MedHelp Social Community
Christmas or Holidays

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Christmas or Holidays

I have noticed recently here In California of leaving out out the Traditional word of Christmas or Xmas , and even schools are saying Holidays, I dont see it as Politically incorrect for children to have a Xmas concert at school . the stores are all wishing us Happy holidays and in fact everyone is saying that. I appreciate there is Hannukah , I dont say holidays to any jewish friends, it would be Happy Hannukah to them .What are your views and is it the same in your state or is it  only here.
unfortunately the holiday season is running away from Christmas, apparently its not as marketable. Yes it seems to be every where, here in Ga the same thing is happening, Noticed a church billboard the other day tha wished happy holidays to instead i Merry Christmas Suppose the seperation of religon an everything is just about final. Hope the one that let it happen are prepared
Funny that you bring this up. I was just watching the new movie reviews and one of the movies they reviewed was "Four Holidays". It was originally titled "Four Christmas's" but they changed the title so as not to offend anyone....

Personally, I still use the term "Merry Christmas" as do most people I know.
you can thank the far liberal left for this..it offeneds to many people by saying merry christmas
Get this - the bank that I used to work for had us send out "Holiday" cards before Thanksgiving to ensure that we didn't imply that we were Christians - so as not to offend anyone.   They actually didn't have red/green anywhere or anything that looked "holiday-ish" - they were more like Thanksgiving cards.  

I told them it didn't bother me to be seen as a Christian.  

It's amazing...  You still see Santa Clause - but no Christmas.    I understand different religions (Christian, Jewish, Kwanza) celebrating different versions - but the main thing is that we aren't suppose to offend the non-believers...ok, if they don't believe, why would they be offended????

Merry Christmas!
Rach
Merry Christmas guys an early one,I am sad that it is so widespread its our Tradition I dont think I am offending any one by using it, and I always wish any jewish friends a Happy Hannukah and I know there is Qaunza  and I wish my African American friends a Happy Quanza (Hope I spelt it right) Are ther any others that I have forgotten or dont know about ??
Sorry I see on the other post its Kwanza , Apologys !
This is so bull s h it  I have no idea since pretty much anyone with a mouth has said it doesn't offend them to say Merry Christmas or any of the other holidays, why it's such a big deal.  The fact of the matter IS, that December 25th IS Christmas...So why not call it that?  I don't happen to have any religious affiliation and am probably considered agnostic and I celebrate Christmas.  Can't I?  Of course I can....it means what it means to me and no one can take that from me...The argument about separating church from state is so BULL sh i t too, which seems to be the reason for this stupid trend.  Separation ???  Is that why In God We Trust is on money?  Is that why we put our hand on the Bible in court?  Give me a f - in breaK!!!!!!  That has always bothered me, but I still spend money and happily accept it too.  Same thing with court....I may not agree on the justice systems cra p all the time, but I abide by the law and if I had to testify, I'd STILL have to put my hand on the Bible....What about that anyway?  What about the muslims, jews, buddhists...all the other religions, or non-religious people....what the he!! is it supposed to mean that THOSE people still have to do it and say they swear on it?  Come on.....  I have no idea whose idea this all really was to stop saying Merry Christmas but it's stupid, illogical, unfounded and unnecessary....MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!  
I also wish a Merry Christmas to everyone. I choose to continue to wish those I come in contact with "Merry Christmas." But, when all the water has boiled from the pot it really doesn't matter what you call it., as long as the true reason for the season is not forgotten, and it is not to increase sales and make money.
  You know that's a complex one. I am a non believer. I use that term instead of "atheist" because "atheist" sounds antagonistic and snotty and people who use the term are pushing lack of belief systems on people the same they accuse people of pushing belief systems on them. But it did bother me that the town I grew up in had a giant nativity scene saying "Keep Christ in Christmas" and in response the Jewish community put up a giant menorah. It was like a battle of the bands. Then there was some common sense and they just had a general holiday theme such as snowflakes and snowmen and the like. Even if someone is religious its not a grandiose statement. Faith is a very personal matter.
   But this is the important thing. Its not what you say on the holidays. Its what you do. If someone celebrates the holidays in a deeply religious manner I am not offended but just the same I'd prefer if they not ask me to believe in something I don't. But essentially I have deep respect for people who dedicate Christmas towards helping others but that feeling should embody the way people treat each other all year, not just one day. And most essentially people should respect all backgrounds, its not just Christians and Jews, there are people in my neighborhood who are Hindu, Buddhist, Sikh, Moslem, etc. And everyone has their own traditions. The one thing that did bother me was when I went to this soup kitchen on the Bowery and they were giving out food to homeless people and regardless of faith, there were so many people there volunteering it seemed like they were there to get rid of their guilt rather than help people. And the homeless people got a sermon before meals which upset me because they may not have been of that background.
   But until recovery progresses I am homebound from a physical disability but aside from walks I go out when neccessary and also to help people or participate in advocacy. And last year the agency I am part of participated in a "Toys for Tots" drive. I thought it was good to bring some happiness into people's lives. And I would have had no problem with someone saying "Merry Christmas" and I would have said it back. The point is if someone deeply believes in the meaning of the holiday, its not just gifts, its thinking of others. And I certainly couldn't say I was against that, in fact I'm strongly for it. I just wish people would expand that thinking to days other than one specific holiday.
I've always been known as the Christmas Grinch, always complaining about the crowds, the stress, the commercialisation. actually, there is no proof that Christ was born on the 25th, or even in December, but thats beside the point. Like Easter, it was a pagan festival christianised, and thats ok too. Never mind that Santa got his colours from a CocaCola promotion (same red and white)..............I still say Merry Chrismas, sing carols, etc.............and down our way, we celebrate Christmas at the beach, barbecues, etc, all the Northern Hemisphere paraphernalia seems out of place
If I am celebrating the season for the right reason, I will not celebrate on just this 1 day or season. I choose to celebrate year round by giving of self when possible and reaching out to help others.When acts of kindness are done without knowledge to others...that is what I prefer to do when possible.

