Maternal Expert Forum
flipped uterus????

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

flipped uterus????

what could make someones uterus to flip over backwards my examination
  yesterday showed mine was this has me very confused i never heard of it before.
  does it stay this way ? could this be why i haven't become pregnant lately?please help if you can.  
Dear Stacey:
25% of women have a "tipped uterus", meaning that it falls backwards rather than forwards. This has not meaning and requires no treatment.
Uterine position is not a method of birth control and not an explanation for infertility. Forty to 50 years ago, operations to correct the position of the uterus (a suspension) was common treatment for bleeding abnormalities, painful periods, infertility, sexual dysfunction: there was no value to the surgery.
Keywords: tipped uterus
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please speak with your physician.