MedHelp Social Community
Do you believe in Ghosts or Supernatural beings?

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Does anyone here believe in ghosts or spirits? Ever had an encounter or think you have? I'd love to hear some ghost stories!
56%
 (26) 
Yes I believe and have had encounters!
19%
 (9) 
Yes I believe but never experienced an encounter
17%
 (8) 
No. I do not believe at all
6%
 (3) 
I didn't believe until I had an encounter!
46 Members voted
I have encounter everyday..with the Holy Spirit
I believe in angels! And I've had people very close to me who have indeed had encounters with angels! And they're very sane people, not prone to wild imaginations. My grandmother had an angel encounter in the hospital, and my mom had one in an ambulance on the way to a hospital. I've had friends who have heard or seen angels.
And...best of all! My daughter heard from her guardian angel right before a car accident she and my son were in. She had forgotten to put on her seatbelt and they were on their way to school when she suddenly heard a very distinct male voice (in her head) say "Buckle up now!" and she did. Seconds later they were in a bad car accident where a lady T-boned my son's car, totaling it. There was glass shattered all over them and they had to crawl out the window because the door was bashed in but they had not a cut on them!!! The windshield was completely shattered. If my daughter had not buckled up she would have been thrown through the windshield and probably killed or at least terribly injured. Tell me we don't have angels watching over us after hearing that one! I sure believe!!
i've been having super natural experiences since i was 7 so i have too many stories to tell on here. i'd take up 2 pages lol.
Nice Jollyman and April2! I like those answers!
When I bought my house the old lady told me she was selling the house because her husband had built the house and had poured many hours and sweat into the house to make it a beautiful house for her and him to live the rest of their lives in. He died of Cancer and she felt that house had to many of his memories there to keep her there. Not a bad thing just that she needed to move closer to her children. Well it wasn't long after we moved in that my son would come to us every night and tell us he saw a man in his room and was to scared to return. Every t.v. we have put in there will turn on on its own. I would have to unplug them from the wall to keep them off. The lights in the kitchen will turn off periodically. The one time I saw him was when I was sitting on my couch and saw someone walk in front of the windows. I looked outside and nobody was there. My son looked at me and said mommy there's the man again. I knew then my son had been seeing him all along.
Whoa! I don't know if I would handle that too well! Especially with my kids seeing it too. I have never experienced anything like that, but if I did, I'd probably be frozen solid in fear! LOL!
One of the times the lights went out in the kitchen my 16 year old neice and her best friend was there and we were sitting at the table talking and the light went out. It didn't just go out the light switch flipped off. The weird thing is the light switches are those heavy ones that make a clicking sound when you turn them off or on and it went off made the sound and all. Once her friend realized what happened she went outside and wouldn't come back in.

It used to freak me out but anymore I just ignore all the little things that happen.
LOL!

A while back our channels would just change on our t.v. and it used to really freak me out! It would happen several times a day and every time it did, I would freeze. I was talking to my brother in law one day and told him about it and he said that what was probably happening was signals from our satellite dish were getting crossed with a neighbor's and it was them that was changing the channel. I called Dish Network and sure enough, after the phone call with tech support, it never happened again. I felt so stupid!! LOL!!!

If the things that happened in your house were happening in mine, there's no telling what I'd do! Probably move ASAP! I'm not afraid of death or getting hurt or anything like that, but supernatural stuff SCARES the living daylights outta me.
I don't know if I could live in a house like that. I don't think I could just ignore it either! I probably would have a man of God come and bless the house and tell the spirits to leave in the name of Jesus. His name has power over evil spirits, which is really demons, actually. Not to freak anybody out or anything, lol. I try not to think of the dark side of things. I concentrate on the good, like angels and stuff.
I'd love to put up my beliefs but every time I do I seem to be deleted in the posts.....go figure!
i believe in angels and i believe in ppl visiting from beyond. i don't like to call them ghosts... to me that name gives a bad impression. ghosts are scary and spoooky, except Casper :). I don't know if I ever had experience with this. I mean I never saw anyone appear before me but I have felt their presence. Are they here? maybe...or maybe I just wanted them to be. Whatever the case, it was always a good, warm feeling for me.
I believe the ones that are here are here because they don't realize they have died. They need to be told to follow the light.