I would like to thank you for the unselfish job you do in trying to help others. I, personally believe we all experience the things we do for a reason. In all the adversities I have been through, I have gained knowledge and experience and have been able to share and help others through the knowledge I have gained. I am thankful for the good days I have. It's during these days I can think clearer and the pain is berable.  I do so wish you were in a position that you could assist me in my quest for dealing with W/C and soc. sec. disability. Doctors about 5 years ago asked if I wanted to apply and I said would rather work. That I would, but unsure if I can with the increased demands of profession. Thanks for all you do for others. Happiness to you.   Madlyn
jollyman has it right, you can thank the far left for trying to waterdown Christmas. Tolarance works both ways and being that America is still a Christian nation other groups have to respect that.

The term offended is over used and I find it stupid. I am never offended at anything, but I do get upset and mad. When I was growing up just a short 20-25 years ago Christmas was everywhere, now we have to respect everything but Christmas takes a back seat. I am very upset how the far left has made people believe that Christmas is bad because it celebrates one religious holidy. As I said we are still a Christian nation and I want, no I need everyone to stand up and demand Christmas and Christ are not put to the back seat any longer.
I would disagree with what you said about America being a Christian nation. Of course the majority of Americans believe in god but there is no state religion and there never has been since the United States was created as a democracy. Seperation of church and state was in the constitution from the beginning and in reaction to countries we fought to acheive our independence from that forced a particular religion on people. America is a diverse nation and if people want to celebrate Christmas in a traditional religious manner it is part of their religion and I wouldn't deny them that. That said people who don't have the same right. I don't see why there is a clash. The only thing that offends me is that Christmas is misused for stores to have huge sales that start months before Christmas and I think someone who is strongly religious should be offended by that as well. In fact, I've ran into some people some online who are extremely religious Christians who refuse to celebrate Christmas because they believe the holiday and the way its celebrated has nothing to do with Jesus.
  I'd rather just accept the way other people think and hope for the same in return but at times its not always possible.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions on religion.  The part i hate is when someone tries to slam their beliefs down my throat.  That is the only thing i am going to say on this.

