Maternal & Child Community
worried about having a dnc? the side effects of scarring

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi everyone, thank you for your advice.
I checked in to the E.R., had bllod work done, 2 ultra sounds, only to be told that I was having a miscarriage. I am 13 weeks, but the baby only measured at six weeks.

My dnc is scheduled for this morning, my family is hanging in there. I don't think that I've fully comprehended what has happened. Is this normal?

What is the healing process like after the dnc?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
I have heard so many horror stories from women who were scarred and not able to conceive after one.  I also belong to the forum for misdiagnosed miscarriages and their are tons of stories about why not to have a DNC unless you have to.  Do you have to?  I would say do it naturally if you can.  I miscarried in 04  it took a long time - but it gave me closeure and I was able to get pregnant 3 months later.  My docs suggested DNC but I got a second opinion.  The new OB said some docs just want the issue resolved and that DNC is a "fast"   otion.  Make sure you have to have it before you do it!
Best of luck.
I think you should do it naturally if you can.  My first 2 m/c this year were quick and natural but my last I needed the d&e...I waited 3.5 weeks and it would not happen. The placenta then started to leak into my uterus...

I definitely did not have a healthy pregnancy and yet my body was desparately holding onto it.

Just be careful...don't put yourself at risk.
I had a m/c similar to this. I went in at 12 1/2 weeks and had u/s that found a sac measuring 8 weeks but no baby in it, no heartbeat. I had the d&c at 13 weeks. DOn't worry. It won't be bad. Mine went well, I had minimal bleeding adn spotting for about a week, no cramping at all. I wouldn't worry about scarring either. Plus I went on to have a healthy pregnancy. I think the D&C just helps to get on with our lives, especially when we are so far along like that and nothing is happening to cause it to m/c naturally.

MGI: I don't mean to bring up a bad topic, and I know this is a sensative issue, but I've gone to that website of misdiagnosed miscarriage and almost all of the stories are of women who are 5 or 6 weeks and don't see a heartbeat on the screen. That early, its truly barbaric to tell a woman she's miscarrying. But at 12 or 13 weeks, there's no denying that something is wrong and a D&C can be a saving grace to a woman who can't bear to go on another 12 weeks waiting for what would have been her baby to pass naturally. It is a very different circumstance at 6 weeks and at 13 weeks.
I am so sorry for your loss..
If an experienced dr. is performing your surgery you should have no worries about scarring.  You can ask them ahead of time to do minimal scraping.  The only thing that really needs time to heal after this procedure is your broken heart but that will get better over time..  

after the procedure you will be a bit crampy and may bleed or spot for up to 2 weeks.  Wait at least 1 period before trying again...

I had a D&C back in January and i am now 7 months pregnant with a healthy baby boy.. so just know that you will be OK too!

Good luck and i hope you feel better!
I was 12 weeks
also it depends on which thread you are reading on misdiagnosed.  The one for missses are early on - but the others aren't

you are right

But everyone is different - I am into natural when possible so I say if possible go natural JMO!
I'm sorry you have to go through this.  I had a d&c done on 9/2.  The procedure is pretty quick and you're put under so you don't feel anything.  I had some cramping and spotting for about a week and then was ok.  I got my af a little bit more than 5 weeks later.  I think it's more harder emotionally than physically but it does get better.  (Hugs)
I think you should go natural as long as everything is fine. I m/c naturally last year but had some left over lining. I new something was wrong when I started to cramp agian. My gyno said it was time for a dnc. Unfortunately when I hadn't concieved again in 12months I went back and saw him and I had suffered some scarrign which is what I was afraid of. It means that I do not build up as much lining as I should. I would advise to go natural as far as possible but know that if you ever feel you need the dnc you can always change your mind. Sorry for your loss Good luck.
I had a d&e on 9/29, from what I hear my procedure is a little less invasive but I've been doing great.

I had minimal bleeding...for a day or two after but very painful cramping.  I had to take medicine after to contract my uterus and it did feel like labor pains...not as intense obviously as real labor but more than a period definitely.

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I've had 3 since March and there is no comforting words to a mother at this time.  

JUST KNOW GOD IS WITH YOU AND HE IS HOLDING YOUR BABY CLOSE TO HIM NOW.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEAR FOR YOUR CHILD ANYMORE HE IS SAFE IN HIS FATHERS ARMS.

I had a d&c on 9/19 and I was terrified. But it all turned out fine I had a bit of bleeding a little cramping but not too bad. I think on some ways it's better than waiting for a m/c. I waited & bled for 2 weeks and no m/c. In 20 mins, the whole d&c was over and I was spared having to see anything come out which I know would've been difficult for me. I am sure you'll be okay, and I am sorry you are going through this too.
I had a D&C last October b/c I miscarried identical twins at 11 weeks.  You REALLY need to make sure you have a doctor that knows what they are doing and has a lot of experience.  Physical recovery isn't that bad, but dealing with your emotions is the hard part.  My mom stayed with me for a week after (husband had to go back to work), and I was holding it together rather well.  BUT the day she left I fell apart b/c I was at home by myself and I had nothing else to do but face my emotions.  Took me another week to pull it together before returning to work.  It has been a hard year, but just remember that time really does heal some of your pain.
IM SORRY FOR WHAT YOUR GOING THREW!!!!! I'VE BEEN THREW THAT MYSELF...DNC IS NOT PAINFULL AT ALL!!!!THERES REALLY NO PAIN AFTER THE SURGERY..ITS ONLY LIKE A 30MIN PROCESS....YOUR HEALING PROCESS AS FAR AS LOSING THE BABY IS HARD, HOWEVER YOUR HORMONES RIGHT NOW ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE...WHEN I GOT MY PERIOD BACK I FELT SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER..I PROMISE IT WILL GET BETTER!!ONCE AGAIN IM SO SORRY AND I WISH U ALL THE BEST!!!GODBLESS SWEETHEART!!!
I had  a d&c july 13th. Had an unltrasound that day and found out baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks. I got AF six 1/2 weeks later., although I did hav elaot of bad cramping and back pains, actually the worst I have ever had, found out it was because i had an infection of the cervix. But dont worry, 2 AF's later and I am pregnant. So it all works out ok. You'll be fine. Juts rest plenty, and if u get any abnormal pain, see the doc. Good luck darl,
I had an DNC just two days ago. I have been trying for years to get pregnant, as fast as I found out I lost the baby. There was just the sac no baby. I am so nervous and keep blaming myself wondering if there is anything I could have done. ONly time will heal is what I am hearing I can only hope that is true.