Maternal & Child Community
wine during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

wine during pregnancy

Hi, my friend is ttc right now. Her and her husband collect wine from all over the world and love to drink all different kinds of wine w/ different foods etc. Her Dr. told her that it's ok to drink red wine during pregnancy and that it will help her conceive. That the wine will help morning sickness and put her into a state of calm so she is more relaxed, therefor the baby is more relaxed,and that it will help her pregnancy symptoms all around. Is this true?
I don't know, this just seemed very odd to me. I have always thought that any drinking during pregnancy was bad. But this Dr. is saying that it's actualy good for the baby. (just red wine) I think if a Dr. told me that I would probably think about changing Dr.s But she said that this is the best Ob/GYN in the whole Phoenix area.
What do you all think about this?
well id say it depends on how much he is telling her is ok to drink. if he says daily, id get another opinion. ive read a glass a week or a month is ok, i wouldnt, but some gals i know did. every dr seems different on the drinking issue. even the best dr in town may have advice that isnt the best. i hope all goes well for your friend.
You are absolutely right, it is not worth the stress!
Red wine is safe. I am not big on red wine, but my Italian neighbor introduce me to a really good red wine right before I got prego and I would have a glass here and there. Probably no more then 3 glasses a month. I have a beautiful, healthy baby. She, on the other hand drank red wine every day while prego and has also healthy, smart, active 3 year old boy. As long as your friend knows the limit, she should be fine!
I know my doctor says absolutely no alcohol and that certainly is what I am sticking to.
I have treated at two different places with my pregnancies. Right now I'm treating at the Mayo Clinic and I have been told the same thing. Red wine only and no more than a glass occasionally. I had about a half of a glass of red wine on Sunday night with family and it was so good and I felt so relaxed. Of course, DH wasn't too thrilled with it, but I assured him it's fine. I will do it again probably a couple of times throughout this pregnancy, too. It's fine.
I'm sure this is going to stir up some controversy, which I want no part of. Just stating that ahead of time, just incase!
I am also in the minority here, i have never had a doc okay any amount of alcohol while pg or TTC, red wine or otherwise. March of Dimes has done a lot of research on this and their firm stance is that no one knows how much is too much so it is just best to abstain.

Andrea
I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to take a chance.  I tried for 7 yrs to conceive and finally gave up.  I was never a much of a drinker but we had a wedding to go to and I drank some marqurita's.  Later that month we went for dinner with friends and I drank again.  I found out I was pregnant at 12 wks (thought I couldn't get pregnant so it never occured to me) Anyway, I spent the entire pregnancy worried that something would be wrong with my baby.    
Drinking wine once in a while is good.  It really depends on the frequency that the dr suggested.
I don't think one glass of red wine every once in awhile is going to hurt your baby.  It's all about moderation.  I've had a sip here and there but never an entire glass.  I wouldn't have a margarita or a scotch :)

This is an interesting article I found:
For those who question why drinking while pregnant has become so taboo in U.S. society in such a short period of time I find that many are of the opinion that it has more to do with insurance than protecting you and your unborn child. The statistics and studies on the topic are extremely limited and most often contradict each other. For example: A Dr. Micheal Samuals of the New York Doctors Hospital related that: "less than 0.1% of all birth defects are related to alcohol, and that more than 90% of the affected children are born to women with a history of alcohol abuse." This implies that on a societal level alcohol is not as large a problem as it is being made out to be. Especially when considering that the United States is the forerunner in putting restrictions such as alcohol consumption on pregnant women and yet, we rank 28 amongst the developed countries of the world in infant mortality rates.
But, given what was written in that article, could we possibly conclude that we have such a low percentage of birth defects related to alcohol BECAUSE we view it's consumption during pregnancy as taboo? Or did I misunderstand the article?

I am going out on a limb to also say that perhas the reason our infant mortality rate is where it is isn't due to alcohol, but more likely due to drugs, improper/inadequate access to healthcare, or any number of other factors?

Not out to start an argument, just thinking out loud.