As for Christmas........to me it is all about the little ones. There is nothing better than seeing their little faces on Christmas morning seeing presents under the tree and stuff in their stockings.  Life is so simple for them at that point......to believe in Santa and flying reindeer.........It just takes away all the troubles around me for awhile.
I never liked the term, x-mas its taking Christ out of Christmas, Ive used it myself, and try not to, also I have friends who celebrate Kwanza and Hannauka(sp) ( Im still recovering from surgery and on heavy meds so excuse the spelling)
Anyways theres so much hate , in our world,Happy Holidays to all, and btw in our public school my boy plays drums for band a christmas concert they do one chistmas song one kwanza song and one hann. song better to acknoledge all than respect none.

In my town, along with the "holiday tree" and other symbols, there is also a public tribute to the Winter Solstice.

C~
I pledge allegiance to the flag and "The United States of America" and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, UNDER GOD, indivisible and justice for all !!                
MERRY CHRIST MASS !!       .... Burrrrrrrrrpatch
high five to burrpatch
Right. And for the two posters above what does that mean for you? Explain. What is the meaning of Christmas to you? And patriotism is linked as well apparently. But these are important concepts not just slogans. The United States is in a recession and people are poor and in lack of health care. Christmas certainly is a time to think of the less fortunate. I know that regardless of how I identify with belief systems I will actively be helping people in that regard on Christmas, as all the time. And we are at war as a country. People are dying defending our country. Some of the people I work with immigrated to the United States and became citizens to escape oppression. And they valued their oppurtunity to come here. So what will you be doing on Christmas? What is its meaning to you, as a Christian? And what do you do to live up to it?
Luke 21:12,  Luke 21:17,  Matthew 5:11 ,  Matthew 5:10 ,  Matthew 6:34,  Matthew 24:9.   So why the big surprise ?   .....Burrrrrrrrrpatch
Yes that's what you'll be reading from the Bible but as a Christian I'm sure those are meaningful passages that guide how you live your life. And you are a patriotic American as well. I don't detract from that. But we all have one thing in common here. However, we phrase it we are all people with disabilities. And there are soldiers returning from our country who have acquired severe disabilities such as TBI's. And I always am interested in efforts and would volunteer to support them to make sure they get the services they deserve because many are underserved as veterans. I think that's wrong. I don't think you would disagree with that. I don't there's anyone here I couldn't find some common ground with.
  One thing I can say is that Christmas is a time for people to find some form of comradery with each other. And to me not just to think of those less fortunate but to reach out to them. And the less diviseness we have the better. Not just in a "feel good" sense but a "real world" sense. I'm across the political spectrum actually. The important thing is we unite and support each other in a time of need. I think the passages you quote state that as well right?
Well, well, well. Whats got you so frosted ? I say the "Pledge of Allegiance" and you attack ? What was it, God ? I owe you no explanations my friend. If you want to know what Christmas means to Christians then I suggest you read the Bible.  ...and God Bless You !!      .......... as to your 2nd post you obviously didn't bother to look up the passages but assumed I was answering your question. I was not. I'm glad you consider Christmas a time to help your fellow man. So do I if I'm able. However I give all the time, not just on Christmas. I also think Man should help man in all occasions. Americans give more than any other country and our soldiers while not receiving the finest care receive more than the rest of the world gives theirs !! I was in the Marine Corps. Are you lecturing me on volunteering to care for our soldiers ?
Why do you insist on arguing where there is no argument. Hmmmmmmm?
Whatever's bothering you, don't blame me or Christmas.  Godbless !!
