Maternal Expert Forum
Chadwick's Sign

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Chadwick's Sign

Posted by Beth on May 01, 1999 at 16:34:27
Hi!  A few days ago I noticed that my vaginal lips were blue and they have continued to be that way.  I have heard that this is Chadwick's sign of pregnancy.  I am wondering if anything else could turn that area a bluish shade.  I am also late on my period.  The last period I had began around March 23, 1999.  I was with my husband before that time and after until April 2, 1999, then I went on a trip and was gone until April 16, 1999 at which time we resumed having intercourse.  Could I be pregnant?  I also have been feeling bloated and tired.  I have taken 3 $1 dollar store pregnancy tests, two came back negative and 1 had a very, very light pink line.  The tests didn't work in the 3-4 minutes that the box says they are supposed to.  The test didn't finish until about half an hour later.  This is why I question the results.  I would like more information on Chadwicks sign please, since I can't find it anywhere.  The timing also seems off for pregnancy, but we have been married 4 years and have not used protection and have never had any children.  I also have never had blue lips before.  Please help me it is really weird when you don't know why your body turns weird colors.

Posted by HFHS M.D. - dar on May 03, 1999 at 08:45:00
Chadwick originally reported this observation in 1886.  During pregnancy the vaginal mucosa appears bluish/ purplish-red.  This change in color is caused by increased blood flow.   This change in color is only suggestive of pregnancy, not diagnostic.  Any condition that causes congestion  in the pelvis could be present with similar findings.   Chadwick's sign was also  reported on the vaginal mucosa...Not the outer lips of the vagina or labia.  You may wish to see you OB/GYN physician to have an examination to determine the reason for the discoloration.

This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have questions pertaining to your health.