Maternal Expert Forum
irritable bowel syndrome/yeast infections

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Hi, I am 27 years old and have been recently diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and have recurring yeast infections.  I have been seeing the word "Candida" appear as a bacteria in both the intestines and vagina.  I wonder if these 2 conditions can be related and if one causes the other?
  I am also very ready to try and become pregnant.  I am very concerned with my stomach problems and proper nutrition before and during pregnancy.  My IBS causes me to have diarrhea 1-2 times a day.  I have just started taking a multi vitamin but I don't know what else I can do to feel like I am healthy enough to conceive.  Is it safe for me to even try now? Any suggestions or diets to follow?  I am of normal weight and excercise regularly.
  I have posted to the Gastro. forum in the past and just wanted to say what a wonderful job the staff in all of the forums do.  I am sure many others feel the same way as I do.  Thank you in advance for your help.  It is greatly appreciated.
  Gina

_
Dear Gina:
Candida is the genus for yeast and there are several species of candida: albicans is the most common and the one most often associated with vaginal infections. Chronic yeast infection in the bowel is a seed for recurrent vaginal infections: I am unaware of an association between yeast and irritable bowel syndrome.
Irritable bowel is a diagnosis of exclusion: bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, enzyme deficiency such as lactase, and a host of less common issues. Lifestyle and diet are the cornerstones of treatment; vitamins, minerals, and herbs work for some patients, although the mechanism are unclear. Medications to alter bowel motility and to relieve anxiety (stress is associated with bowel irritability) also can be used.
A general rule is that bowel disease fluctuates with the menstrual cycle: it worses with hormone withdrawal as occurs before a menstrual flow and is least active in times of stable hormone levels such as the middle of pregnancy or in the middle of a birth control pill package. When the disease is quiet going into pregnancy, it tends to stay quiet during pregnancy.
The only specific vitamin recommended to women attempting pregnancy is folic acid: 0.4 mg in women with no personal or family history of neural tube (spine) defects.
There is no contraindication to becoming pregnant with irritable bowel disease: diet, relaxation, vitamin, and some medical therapies can be continued throughout pregnancy.
Keywords: irritable bowel
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please speak with your physician.