who enjoy and occational glass of wine. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is caused by comsuming large amounts of alcohol and no studies have shown facts that small amounts affect your unborn baby! So relax and sit back and enjoy a glass of red wine on a quiet saturday night and be guilt free!!
i am 12 weeks and was a big drinker b4 i fell pregnet but stoped as soon as i found out but twice in the last few weeks i have had at least 6 beers i am a bit worried
if you can't make the decision to stay away from things that have even a one percent chance of harming your baby then you shouldn't be having a child.
They just did a very extensive study in Europe that everyone in America is ignoring proving that the children of women (in all socioeconomic, racial, etc. backgrounds) who had 1-2 glasses of wine a week outperformed those of the women who were abstinent in health screenings, cognitive abilities, overall intelligence. My doctor, my sister's doctor both said that a small glass or two of red wine a week could actually help with blood pressure and was certainly nothing to worry about. There are health benefits or wine that go largely ignored by our culture because it just gets lumped in as "alcohol", but it really isn't in the same category as a beer or a mohito.