Maternal Expert Forum
Re: Child with Basil Ganglia ?

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Re: Child with Basil Ganglia ?

Posted By Debbie on March 05, 1999 at 15:53:55:

In Reply to: Child with Basil Ganglia ? posted by Kristin on February 24, 1999 at 13:56:36:

The basal Ganglia refers to some or all of the gray matter mass within the cerebrum.  It receives input from nearly all parts of the cerebral cortex, particularly from the area that controls motor (muscle) functions.  It is important in the regulation of complex motor functions such as posture, locomotion, balance, etc.  It is also important for the inhibition of motor functions such as decreasing muscle tone and aiding the coordinated efforts of muscle groups.  This is the area of the brain that is dysfunctional in individuals with Parkinson's disease, as an example.  However, this does not imply that the child  has or will get Parkinson's disease, which is caused by a deficit of the neurotransmitter dopamine.
I wrote this based on my readings in various sources for a class assignment which was pared down to answer your question.  If you would like the source of this information, email me directly.