Maternal Expert Forum
Spotting mid cycle on Clomid

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Spotting mid cycle on Clomid

Hi all.  This is my 2nd cycle on 50mg Clomid.  Last month I had a surge and on day 29 I got cramps followed by very light, almost zero bleeding (fresh blood).  The cramps continued but no proper period.  I did a HPT and that was negative.  So on what I thought was day 5 of my new cycle and before I started the Clomid again I did another HPT just to be sure as some cramping and spotting I believe is normal when you first conceive.  That was negative.   I'm now at day 13 and I'm spotting (old blood) and having mild cramps again.  
  Has anyone had this experience?  Is that normal?  Your help would be appreciated.

_

Dear kylie:
An abnormal menstrual flow following clomiphene can indicate pregnancy (unlikely with 2 negative tests), an false LH surge (ovulation did not really occur), a persistence of the corpus luteum from ovulation.
I suggest you speak with your physician to develop a plan to address where you are in your current cycle.
Keywords: clomiphene
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please speak with your physician.