Maternal Expert Forum
Spotting after sex 4 weeks after D&C for miscarriage

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Hello.  I had a D&C for a miscarriage (blighted ovum) 5 weeks ago, and last week had a normal period (at 27 days).  However, I spotted off and on after the D&C until I had my period, especially after we had intercourse.  Now my period is gone, and I'm still spotting lightly after we have sex.  Is this normal, or something to worry about?  I've never heard of anyone having this problem before, and haven't seen anything posted.  I also miscarried in July of this year, and had to have a D&C for that too--that means I've had 2 D&C's in 3 months' time.  Could that be a problem?  We aren't trying again yet--we needed to wait some more time, and I'm using a diaphragm for birth control. Any info you have will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Emilie:
Spotting after a D&C for miscarriage until the next menstrual period is one variation of normal.
Spotting that continues after the first menstrual period following miscarriage is not expected and need further investigation for conditions such as "chronic endometritis".
Spotting after relations most often refects a local problem on the cervix or in the vagina. Irritation on the cervix (erosion), the pattern of healed endocervical lining (ectropion), or even the site where the cervix was grasped with an tenaculum during the D&C are possible explanations.
Keywords: spotting after miscarriage; spotting after intercourse
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.