Maternal Expert Forum
Re: Post Episiotomy Pain

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Re: Post Episiotomy Pain

Posted By HFHS.MD.RCS on April 22, 1998 at 14:52:57:

In Reply to: Post Episiotomy Pain posted by Ann on April 20, 1998 at 21:43:28:

I have been trying to solve my problem for 11 years, and I was very grateful to find this site.  You are my last hope!
11 years ago, I had a baby, normal delivery, with episiotomy. No complications during the birth.
Since then, intercourse has been very painful.  I'm usually pretty good at pain,having experienced childbirth without pain relievers, extensive dental treatments, etc.  This has been a shadow over my life and my husband's.
I particularly experience pain at the entrance of my vagina.  A sharp pain, it feels like a knife is entering.
I have not changed partner (same husband), I have seen all the GYN doctors in my area, and went to see a neurologist as well as the doctor who delivered my child thought that it might be a nerve that grew back abnormally at the location of the eposiotomy. I also went to see several nurse practitioners, midwives, anybody who might have some knowledge and might be able to help me find a solution. Nobody has been able to give me any kind of glimpse at a solution, or even a cause.  I have had tests in multiple, from the basic yeast test, to more elaborate ones to no avail.
At this point, I do not care whether I ever enjoy intercourse anymore, I need to stop that pain!  
Is there hope?
Thanks again for this site and your support!
Dear Ann:
Painful episiotomy is a known problem. The exact cause of this painful scar (and about 10% of all scars that repair injured body surfaces are painful) is often not clear. One understood problem is the formation of a neuroma (a nerve ending that is hypersensitive). A second possibility (and it sounds from the tests that this has been considered) is irritation of the vaginal entrance independent of the episiotomy scar, a condition named vestibulitis. For all of these situations, medical (steroid hormone injections for example) and surgical (laser revision of scar) as example have helped other patients.
At Henry Ford Hospital, two gynecologists, William Anderson, MD and David Richardson, MD (313-876-2454), have experience with patients like you.
This material is provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered a formal medical evaluation. If you have specific questions, please contact your primary physician.
Keywords: Vulvar pain; episiotomy pain

A related discussion, post menstrual pain on episiotomy site was started.