Actually I read your profile and saw that you were in the Marine Corps. I'm sure you've done a lot to defend our country and I wouldn't say otherwise. I wasn't saying America as a country has treated its soldiers badly. I was saying that I have worked with people who returned from active service and didn't get what they deserved in the way of healthcare and I supported them in their cause. Of course if you were in active duty in war you did far more than me in putting your life on the line for our country. I was pointing out that I don't see myself as the opposition to people who are patriotic or believe in God. I am not Christian. Truthfully my family was Jewish so if I were to go back to being a believer it would be to that.
  But America was founded on religious freedom. So although I wouldn't detract from your beliefs I wouldn't have to subscribe to them either. I actually do understand what people are saying in that they feel their right to celebrate Christmas in an observant manner is being taken away from them. And that would be considered a violation of religious freedom. That would be a concern. I don't detract though from the teachings of Jesus. They preach love, understanding and compassion for others. They are just not my specific belief system.
  There are some things we will have to agree to disagree on. But we can agree that America is a country founded on freedom. And that religious freedom is part of that. And that on Christmas you will have a freedom of religion our country was founded on. And we as Americans have many freedoms other people in the world don't have. And you have actively defended them. And with what I do as an advocate for people with disabilities I am able to because of many of those same freedoms. And I should be thankful for people like you regardless of any differences we might have otherwise.
hey burrrrrr.. i think he has a burrrrrrrrrrrrrr under his skin god bless and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT  HO HO HO
No I think I got what people are saying. There are three reasons people celebrate Christmas.
1. The religious celebration
2. Just to give gifts
3. As a nice occasion for children
I got that take. The people who are religious see the other side as detracting from their relgious freedom and the people are non religious perhaps see the way its presented as invasive. That's my take. I'd really be more interested if we could all find something in common. I certain wouldn't detract from anyone's Christmas celebrations. Perhaps I'm a bit depressed that I am still homebound from my physical disability which wasn't true last year and won't be able to attend any occassions whether they are called "holiday parties" or "Christmas parties" or the like. But I would never take away anyone's happiness or enjoyment in life. But I try to do the best to live mine within moral standards and give back to others.
   And if anyone has any kind words of support for each other for the holidays (and this does apply, I know some people in my family who celebrate Hanunkah and in a serious religious manner) it would be wonderful. I am recovered mentally and my disability is physical. But I know for many people with depression or other mental issues they are coping with have things worsen during this time of year. If that happens, let's give them a word of support, regardless of belief system and I do think within the spirit of Christmas it would be a kind thing to do especially as people are downsized during a reccesion. Let's all remember our humanity and give some support to those less fortunate including people who may post here. Its the decent thing to do. And I'm not saying people don't. It would just be sad if what is supposed to be a joyous occassion brought out any other feelings in us, myself included.
I have been following this thread today.  I am from the substance abuse forum.  I am a drug addict in recovery.  Everyday i come to this forum and try and help others who are struggling.  Doesnt have to be Christmas or not.........Look at all the forums and journal entries........they are being answered.  Everyone is trying to help the ones who are suffering and yes this is a bad time of the year for many but we are here and we are doing what we can...why? because we all have moral standards too and try to give back what we have been given.   I know you help others who have disabilities and that is great but look around these forums and see the great things the rest of us are doing.     sara
Well exactly my point and more power to you!! And let everyone enjoy their holidays as they see fit.
I'm about as far left as a person can go and still think there is nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas nor would I be offended - in fact, I'd be complimented, if someone wished me Happy Chanukka or the Muslim, Hindu or other religious/cultural equivalent.  IMHO it's a lot better than hostilities.  Who am I to judge the validity of someone else's belief system.

Sarah - amen, you got that right.

Darn...not much chance of blood on the snow with this one, or even a bit of fur flyin'. Ev'ryone seems to have kissed and made up (sigh)............anyways, "Happy Holidays" sounds a bit wishy-washy to me, and it hasn't filtered down under yet. Maybe we should start saying Happy Aging so we don't offend any Jehovah's Witnesses cos they don't celebrate birthdays, or Happy 1st of January so we don't upset the Chinese....GIVE ME A BREAK
What about "Happy First Nations Day" - June 21.  We get upset and they send us to a worse reservation.  Yes, I'm kidding - I'm Native Indian but can't imagine a worse reservation than the one my family grew up in.  The Chinese are upset - that isn't their New Year's  lol  You can still get the fur flying  = )

Thanks guys you sure answered my question , I really enjoyed the reponses and has given me food for thought as always this is the liv liest social forum ever,with some really clever people,  , Happy Christmas to you all .
I put happy holidays on my Christmas cards...and this is the last year doing that...I am going back to Merry Christmas....I am sick of being politically correct...That is what is wrong with our country...this nation was found on freedoms...and one of them is freedom of speech...the pilgrims came to be able to pray the way they want...we took God and religion out of everything and now look at the mess that we are in...so.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANNUKAH TO EVERYONE!
I believe we should be able to say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukah", "Happy Kwanza" or whatever we believe in .  I'm not offended.  I grew up in a very catholic and jewish community.  We all respected each other.  At school, we had a Christmas party and always included Hanukah in our celebrations.  But, the bottom line is that people are so worried about being politically correct and that's taking away our freedoms, and making us less tolerant of each other rather than more tolerant.  I always believe we should respect each other no matter what we believe!  
                     Politically Correct Holiday Greetings
Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all;

Additionally, a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2009, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.  .... Burrpatch.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)
you back on it dude???  lmfao..you are way to much dude
What does "politically correct" mean to people anyway? I just find people who are politically correct annoying, not "threatening". They're just laughable to me. I had some professors like that in college. I just didn't take them seriously. Relax the ex-hippies will grow out of it and/or retire. The only threat they pose is to their ability to be taken with a straight face. On Christmas they are like the grinch but that's a cartoon character like they are. But that's another debate.
  Seriously though as a kid my stepfather was Prostestant so we celebrated Christmas so yes we said Merry Christmas, certainly on the greeting cards and my mother is Jewish so we celebrated Hanukkah so we said "Happy Hanukkah" as well. Sometimes the menorah would be facing the Christmas tree. It seemed a little strange to me as a kid but I think it was well meaning.
I had a good friend who is an extremely conservative Jewish lady.  She celebrates her religion and Hanukah, but she also celebrates Christmas.  She said she loves having a Christmas tree in her home.  She said for her she thinks of it as a giving time and it being about the kids and Santa Claus.  Christmas means different things for everybody and I told her I thought it was great he embraced both holidays!  In fact, for Christmas, she wanted snowmen stuff!  LOL!!!  I would give her a Happy Hanukah card and a Christmas present!  She loved it!!!  
You know if you think about it Christianity has it's roots in the Jewish religion. Jesus, himself was a Jew, after all. I heard a story about a family that had put a Menorah in their window and how someone smashed their window and stole it. They were obviously upset. When their neighbors heard about it they had a meeting and decided that everyone would buy a Menorah and put in their window to support their neighbor. Most of the neighbors were Christians, too, by the way.
The Jewish family were extremely touched that their neighbors would show such support and love for them.
THIS is how we Christians are supposed to act.

And for the person who said they didn't like saying X-Mas, you might find this interesting.
the "X" is the first Greek letter of the word "Christos", Christ. Some say the X symbolizes the cross, too.
Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. It's supposed to be a time of hope and joy.

