Maternal Expert Forum
Thyroid and Pregnancy

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Thyroid and Pregnancy

I had radioactive iodine treatment in 1996, got pregnant 3 months later but the pregnancy was tubal.  I have not been pregnant since and wondered if my thyroid levels are too high.  Here are the numbers:  TSH-1.258 and T4, Free, Non-Dialysis - 1.6.  What should levels be at to become pregnant?

_
Dear Gina:
Pregnancy is easiest when thyroid function is normal. There is no specific number: the values that you report would be in the normal range of our assay and thus I would not consider thyroid an explanation for infertility.
Keywords: thyroid, fertility
This information is provided for education purpose and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please speak with your physician.