I have had people that claim to "chase ghosts" want to come and "inspect" my house. I haven't let them yet because I don't know if I believe in all that.
When i was younger I used to here people walking in our attic. i could hear fainted whispering and footsteps going across the floor, sometimes walking sometimes it sounded like they were running and stomping around up there. And of course everyone in the house was sleeping so it wasn't any of my family. it always freaked me out and would wake me up.

Then at my stepdad's house I saw an old man in the upstairs garage window looking out at me. I could see his features perfectly but it was only for about 5 seconds that he was there and then all of a sudden he went poof lol I looked through some of my stepdad's pictures of family and it was his grandpa i saw. His grandpa had died before my stepdad was even born so it was weird because my stepdad has never seen him around anywhere.
Oh and in the same house where i heard the footsteps i would hear meows coming from my closet, just like if a cat had been trapped in there. We didn't ever have cats because my sis was allergic to them so it was freaky. That only happened a few times but the footsteps was every freaking night lol
Wow, that's so weird. Shortly after I came back to God as an adult, I started having a few strange things happen, one of them being hearing a cat and we didn't have a cat at the time! My husband and I were in bed and we both heard the cat so I knew it wasn't just me. When I talked to a friend about it she told me I was under "attack" and that meowing cats can be a sign of evil spirits or demons?! I had never heard of such a thing. However, I was freaked out enough that I had a friend come over and bless my house with olive oil and reading scriptures and praying and I didn't have any problems after that, truly! Do I understand any of this? No. I don't even like to talk about evil spirits, demons, etc. I'd much rather concentrate on God and everything good, but I guess there really is something out there. I'd just rather not have to deal with it again!
I had a friend who was pretty freaked out because she kept seeing a figure of a man who looked like her grandfather standing in the doorway or in her son's bedroom watching him sleep. Because she was so freaked out about it and didn't feel comfort by it at all, I suggested to her that she pray about it and ask God if this was from Him and that if it was to let her have peace, but if it wasn't to make it go away. She tried that and said she never saw this apparition again. Like I said, I can't pretend to understand any of this. I just try to keep my eyes on God and all things good!
I believe that a person can leave behind parts of themselves after they pass- that some type of energy can remain. I haven't really experienced anything for myself, but I know family members who have.

When my brother died my entire family woke up at the same time that night. A few months later my mother was at the grocery store and all the sudden felt David almost move through her. She could smell him and feel his presence.

This one is pretty amazing: My grandfather was dying. Every night my father would put away his tools and lock up the tool shed. In the mornings before my grandfathers death my father would unlock the shed and find some of his tools placed oddly on the floor. Each day he would replace the tools only to find that the next day they were in the exact same places on the floor. This was making my Dad crazy. He had my mother and friends watch him lock up the shed at night only to find the tools misplaced each morning. The day my grandfather died the occurences stopped. My father had taken pictures of the tools. After studying them we discovered that they looked like the word "ok" was made within a circle. To this day my parents believe that my brother was trying to tell them that my grandfather was going to be ok- that he (David) was going to take care of him.
The whole idea of seriously freaks me out!! So i try not to think about it but i do think its a possibility!!
I know when my great grandma was getting close to passing she would be in her room just talking away and she would be saying Mama can I come home and Ted (my great grand father who passed many many years b4 her) did you come to get me is it time yet? and she would tell my grandma Ted came to see me he said its not time to come home yet!!
It was a lil freaky but i do believe she saw them and that they were sending her messages!!
And my MIL when she had my DH they both went through a very traumatic ordeal and he was born basically dead the drs had to revive him and my MIL passed out i guess after having him and she said the she saw the light and the tunnel and that there was some1 there telling her to go bk that it was not time yet and that her son needed her!!
I accept that the world is made up of the Seen and Unseen as a matter of course, and that there is a Life beyond death.  What form it takes will depend upon one's beliefs; I believe that one joins with one's Ancestors and that they can come to visit, as they still watch over you.

