Maternal Expert Forum
Corpus Luteum pain??
About This Forum:

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Corpus Luteum pain??

Posted by Diana on April 25, 1999 at 17:58:10
Dear Doctor,
2 months ago I had a miscarriage at 3 weeks pregnant. Before I found out I was pregnant I had SEVERE pain on or near my left ovary. But it also felt extremely low in my abdomen, near my hip socket. I tested negative on an HPT a few days before so my OB thought it was an ovarian cyst due to Clomid (I also have PCOS). NO pain meds helped, even Ultram. Tested positive on an HPT a few days later and was checked for an ectopic pregnancy which was negative. All they saw on my left ovary was a Graafian follicle cyst. I guess that's the same thing as a corpus lutem?? They didn't mention anything about it being big, they just said it would dissipate in time, which it did. When I moved my bowels or even emptied my bladder, I would feel better. By the time I miscarried a few days after finding out I was pegnant, the cyst was gone. Could that horrific pain I had be the corpus lutem?? If so, why did it hurt SO MUCH??? I thought I was the only one who has ever had this but I found out that a woman I work with, who is 3 months pregnant, also had this pain. What is it, what causes it and why?? Thank you for your time.
Diana
Posted by hfhs.md.rcs on April 27, 1999 at 00:02:44
Dear Diana:
A corpus luteum is the site on the ovary where the egg was released. A graffian follicle is an egg unit that has failed to release. They are different.
Bleeding into a corpus luteum or a follicle is the likely cause of pain in the ovary that resolves with the involution of pregnancy. This is a self-limited issue that requires only symptom treatment (pain medication) and is not likely to recur in another pregnancy.
A second possibility is something in the fallopian tube that is being expelled. A tubal abortion is one example.
Keywords: ovary pain, pregnancy, miscarriage
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please speak with your physcian.