(Forgive any random "o's" my dh ate cookies while using the laptop and broke it! It takes 10 minutes to type anything because i have to keep erasing "o's"!!)oo
i didnt drink with my son nor would i if i should become pg again. sure a few glasses during a pg wont cause harm, but its more of the what if. say you have a baby and it has some problem. wont you always accociate that to what if the wine caused it? i see it this way, if you wouldnt put it in a bottle for your baby, dont put it in your mouth while pg. :)  just my little opinion
If women should limit themselves to 0 glasses of red wine throughout their entire pregnancies then they sure as hell had better limit their intake of diet coke to 0 glasses too.  Diet coke is way worse in my opinion:  caffeine PLUS aspartame.  A little off topic but it's just interesting to me that people will get so passionate about women drinking wine in moderation (I'm talking one glass or two glasses of wine the entire pregnancy) but yet those same women will leisurely drink a diet coke a day throughout their pregnancies, or coffee, etc.        
I agree, but I have yet to hear of Caffeine Affect Syndrome: ) (though they do suspect that amount over 250mg can lead to m/c, at least there they have a number) Really, I do think that priorities can be screwed up, some will freak out about a hotdog/tylenol/direction of the breeze, but not about other things that are much more serious. In mymind, alcohol is serious.
I am no doctor but as far as the m/c and caffeine thing, i just don't know.  My first pregnancy I did everything right.  No caffeine, no alchohol, nothing.   I didn't even go on a boat because I was told it might be to bumpy and I lost my baby at 9weeks.  The second time, same story, lost that one too.  I am now 17 weeks and work crazy hours including 18hr shifts and all night and have coffee probably 3 times a week and this baby seems to be fine so far.  Who knows why people miscarry.  It makes me so mad when these people who do drugs and drink have perfectly healthy babies and the ones that are so careful have problems.  As for red wine, I heard its good for you every once in awhile.  It helps with blood flow.  I had half a glass one night becuase I couldn't sleep but I wouldn't make a habit out of it.  I guess its all about personal opinion.  
wow.. i was told red wine was unnacceptable in pregnancy:S I don;t know.. I choose not to drink:)
I agree with you abou pop.  It is not good for anyone.  And I hate aspartane.  I am having one cup of tea a day.  My doc said I could have up to three, but it doesn't agree with me.
I don't think drinking any kind of alcohol during pregnancy is a good idea.  Children can be affected by it in ways that parents may not find out about until the child is several years old.  I mean, come on, is it really that hard to stay away from red wine for nine months?  Doesn't a good grape juice have the same health benefits but minus the alcohol?  It's too much to gamble with for me but to each her own.  
I am pregnant with my 5th kid, and I can say that my doc. recomended I drink a glass of red wine about once maybe twice a week. (small glass) I did not feel comfortable with the idea of alcohol while preg. so I talked to the Pharmacist and he recomended I take the Red Wine Pills. They offer all the benifits minus the alcohol. Can't beat that... They are usually in the vitamine section at Walgreens. If you are like me and worry more about your unborn than your own selfish cravings than these are a wonderful solution.
My childrens grandmother drank while pregnant and nursing...she wears it helped her son sleep. I'm sure it did, among other things. He didn't end up with FAS, but he has learning disabilities and has had so many others problems that we ended up seperating. I am sure he would have been a great guy otherwise. It's not worth the risk, you want your child to start out with all the best advantages. Maybe a glass is fine but maybe it isn't. Not worth the risk to me, now a mother of three.
While it has long been accepted that consuming large amounts of alcohol during a pregnancy can be extremely harmful to the unborn baby, recent research is showing that consuming a small amount of wine during pregnancy does not seem to be harmful, and in some cases, might even be beneficial. It seems that there is a lot of conflicting information out there, and it leaves pregnant women wondering: is wine safe to drink during their pregnancy?

A recent UK study looked at cognitive and behavioral issues in 3-year-old children and interviewed their mothers as to alcohol usage during the pregnancy. As expected, the children of those who drank heavily showed the biggest behavioral problems and lapses in cognitive ability. What was surprising however was that those mothers who consumed small amounts of wine during pregnancy had children who performed better than those who had abstained altogether.

For the purposes of the study, a small amount, or light drinking was classified as no more than two small drinks (4 oz. of wine, or 10 oz. of weak beer) on one occasion, and no more than two occasions occurring per week. The study found no difference in effects between women who drank these small amounts somewhat regularly, and those who drank once or twice during the course of their pregnancy.

Since this study is relatively new, major policy-making bodies in the UK, as well as those in the US, still recommend drinking no wine during pregnancy, just to be on the safe side. In light of the new information however, one major UK body has suggested that it is quite all right for women to drink lightly during the second and third trimesters, but advocate complete abstinence in the first.

With this information, it seems that women, who wish to drink a small amount of wine during pregnancy, can do so without worrying about doing their unborn child harm. Since the health benefits of drinking moderate amounts of red wine have been well-documented, some women may not wish to give it up altogether during pregnancy. Of course, if you have any misgivings at all, it's probably best to abstain altogether.

When in doubt, feel free to ask your doctor, is wine safe? Chances are, she will have her own opinion on the matter, and will be happy to share her reasons with you. A good OB/GYN will stay current on the latest research and will be able to apply it to your situation. As with so many other things, the matter of drinking wine during pregnancy seems to be resolved with the idea that moderation is key. If you have any doubts at all about your ability to limit yourself to two or less small glasses no more than twice a week, you might consider abstaining altogether. If that is in any way a problem, don't hesitate to talk to your doctor.

Drinking wine during pregnancy is not necessarily a bad thing, so if you can exercise moderation, you can probably do it in a safe manner.

You can find helpful information about wine during pregnancy and everything you need to know about is wine safe at Aha! Baby.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Sandra_B_Wilson