wrong gender ultrasound
Is it possible for ultrasound tech to mistake gender at 16 weeks?
It is definitely possible!  Don't pick out pink curtains yet!
Unfortunately, they can never be 100% accurate.  I ended up needing 4 ultrasounds done from 20 weeks on, and for each one they'd say, "yup, it looks like a girl still", but they'd always say they were 98% sure (never 100%).  Supposedly, if they see that it's a boy, there's a greater chance of it being accurate b/c it's hard to mistake the penis for something else, whereas with an ultrasound that reveals a girl, you never know if it's actually a boy and his penis is just tucked down or hiding.  =)  If you pick out the pink (or blue) drapes, just keep the receipts!
Oh, I meant to ask... is the tech telling you it's a boy or a girl?  Just curious.  =)  
they were wrong with my baby! I was told by three different doctors that it was a girl... they even said they thought it would be a 7 lb girl 2 days before I went into labor. On Sept 5th 2008 I gave birth to a 10 lb 1.1 oz boy! I was the 1% that year that they messed up on. haha i had bought girl stuff and washed all the clothes and had a pink baby shower and painted the room purple with pink butterflies and a white crib! I could not return anything in the end, but it was alright. my best friend ended up having a girl a month later so she inherited all my girl stuff! i would go with your gut! I knew i was having a boy in the back of my mind and had dreams about him, but ignored them because of the 3 different doctors telling me it was a girl. i know next time, i do not want to know the sex just from my personal experience.
oh yea. when i was preganat with my 2nd one the whole 32wks they told me he was a girl we found out he was a boy when he was born.
My cousins best friend was told her whole pregnancy she was having a girl, the room was all decked out in pink, all the pink clothes were washed and the tags were gone. She brought home a little boy.
If you have doubts I would request another u/s later on!
yera it's possible but it is very very rare
Absolutely possible. Why are they trying to get the sex at 16 weeks anyway? 20 weeks is the proper time to try and see the sex of baby and they can be wrong then.
Olga-No it really isn't that rare, especially at only 16 weeks.
well the tech said it was boy, and its just that this pregnancy is soo different than the othe ones which were boys, i have had excruciating morning sickness and acne and to: My_Girl_Alysa the reason for my 16 week ultrasound was b/c i had to get a cerclage placed due to IC, and I get ultrasounds done on a regular basis, however i have not had a follow-up one yet, i will be getting that one done on fri.So many people are saying that girls can still be mistaken for boys at 16 weeks because of the indifferent part and the labia can still be swollen and look like a nub on the ultrasound. I just want to be positive before getting too many things for him..
Yes..I was told with my 3rd at 16 wks it was a girl. I went back for my 20 wks ultrasound and It's a Boy...
so did your tech tell u a girl because of lack of a penis or did the tech see three white line