MedHelp Social Community
Before Coloring My Hair

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Before Coloring My Hair

I would like to use a hair coloring at-home-kit that washes out in approx. 28 shampoos.  

I understand color is best applied on clean hair (without hairsprays, gel, mouse, etc.)?  

So, when I shampoo the day or two before applying the color.  Should I also skip the 'rinse-out conditioner' as well?

Thank you for your help :  )      
Actually, you CAN color your hair with some junk in it!  It is also better not to wash your hair 2 days before you color it.  That prevents your hair from getting overly fried and too dry.  The natural oils that build up in your hair for 2 days will protect your hair from the color.
Its better to apply hair color to dirty hair...
Thank you for your time in giving me these tips.  I will do. :  )
wow just thinking of touching up my roots have no prob wuth letting 2 days of dirt build up ,,never knew ,,good tip, TY
Just keep in mind that if you have ever colored your hair before and it is still on there, it will not be a temporary color! It be permanant on that part of your hair! Caution!
Ya gotta make sure it's just oily dirty, and NOT dirty from gobs of mousse and gel!  

I think that too much mousse and gel could screw up the color.
I color my hair all the time. Sometimes it is clean, and others, I color it first thing in the morning before washing.

Now, for the red shades, it is best to get the hair wet, this will help to hold the red hue better and it won't fade as quickly, as to the other colors, just follow the box instructions and make sure your hair is not full of hair products, this could cause the color to not be as it should.
Thanks EVERYONE.  I for sure appreciate all the good tips.  

SassyLassie:  Yep, it's gonna be Cinnaberry.  My natural color is medium reddish brown.  Just trying to get a bit more of a reddish kick!
sounds nice!  You have to let us know how it comes out ... !!!  The reddish kick sounds like fun .. ENJOY!

C~
I love hair with red highlights. I used to dye my  hair deep burgundy, it looked really nice too and not fakey at all.