Maternal Expert Forum
belly button pain

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

belly button pain

i am 30 weeks pregnant and today i started to have intense pain in and around my belly button and i am wondering if this is normal and what the cause of this pain is.  It is not a constant pain, it lasts about 5 minutes when i get it.  It feels like either stretching or tearing, but i have felt for fetal parts around my naval when i am having the pain and there are no legs or arms putting pressure on the area
  Thank you.
Dear April:
The umbilicus (belly button) is a place where there is little support to the wall of the abdomen. With stretching, pain in this area is not uncommon. If this is the only symptom, it comes and goes, and is not associated with anything pushing forward as a bulge, this is likely harmless.
Keywords: umbilical pain, pregnancy
This information isprovided for general education only and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.