Maternal Expert Forum
Vitamin B6
About This Forum:

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Vitamin B6

I've read recently that Vitamin B6 deficiency can help cause a lowered sex drive in women, and that women who breastfeed and who are are birth control pills (and I'm assuming also Depopravera) are automatically deficient in this vitamin unless they supplement.  How do I find out how much is too much, especially since I don't want to harm the baby while she's still nursing?
Related Discussions

I do not have any references regarding vitamin B6 deficiency affecting sex drive in women who are lactating. There is some evidence that there may be a decrease in libido in lactating women related to several factors.  These may include increased "needs" ofand touching of another member of the family dependent on the closeness of the breastfeeding relationship. There also may be some physical discomfort with sex related to vaginal dryness which is part of the decreased estrogen production during lactation.  This may be alleviated by using a vaginal lubricant. This usually is a temporary reduction for most women. Also as the infant becomes older, many women feel that the satisfaction with the breastfeeding relationship enhances their sexuality.  Vitamin b6 is contained in prenatal vitamins which many women continue to take during their breastfeeding. If you need further vitamin supplementation information you should consult your physician or a nutritionist (registered dietitian).

0 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, what was started.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank