Maternal Expert Forum
Birth control pills and light periods
About This Forum:

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Birth control pills and light periods

I am on birth control pills and I don't think I missed any this month.  On the day my period was due, I started spotting.  It has been very light, and I don't have bad cramps like I usually do.  This has happened before at least once.  I am not taking any antibiotics.  The only medication I was taking was phentermine, for weight loss.  Could I be pregnant?  Should I get a test, and if so, when?
Related Discussions

_
This is a common question for women on oral contraceptive pills (OCP's). Over the course of time, OCP's gradually thin out the lining of the uterus (the endometrium). This results in generally lighter and lighter periods, and, for some women, actually missing a period. As long as there is at least some spotting, pregnancy is extremely unlikely.
These lighter or missed periods are not harmful. To increase the menstrual flow (if a patient desires), I will often prescribe a short course of estrogen (such as Premarin 1.25 to 2.5 mg per day) for the first 10 days of the next cycle to replenish the endometrium.

Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979