Maternal Expert Forum
disease to fit symptoms

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

disease to fit symptoms

My 3 yr old son has been having white gray stool for 2 days.  He is not hungry and has been eating very little.  He is very thirsty all the time.  He has no fever and has not complained of a stomach ache.  He hasn't been acting any different although at times he acts more like a baby than a 3yr old.  Should I call the doctor?  He just had a physical in July and was given a good health result.

Dear Shelley :
Thank you for your question
The symptoms you are referring to can be associated with a variety of illnesses or could just be a phase after which your child returns to normal.Thirst alone is not significant as a symptom, many 3 year olds appear to drink more than they eat. What maybe concerning is the thirst being associated with increased urination , loss of continence especially if your son has already gained bladder control and most specifically if he is losing weight). These could be the symptoms and signs of diabetes mellitus or insipidus.
Another sign that maybe concerning is the white grey stools. Stool color depends on what you eat and the percentage of bile pigment incorporated into the making of the stool color. Since bile pigments are green in color , stool color varies from yellow to green to different shades of brown !!
Diseases that cause bile duct obstruction or a deficiency in bile pigments tend to turn the color of stool to white or grey. This has to be identified by a health professional . I advise you arrange an appointment with his doctor after discussing the color change you noted and take a sample of the grey white stool for your physician to confirm that the color is truly abnormal . Awaiting your feed back on the results .
L.M.
Disclaimer : This information is presented for educational purposes only . It is not intended for final diagnosis or management.

A related discussion, poop color was started.