Maternal Expert Forum
Re: stopping breathing

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Re: stopping breathing

Posted By Amy on May 03, 1999 at 12:22:44
my son, age 3, since he was about 1 and walking has had a problem. almost everytime he hits his head, (harder than normal) such as tripping or falling out of bed, he will start to cry then take a deep breath, and pass out then he won't breath at all. If we shake him like we are trying to wake him, he will usually start breathing after about a minute. Dr.s have told us not to worry that he will be fine as long as he continues to revive himself, but I've heard that this is a siezure of some sort, but the dr.s are saying that it's not possible. We have lowered his bed to one mattress on no frame and gotten rid of the bunkbeds(he slept on the bottom, but anytime he hits his head I'm scared to death. Please Help!!!!

Posted By melissa on May 03, 1999 at 17:54:52
Amy my son turned three in november and he does the same thing but he doesnt actually pass out.  He just acts like he is lacking for air.  This is terrifying for me. This happens if my son coughs or falls and hurts himself real bad.  This terrifies me.  I can't imagine him actually passing out.  I would be right at the emergency room demanding answers.  I don't believe it is noormal for your son to actually pass out.  You need to get a second opinion.

Posted By Olivia on May 03, 1999 at 22:13:13
When I was a toddler (between the ages of 11mos and 3 1/2 years) whenever I'd cry really hard, either after falling or because I was angry, I would cry so hard I would hold my breath until I passed out.  The doctors told my mom not to worry because I would start breathing on my own after I passed out.  My neighbors son does the same thing, and her doctor told her that as long as he started breathing, it was fine.  The kids grow out of it.  I stopped after i fell face first to the floor and bloodied my nose.  My mom flipped out of course, but I was fine, and didn't do that again.  As long as you've consulted a doctor and he's said not to worry, I wouldn't worry too much.  I turned out okay.
Olivia

Posted By Amy on May 03, 1999 at 22:20:56
Thanks for your help everyone!

Follow Ups: