Maternal Expert Forum
How to calculate cycle length when spotting

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

I am trying to get pregnant and am confused as to what day I should count as day one of my cycle. I have 2 to 3 days of light spotting prior to red bleeding every cycle. If I count the first day that I notice spotting as day 1 then my period (including spotting) ranges from 7 to 9 days on a 26 day cycle. I will usually start spotting on day 26 and will have spotting anywhere from 2 to 4 days before red bleeding and another cycle begins.  The length of my red flow varies from 3 to 5 days; I have had a 26 day cycle for the past 4 months since I began charting. Is this pattern normal and is spotting "day 1" of my cycle? Secondly, I was curious if there was anything I could do to increase the amount of my cervical mucus other than drink lots of water. Even with increased fluids, my cm is very scanty.  Finally, while I am trying to concieve (conceive), is it okay to take a bath every night, i.e. is there any concern that my soaking in a hot tub will prevent my ability to conceive? Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts.
Dear Emily:
Spotting belongs to the end of the cycle. Day one is the first day of real menstrual flow.
Spotting in the second half of the cycle can indicate a luteal phase hormonal problem, irritation of the endometrial lining, endometrial polyps.
Cervical mucus is difficult to influence. If is stimulated to increase water content by estrogen. Hydration has unclear value.
Bathing daily is not an influence on fertility. If you are bathing in a sauna for longer than 10 minutes, you may be increasing the temperature in the pelvic organs and this is not recommended in early pregnancy.
Keywords: cycle day 1, cervical mucus, bathing/fertility
This information is provided for education purpsoes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please speak with your physician.