My great grandma Burke has been to see what I'm doing, especially during the first night of Yuletide, which in my faith is dedicated to remembering our mothers.

I believe that I have seen others of my family line; sometimes they just watch me, sometimes they give me a spiritual "poke in the ribs," sometimes they just give me a feeling that those who have passed on are doing okay.
I have also had some strange things happen in the house I live in as a child,I was home alone one night with my boy friend and we were on the sofa watching a movie
and all of a sudden we herd a crash in the basement and we went down to check it out and there was a mirror smashed on the floor, the strange part was it was on a top shelf under some boxes and the boxes were still there they had never been moved and we were the only ones home at the time. another time I was walking from my room the kitchen in the dark to get a drink and i stopped in the door way and for some reason I couldn't move it was like there was someone standing in my way and it was the strangest feeling. It scared the Poop out of me, I have more to tell but it would take me for ever there are to many to tell.
My husband believes in ghosts and stuff, and LOVES the ghost hunter shows. I'll watch them with him every once in a while and I always laugh when they're like "Did you hear that????"  and they all run!

When I visited my dying uncle in he hospital said he saw his grandaughter, who had died at 18, 3 years earlier. He was medicated and would sleep a lot. One time he awoke saying the angels were getting their wings ready.  He passed away 2 days later.  
I believe in angels and demons
Does anyone believe in the ability to feel other people's pain as if it was there own? Just wondering..... God Bless,Jen
I've heard of that! Especially parents over their children, etc. I think because they're so close. I've especially heard of sensing danger before it's happened. I think it's God's way of warning us.
My great grandmother used to seem to know if something was wrong with a family member before she'd call. My mom has had dreams. I see a little bit of that in my teenage daughter. She seems very in tuned and seems to know what you're thinking or feeling pretty accurately. I think it's a gift.
My dad swears when my mom was in labor with me he was able to feel all of her labor pains.  For years I would have my DH's hangovers. He would even laugh about it because he would get drunk and I would wake up puking and have a migrane (migraine) the next day. We never figured it out. He on the other hand would be just fine.

