Maternal Expert Forum
Urethritis

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Urethritis

two weeks ago my seven year old daughter began to have severe pain on her left side so I took her to the emergency room.The ER doctor said that he thought she either had early signs of acute appedicitis or gastronitis.He told me that if the pain became isolated on the right side or if her fever jumped up to bring her back.He gave her no medicine to take but informed that if I had any phenergan to give it to her for cramps.This occurred all on a Saturday afternoon.Sunday morning she woke up with blood in her panties and the she had bleeding three times after she went to the bathroom.My younger daughter had a kidney infection last year and the symptoms were alomst the same.I returned to the ER and the same doctor concluded that she had nothing wrong with her and just to take her home.The next day I was at my pediatrician's office when it opened to find out what he thought was wrong with her.He immediately diagnosed her with urethritis. My question is if she would have gone untreated what could have resulted from the infection.Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again?
  Thank you
  Teri

_
Probably the most common complication that can arise from urethritis is recurrent infections. Your daughter needs to be monitored for this because if reinfections become a chronic problem then your pediatrican or pediatric nurse practitioner needs to futher investigate. Things you can do to help prevent reinfections are encouraging your daughter to void frequently, drink lots of fluids, wipe from front to back after she goes to the bathroom, good hygiene and avoiding irritants such as bubble baths. Be aware that even if you do all these things she could still get another infection. Working in pediatrics the golden rule of thumb is that parents know when something is wrong with their children, so keep being persistent with health care providers when you know your children are ill!