Maternal & Child Community
worried about picking up toddler while in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hi everyone, my dh and i have a really hard time get preggers but after multiple failed ivf's we are finally 6w's pregnant!!! woohoo!!  we have a 2year old at home that was also concieved thru ivf.  so since it is sooooo hard for me to get pregnant, the thought of anything happening to this pregnancy and starting all over again (especially at my age - 37) is literally unbearable.  my hcg and progesterone levels were not great at first but are now doing fine.  we go in on monday for an u/s to see the hearbeat and i'll feel much better after that.  

so here's my concern:  do you think it's okay to lift my dd??  i mean it's kinda impossible to avoid (nap time, high chair, bed time, diaper changes, car seat...etc) and i've been limiting it as much as possible.  she's not happy about it.  i don't carry her around and especially not up and down stairs.... but i'm still constantly stressing about it and worrying that i'm going to cause myself to m/c.  has anyone heard anything about whether or not that's possible.  should i be worrying about this????
I picked my son up from the very beginning.  He is 2 and weighs 30 lbs.  My dr. said just dont do anything you didnt do BEFORE you got preggo!!  I am 22 weeks now!!
It's kind of hard to avoid.  I have an 18 month old and am 25 weeks pregnant, and have definitely been doing my best to pick him up only when necessary, mainly putting him in his carseat.  I'd say as long as you lift the right way (squatting and then lifting straight up) it really shouldn't hurt anything besides your back :) I'd say you're doing the right thing by not just carrying them around all the time, that's just asking for a back problem
i'm the same (have a 21-mo, 4-yr and 7yr. .at least the oldest isnt always whining to be held.) i've heard as long as your pregnancy is not considered high-risk, it's fine to carry them around but its mostly your back you need to worry about... loose ligaments can mean easy tweaking, which is bad. we've settled on having the toddler sit in my lap more, and more hugs while he's standing.
Steps right on don't do anything u didn't do before. Most bks say don't lift over 20lbs or it may be 25lbs, either way your body is probably so used to carrying your 2yr around that u have nothing to worry about. DS is 2 & 25lbs & I'm 34wks so I just try to avoid the carseat since I'd be squishing baby Jordan Isaiah in my tum :) but besides that I do everything I did before. Good Luck!! Also when picking her up be sure to bend at your knees.
thanks ladies... that makes me feel better!  i've got to stop obsessing about this but it's hard b/c of what i've been thru.  i am considered high risk b/c of my age.  i haven't been do the knee bending thing but will start now.  i'm glad to hear that my body should be used to picking her up and if anything, i'm doing less picking up and carrying around than i was b4 so hopefully i'll be okay.  fingers crossed for monday!!!!!!!! thanks again...
I've picked my dd up the whole of my pregnancy its really hard to avoid and now im 37 weeks dd is 19 months I did have a m/c prior to my current pregnancy at 12 weeks but knew nothing could of avoided it. I wouldnt worry too much I just cant pick my daughter up soon due to having a c section but wont be going far anyway. Good luck.
I understand the fear you have, I have had many losses and always had some fear that something would happen. But in reality there is an old saying some have adopted on here "You can't shake a good egg loose" And for the most part it is true. I now have three boys, the oldest will be 5 in a month,the middle one is almost 2.5 years old, and the youngest is only 11 days old. Needless to say, I have done a lot of lifting in my pregnancies. Ironically, the ones where I threw my hands up and let things fall where they may, I have been successful.

Don't do anything your doctor doesn't approve of, but you need to be able to comfort your dd.

Andi
congratulations on the birth of your recent baby boy!  and, thanks for the sound advice.  i'm sure i will repeat that saying in my head when those worry thoughts come creeping in... i've not heard that one b4.  it's a good one... simple, to the point yet very meaningful.  thanks again.