April2--- read my post in Asperger Syndrome forum about my son and see if any of it matches what your daughter goes through.
Hi lonelymom, that's not exactly what's happened with my daughter but she has heard a male voice before that she thinks is her guardian angel and has felt a "presence". She's had encounters with "demons" before when she went through a dark time a few years back and had turned away from God for awhile. She also feels she's heard God speak to her, especially last Summer when she came back to God at a youth retreat. I was stunned when she said God told her to break up with her boyfriend (Thank God!) and other things. She came back a different child and it's an absolute miracle the change I've seen in her. She's completely turned her life around. For awhile there she had been walking down a pretty scary path but I strongly feel like God yanked her back from a pretty precarious cliff.
She's also had dreams and sometimes just really seems to know what I'm thinking! She says it seems to be that way with someone she feels close to. I mean, some of it is trivial, silly things, like one day we had been out running errands and I just thought "Chinese sounds good about now!" and she turns to me and says "Can we get some Chinese food?" and this was when we weren't even near a Chinese restaurant or anything. Lol, she does stuff like that all the time and sometimes it freaks me out a little bit!
Speaking of angels, ghosts, etc, I thought this cloud was really cool. I didn't think about the shape until after I looked at the pictures. Kind of looks like an angel wing, I think. I did not alter the image other than to sharpen it, add my name and resize the image.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/94899
I believe your daughter is a highly sensitive individual or Empath.Its passed on from generation to generation.Its when you can look in someone's eyes or they look at you and you know exactly what there thinking.She can do this strangers to,if she has this.It can also be extremely draining as you pick up other's emotion's and soak them up like a sponge.I handled it better when I was younger.It made things much easier when my Mom was going through her cancer treatment,as she didn't even have to talk,I knew what she wanted.I also noticed this connection between her and her sister.She helped me care for my Mom near the end.My Mom's happy in heaven but I'm such a mess without her.So take good care of yourself and let as little stress in your life as possible.When either one of you feel's stressed bath's help as does taking a walk in nature.Animals and children also should provide great comfort.Google the subject if you like,the best book ever is Dancers Between Realms Empath Energy-Beyond Empathy by Elisabeth Y. Fitzhugh.God Bless,Jen
I was just remembering when my Mom had her surgery to attempt to remove all cancer.She was in recovery,I wasn't allowed to see here.I had a bad feeling,I snuck back to see her, she wasn't being monitered.When I seen her,her blood pressure and heart rate was sky high.I started freaking out telling any nurse that would listen.It seemed like forever,but was probably a minute or so.Doctors frantically ran in her room and started working on her.One nurse said I saved her life! I'm so happy that God gave me the intuition to feel her pain,it gave me a little over a year with her,I always lived to meet her needs.It makes it so hard to handle to literally live for someone and then to watch them slip through your fingers.My life is empty.I try so hard for my son,he needs me.I find myself slipping away.Why can't I live without my Mother?I have a beautiful son.I need God to help me find my way out of this despair.Maybe I don't deserve it for whatever reason,but my son deserves a Mom that's happy,healthy,and not depressed.I know I went a bit off topic.Sorry,but I got some pain out of my heart and I think that's a good thing.But trust me there is plenty more where that came from.Time,I needed more with my Mom,and my son needed more with his Nana.God Bless,Jen
beachwalker, I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother. I don't know what else to say except that the pain will ease after awhile. I do understand. I lost my grandmother six years ago this month. I still can't believe it's been that long. She was like a mother to me, in that I felt closer to her than my own mother. I could talk to her like no one else. She listened to me and encouraged me, unlike anyone else. She made me feel special. She just had that way about her. I miss her so much. So many times I'd like to talk to her about something, especially as I get older. We used to talk well into the night about so many issues, especially God. She had so many questions about God and heaven. I pray she got all her questions answered now! I still miss her though, so much.
Maybe you can do something in her name that would be honoring to her and help you as well? Like for instance, my mom had a tree planted in my grandmother's name. I think it gave her some comfort to do that.
I pray God will comfort you and give you peace. *Hugs and blessings to you*
April
As a child I grew listening to my grandmother tell me of stories of spirits and angels. She also told me that if a child is born with a "veil" over its face then they will be able to see the "second life". Be it angels, spirits, etc...I believe.  My grandmother had many MANY encounters. Some scary some touching ...but all real.

One that I will always remember her telling is the one of her miscarried child. she had a miscarriage at 7 months pregnant [she told me]. She said one day after the miscarriage of her little boy she was lying in her room and she happened to look up at the foot of her bed because she felt the presence of another in the room with her. At the foot her bed was a little baby playing and watching her. She was scared because she knew this was God letting her know that her baby was okay. Her baby was 'too beautiful for life' [that what a quote says that i read once about miscarried and still born children]. It was a very sad but touching story and It always  stuck with me.

So yes i believe in the "others'
What does that mean? A "veil" over it's face?
The Veil is referred to as the caul. If you google it is will give lots of details.
Oh ok, I just looked it up. It's just the amniotic sac covering the face. I'm not sure there's any significance in that but I do understand there's always legends and different beliefs.
I can't believe it until I see a ghost or supernatural being. I have to see it to believe it. I'm only 14 and never experienced anything besides me getting creeped out over stupid stuff. Haha. I swear I get freaked out by my own shadow!
I too am like jollyman and believe in the holy spirit.  I also do believe their are angels from heaven that as some have described are seen on their death beds or if they are experiencing being close to death; whether in an accident or other type of accident.  

