Maternal Expert Forum
topical acne medication during pregnancy
About This Forum:

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

topical acne medication during pregnancy

I have been using an acne medication called Differin,or Adapalene for about a year and a half. I stopped using it when my pregnancy was confirmed positive.  It is in the retinoid family,and I know those aren't recommended for pregnancy. Can anyone tell me what kind of effect it could have on an unborn baby?

thanks,

michelle
Dear Michelle:
Thge retinoids have a long list of major human fetal abnormalities that have been documented: misformations in the central nervous system (brain) including hydocephalus; eye abnormalities; heart defects; facial deformities; thymus gland (immune system) and parathyroid glands (an endocrine organ) problems.
This information is provided for education purposes and is not a medical consultation. If you have specific questions, please contact your physician.
Keywords: acne, retinoic acid