Maternal Expert Forum
Successful preg.

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Successful preg.

I was wondering what information you have concerning women who have had
  PERIPARTUM CARDIOMYOPATHY.  I have since regained all heart function. And coming
  off the medication.  I think that I am pregnant and was wondering what are
  the chances of PPCM happening again?
  Thank you
  jami
Dear Jami:
Peripartum cardiomyopathy is a term used for two groups of patients. In one group, a cause for the heart failure, such as pre-eclampsia and hypertension or a heart value problem, is present. In the second group, no explanation for the heart failure was found and the presumed cause is damage to the heart muscle.
The outlook is better in the first than in the second situation. Cardiomyopathy carries a significant risk for recurrence in future pregnancies. Pregnancy is not recommended at all in someone who still has cardiac enlargement. Recurrent cardiomyopathy has a high mortality.
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR PHYSICIAN TO CONFIRM WHETHER YOU ARE PREGNANT AND TO DISCUSS THE MEANING OF PREGNANCY IN YOUR CASE.
Keywords: peripartum cardiomyopathy
This information is provided for education purposes only and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.