Maternal Expert Forum
Pregnant and no hCG?
About This Forum:

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pregnant and no hCG?

My last menstruation was July 4.  I am very regular and have never been more than two days late except when pregnant last year. (Gave birth 7/19/97 via C-section)  Have taken 1 home test, 2 urine tests at doctor's office, and 2 serum tests this week.  ALL were negative.  I have all the symptoms as last time, frequent urination, bloating, tired, sore breasts, swollen membranes (nose, vaginal), and feeling of having period like cramping but no period.  I am very concerned because this is not normal for me.  Could I still be pregnant and just not be producing hcg properly?  My doctor mentioned possible hypothyroidism.  I will get that test back on Sept. 1 and am going in for a pelvic ultrasound that day too.  I am somewhat concerned about the consistent cramping or dull ache in lower right abdomen.
Dear Tami:
Pregnancy cannot happen without hCG. You are not pregnant if 2 serum tests have returned negative.
Your physician is now addressing possibilities: low thyroid function; other disruptions of metabolism such as diabetes; elevation of prolactin. The desire to be pregnant can also provoke all of the symptoms of pregnancy: this is common in some mammals and is called "pseudocyesis".
This information is provided for general information purposes and is not a medical consultation. Please address specific questions to your physcian.