Maternal Expert Forum
Zantac and Pregnancy

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Zantac and Pregnancy

I have been on Zantac 150mg 2x a day for a couple of months now and have just discovered that I am pregnant.  I have a sliding hiatus hernia and GERD.
  My question is, can I continue to take the Zantac and/or Rolaids during my pregnancy? And as well, if I cant take it, what can I do to help the GERD? I assume
  symptoms will get worse as I get bigger? Any advise?
Dear Tammy:
Zantac is a class B drug: studies done in animals have shown NO bad effects on off-spring and there are no trials in pregnant women. This is as positive a recommendation for use in pregnancy was we can have. There are almost no medications where studies have allowed pregnant women to be included.
Thus, you can use this medication in pregnancy.
Antacids, such as Rolaids, can magnify the constipation that often troubles pregnant women. Finding the antacid that works best is trial and error.
There is normally relaxation of gastrointestinal smooth muscle during pregnancy: this contributes to the increase in heartburn, bloating, nausea, and constipation that all women may experience. Thus, you are correct: GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disorder) may also worsen and it happen from the hormones, not just because of baby size and upward pressure in the abdomen.
I am sure you have heard all the wisdom: small meals; find foods that least cause the acid reflux; stay upright following meals; raise the head of the bed.
Keywords: GERD; Zantac
This information is provided for general purposes only and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.