Maternal Expert Forum
chances of 2nd trimester miscarriage

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

chances of 2nd trimester miscarriage

Posted by Lotty on May 04, 1999 at 13:15:46
I am at the end of week 20 of a healthy pregnancy.  I have not health conditions at all and ultrasound at 17 weeks showed everything looked great.  Amnio came back normal.  I can feel some very subtle movement of the fetus but not much.  I know many women worry about the fetus and I worry alot at times.  My question is, how common is it for the fetus to die at this point in a pregnancy that has seemed normal?  Thanks.

Posted by hfhs.md.db on May 06, 1999 at 12:49:13
Congratulations on doing well so far! The chances of miscarriage are extremely low (certainly much less thn 5%) for a women who is at your point in pregnancy.
I wish you continued good luck with your pregnancy.