Maternal Expert Forum
Luteal Phase

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Luteal Phase

Can you explain how or what can help increase the length of the luteal phase.
  My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 5 months with no
  luck. I am currently reading "Taking Control of your Fertility" but do not
  completely understand the Luteal Phase. I am 31, healthy,have never
  conceived before, currently taking pre-natals, don't drink, or smoke.My
  husband is 28 and healthy also. We excercise quite a bit, but not overly.
  My luteal phase appears to be approx. 10 days. But I understand you may be
  able to increase it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dear Stephanie:
Ten (10) days is a normal length to the luteal phase. The average is 14 days and the normal range is 10-16 days.
The luteal phase is the time from ovulation until the next menstrual flow: during this time, the lining of the uterus is prepared to be supportive of the fertilized egg.
An abnormal luteal phase, defined as less than 10 days length and/or less than adequate development of the endometrial lining taken by endometrial biopsy can be improved by (1) progesterone supplementation (oral, injection, or vaginal suppository therapy, beginning the days following a positive urine ovulation detect kit test); 2. Clomiphene administered early in the follicular phase of the cycle (I use days 3-7 when I am trying to correct a luteal phase defect; the dose must be adjusted to the person, and 100 mg daily is a commonly effective dose); 3. injection of hCG on the day of the positive urine ovulation detection kit test has not been as useful as the preceeding therapies in my judgement. Finally, gonadotropin-stimulated ovulation is the final option.
Occasionally a short luteal phase reflects abnormalities of prolactin secretion, thryoid function, exercise programs.
This information is provided for general education purposes only and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.
Keywords: luteal phase.