I do not believe that people can talk to angels or see dead people and talk to them.  I also do not believe that they get info from dead people(angels) to give to their loved ones.  I do not believe in my opinion that it is possible or right.  Now, I do not want to offend anyone so please do not get upset with me for saying that.  That is just my beliefs.  
some of women in my family "see or feel things". including myself. none of the men do....just the women. my great grandmother could, my grandmother, 1 aunt, my mother, my cousin ashley and myself. my mom and i both started having our experiences when we were young. between 7 and 8. i saw my first ghost or spirit when i was 7. my mom saw hers when she was 8. and we were actually told that we're "sensitives". (we just recently started looking more into it as the activity around us has been going nuts the past few weeks) it's pretty crazy. sometimes scary but most of the time...not so bad.
I don't believe in ghosts.  I once took a ghost tour and paid $20 and did not see one darnn ghost.  I wanted my $$ back.  I've been to all sorts of places that were supposed to haunted, and I never saw a thing.  I think some people are just gullible when it comes to that kind of stuff.  When you die, that's it.  You're soul probably goes to heaven or hell depending on how you have lived your life, but I don't believe ppl come back to earth.  For what?  If you get to be with Jesus, why would you want to come back.  

Our loved one's come back to check on us!If were displaying self-destructive behavior they don't leave us until our health improves.My son at 5 seen his Nana over the cove.We spread some of here ashes at that place,he didn't know that! I also seen my Mom's aura on a moniter at a friend's work,she was right behind me.Since my Mom passed lights flicker,they used to burn out,but I think she's got the hang of it.I always believed,but I don't have a single doubt in my heart & soul now! God Bless,Jen P.S. Get this.My fiance was being a bit mean to my son and I one night,he works early in the morning.He had his window down,a huge rock almost hit him in the head and landed on the seat next to him.He told me if it would have hit him it probably would have killed him,Karma!!!! I told him he better start being nicer and that was a warning,from who not sure,if my Mom did it,she wouldn't have missed!!!
Beachwalker33 - that's funny about the rock hitting your fiance.  I think it was some kids though.  

I would like to see one once, then maybe I'll believe.  But until that happens, can't say I believe.  
Well I have been unlucky I have never seen a ghost, i do however believe in Telepathy and ESP (extra sensory perception) I would love to see a ghost, am not certain if I would dive for cover or follow it, wherever it went .I do also think we feel the presence of folks who have passed on, however I think it is in our selves,  I look like My Mom, and have you ever noticed how our handwriting can be like a close family member.,so I feel her around especially when I visit UK, she used to sing a lot and after she left I could not listen to classical music,it hurt too much ...it took years then one day I could sing out the way she had done.,in my voice I hear her..
There is the spirit world, between awake and sleep called twilight.  There is the Good and then the Evil spirits.  I believe in God and his Son, our redeemer, and I have always felt safe when I stay close to him, nothing bothers me when my relationship with them is strong.  When I got away from it for a while, I had a bad experience by the evil spirit which is called the prince of the power of the air.  I was home alone cleaning house, but living with a man unmarried (called living in sin). I was squeezed, pushed down, sat upon for almost 20 minutes.  It scared me for all of my life.  But after I read the word  of God enouph, and learned all about how to handle it, what to speak, and all about things God wanted me to know, I have been at peace.  They are among us, and they have powers, but they are not allowed to harm us, especially if we are in the word.  
well I believe that since people have reported similar encounters since the beginning of written history including in the bible, there is some truth and some things we neither know nor understand, I dont believe we are suposed to understand everything. I also believe good trumps evil every single time. I have been afraid I pray for strength and it happens.
I can't really say "I'll believe in ghosts when I see them" because I believe in God and I don't have to see God to know he's there. I have never experienced anything with ghosts or any other supernatural being, and while I would like to think it exists, I don't believe in it.