Maternity ward User Group
perineal massage how to
About This Group:

A place where mom to be can come and relax. Take a break from the day to day stress with friends and vent, even ask those questions we need answers to. Come on in let's share our pregnant stories and announce the birth out our little miricals!

Founded by tattoomommy03 on January 26, 2013
44 members

perineal massage how to

Perineal massage can be done by the mother or her partner. The mother should be in a comfortable place, sitting or reclining in a way that gives access to the skin around the vagina. It can be done for up to 10 minutes a day during the last four weeks of pregnancy.

Wash hands thoroughly. Ensure there are no sharp or long nails that may scratch the mother. Locate the perineum, directly below the vagina. It is the skin between the vagina and the anus. Apply some cold pressed and pure oil (such as olive oil) to this skin. Place the thumbs at the base of the vagina, allowing them the slide inside the vagina (to about the first joint) moving some oil with them. Using gentle but firm pressure, move the thumbs from the base of the vagina up the side walls as if you were making a "U". Return the thumbs to the base of the vagina, and repeat procedure.

As the mother becomes more comfortable with the stretch, you may increase the amount you stretch the skin.

**Instead I would use a water base lube. **
How it works:

Perineal massage does not "lengthen" the tissues of the perineum. However, it does increase the stretch in two ways.

First, perineal massage is done with a cold pressed oil, which lubricates the tissue making it softer, more supple and improving is flexibility. This makes it easier for the tissues to stretch as the baby is born.

Second, perineal massage familiarizes the mother with the stretching sensations she will feel as the baby is born. This helps her learn to keep her perineal area relaxed during the stretching of crowning. Keeping the perineal area relaxed may help prevent tears.
Ty so much!
Hmmm interesting.
Flickan has surgery scheduled for C... Comment
Sep 18
New Mommy 2 Be 2007 Love my kids Comment
Sep 15
BarbieAnn85 found out the day after my ... Comment
Sep 13