"That night some shepherds were in the fields outside the village, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord's glory surrounded them. They were terribly frightened, but the angel reassured them. "Don't be afraid!" he said. "I bring you good news of great joy for everyone! The Savior -- yes, the Messiah, the Lord -- has been born tonight in Bethlehem, the city of David! And this is how you will recognize him: You will find a baby lying in a manger, wrapped snugly in strips of cloth!" -- Luke 2:8-12 NLT

Merry Christmas everybody!
April:
I remember the same thing happening in a town in Pennsylvania about the Menorah!  That touched my heart when it happened. Isn't that the way it should be - supporting each other!  That's what we should always be doing!!1  
It might be the same story, I don't know. :) I think I read about it in Guidepost.
It is so sad that there is such controversy over a special time of year. I, personally choose to celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ. To me, Jesus is love. I may not have money to shower those I love with gifts, but I try to give my love and self to those I come in contact. Thinking this was going to be the worst Christmas since I had no job and no money. I have had an awakening. I have chosen angels from my huge collection that are very special to me to give to friends that also collect angels. At first I was going to choose ones that I was not so fond of, then I decided to choose some of my favorite ones. After packaging them and enclosing a note, the feeling of love for the person could not have been expressed more if I had been given an unlimited shopping spree at the most expensive of stores. It's been a little harder explaining to my 8 y/o why he can't have high tech games. (I couldnot operate). I told him would he like to have things that we could all play the games in the yard as a family. Believe it or not, this was exciting to him. He told me..maybe he could go for a walk with "Daddy" at the park for Christmas. As we embrace this time of year and as our family looks to the less commercial aspect of Christmas, I ask of you that pray, remember the struggles that families are enduring and be supportive and offer unconditional love. I used to not care what I said or if it hurt someone. So many people are hurting, either r/t finances, grief,depression etc. let's all try and be considerate to their feelings and put ourselves where they are now. Many of us have been there , let's not forget how we felt. I wish the merriest of Christmas of you and the happiest of the Holidays. Most of all I give to you love and ask that you pass it on. Thanks for allowing me to be a part here. Hopefully I did not speak my felings in a way to upset others. I prayed and this is what I wrote. I love you all.   Madlyn
Wow Madlyn! Thanks so much for the reminder of what the true meaning of Christmas is all about. It's about giving of ourselves. Isn't it amazing how when we give like this we always receive a blessing back?
We are going to have a tighter Christmas budget this year too. I was trying to think of a way to involve my kids in giving back. As bad as I might think we have it financially, I know there are others who are worse off.
Thanks so much for sharing. It really touched me.
God bless,
April
I was listening to a Christian TV station with my husband a few days ago. A lady was talking about how they were sending a oll or a truck to children in other country. She said to those children it wasn't the food or the clothing that was provided to these children that made the difference to them. She spoke of the smiles when they were given a simple doll or truck. I must have dreamed I had seen Barbie dolls advertised for $2, imagine my shock when I searched and found they were $14. I have never purchased dolls before..I have 4 boys. Having to rely on family for son's presents, I decided "no". What I was going to ask them was to give $20 and we would purchase 10 dolls. My 8 y/o wa so excited. Even with him sick, tonight he asked if we were going to buy the dolls for the "little girls"? You understand so well. As bas as things may be financially for us, at least for today we still have our home and food in our tummies. Today is taken care of. We are not guaranteed tomorrow.  Blessings.  Madlyn
december 25th...christmas day... celebrates Christ's birth...plain and simple...no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  it IS a religious holiday.  for the ppl who do not believe in our Lord, Jesus Christ...the answer is simple...dont celebrate this day.  if you are offended by "christmas"...Christ's birth...dont partake! !  dont buy a gift...dont take the day off from work...dont put up a tree.  we (christians) are NOT celebrating the HOLIDAYS...we are celebrating, remembering, and honoring Christ's birth...again, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Thank you so much for saying in a few words what I was trying to say and still probably didn't.I do believe in Jesus.We do give gifts to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. It's that this year, we are giving in a different way. I choose to celebrate Christ's birth not on Dec. 25th but each day and whenever I have the opportunity. Again I thank you in helping to express my feelings.  Madlyn
Since I am a Christian, I choose to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!