Maternal Expert Forum
Newborn - Chicken Pox

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Newborn - Chicken Pox

My sister's new baby is four weeks old and has been exposed to chicken pox.
  She was exposed as long ago as 2 weeks.  She is fussy today and most likely is
  coming down with the illness.  My question is - Is there anything special we
  should do for a newborn in regards to treating chicken pox?  Any suggestions
  will be appreciated.  Thank you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lynette :
Any baby less than 8 weeks of age with a fever of 100.4 F or 38 C rectally ( which may  occur with any viral or bacterial infection ) has to be evaluated by a health care professional. Blood tests may have to be drawn , a urine test maybe done , and any suspicion of meningitis would warrant  a lumbar puncture for spinal fluid examination . The history of your niece being exposed to chicken pox does not change that management .
Any patient presenting with the typical lesions of chicken pox has to be isolated from other children ( i.e ; if she is in a day care setting ) until no new lesions develop and all old lesions are dry and crusted ( about 5-7 days ) . fever is covered by antipyretics ( NO ASPIRIN ) ( some suggest even no ibuprofen ) , AVEENO baths maybe helpful to reduce the itching . Don
A related discussion, Neonatal exposure to  her mother having Shingles(Herpes Zoster infection) was started.