Maternal Expert Forum
Severe and painful nasal dryness

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Severe and painful nasal dryness

: : Hi
  : : I am 19 weeks 3 days pregnant. For the past week I have had severe nasal dryness only at night. It has progressively gotten worse to the point that I can't sleep because it burns so bad when I breath. Now I have started getting headaches because of how bad it burns. I run a cool-mist humidifier in my room 24 hours a day but it has not helped. Last night I resorted to wetting the inside of my nose with water. This relieved the burning only for a very short period of time. My question is would it be harmful in any way if I lined the inside of my nose with vasoline? Any other suggestions?
  : : Thanks, Tina

: Tina,
  : I am only 5 weeks pregnant and have the same thing going on.  My skin feels like an alligators.  My regular doc said to use the saline nasal sprays.  they are very safe, they contain no medication.  (NOT Afrin, but something like Ocean Spray or something with only saline in it.)  Hope this helps, I have been drinking gallons of water, and also running a humidifier.  Hope your nasal passages get some relief!!!!!!!
  : Rae ( Thanks for your advice to my other posting)
Dear Tina:
Apparently you problem is improved with vasolene applied to the nose lining. This is a safe thing to do; any other non-medication, occlusive substance would also be fine. The Ocean Spray recommended by Rae is a good second choice.
The cause of the problem is dryness. Although you are running a humidifier, the vapor is being sucked up by the volume of air, dry woodwork, dry carpet, linens, and draperies. Cold air holds less moisture and in some parts of the world it is almost impossible to moisten the air sufficiently. For these areas, only the local treatments are effective.
Keywords: nasal dryness, pregnancy
This ifnormation is provided for education purposes only and is not a medical consutlation. If you have specific questions, please contactg your physician.