Maternal Expert Forum
Re: K antibodies during pregnancy
About This Forum:

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Re: K antibodies during pregnancy

Posted By a href=mailto:***@**** Macdonald/a on May 24, 1999 at 16:58:15PI have K antibodies in my blood. Can anyone explain the relevance of this? What effects might this have on my baby, either before or after birth? If the father is K-negative, are risks greater or less?PPHR WIDTH=75% SIZE=4 COLOR=#000090
Related Discussions
0 Comments
Blank
Posted By hfhs.md.rcs on May 24, 1999 at 22:44:19PDear Fiona Macdonald:brK antibodies are likely Kell antibodies. They have the ability to attack the red blood cells of babies that carry the Kell antigen.pIf the husband does not carry the antigen, then he cannot pass it to the baby. Since mothers often have acquired the antibodies from transfusion in the past and are Kell negative themselves, this means the baby is at no risk. A heterozygote husband passes the antigen one half the time.pThe levels of antibody in blood are followed during pregnancy and if necessary the amniotic fluid is studied to determine if the antibody is affecting the baby.pKeywords: Kell antibodies, pregnancypThis information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please speak with your healthcare provider.pPPHR WIDTH=75% SIZE=4 COLOR=#000090
Blank
Posted By SUSAN   on May 29, 1999 at 01:45:19

Good Morning,                                            Please tell me why I have K antibodies in my blood and I also would like to know if it is a "BAD" disorder! I want to be able to tell my M.D about it   but not till I know more about it.                               Thank you,                                                 SUE-***@****

Follow Ups:

Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank