Maternal Expert Forum
Hyperthyroidism and Fertility

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Hyperthyroidism and Fertility

Please help!!!   I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism approx. 2 yrs ago.  My endocrinologist says it's borderline, and he doesn't want to treat unless it gets worse.  I want to get pregnant, but he advises to treat hyperthyroidism first.  I'm 36 years old, have never been pregnant(never tried until now), and the clock is ticking.  Also I am overweight(with hyperthyroidism?), and have clinical depression, which is under control with Prozac.  My question is are there meds that I can take w/o taking radioactive iodine,that will normalize my pregnancy chances, and decrease my miscarriage risk, and is safe during pregnancy.  Should I get a second opinion?  Or is my endocrinologist right in stating that I should not get pregnant until thyroid  is treated ?  I'm going crazy, please help!
Dear Susan:
It is best to begin pregnancy with any medical issues in remission: it is more challenging to treat most conditions during pregnancy and the choice of treatments is limited.
Hyperthyroidism can be medically managed using drugs which block the uptake and use of iodine: propylthiouracil is a common choice. Radioactive iodine does treat the thyroid gland; precludes pregnancy for 3 months to allow time for the agent to be cleared from your body; will likely lead to hypothyroidism and the need for thyroid hormone later in life. Some types of thyroid overactivity can be managed with surgery.
If you seek a second opinion, a maternal fetal medicine physician can help you understand the risks of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy and therapies that are "baby friendly".
Keywords: hyperthyroidism
This information isprovided for education purposes only and is not a medical consutlation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.