MedHelp Social Community
Ethics Question

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Ethics Question

I'm taking an Ethics class in College right now and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on this question that I have received for a Homework assignment. The question that follows is typed exactly as it is on the paper I have received from my instructor.

Question:

It is now possible to put chips in animals that can help you find the pet if it is lost. What is you opinion on putting chips in people and/or prisoners? List some pros and cons.
22%
 (2) 
It's a Good idea (Please leave a comment below)
22%
 (2) 
It's a Bad Idea (Please leave a comment below)
0%
 (0) 
Neither, it shouldn't be allowed at all (Please leave a comment below)
55%
 (5) 
Other (Please leave a comment below)
9 Members voted
I have voted for other because, I believe that putting chips in people and/or prisoners is wrong and shouldn’t be allowed to a point. I mean that if the person didn’t do anything wrong like they never broke the law or anything they shouldn’t have a chip put in them as that would completely violate their freedoms by the government knowing where they are 24/7.

Now if the person did commit a serious crime such as being a murderer, Drug dealer, Rapist, Kidnapper or something else on these lines, they should have a chip placed in them to help protect everyone else especially those that don’t know this about them. If they only committed a lower offense crime such as a DUI or they stole something minor, they shouldn’t have one placed in them as those most often don’t pose as much of a threat to others as the high-end criminals would.

Some pros with this would be increased security/protection for everyone around them as the government would know exactly where they are, and it would also help with locating a fugitive or some criminal that broke out of jail. Now the Cons would be that it would completely violate their freedoms and their constitutional rights covered in the Bill of Rights.
This does bring in fears a la George Orwell but I can see some benefits.  I do believe criminals who have been convicted of violent crimes should be chipped.  They ruined or eliminated a life and this is not a big price to pay.  I could see a benefit in putting a chip into children so that you can track them in case of disappearances, etc. and when they reached the age of majority they could choose to have it eliminated.
Well, if you are a christian, it is suspected that this will be done one day in order for you to be able to purchase grocerys, etc. Mark of the beast. It is believed that if you allow this mark, you will be doomed to hell for eternity. This is suspected to be the one world currency you hear about. Cashless society, no credit cards, a number with all your info on it, under the skin on some part of your body. It is believed to be on the back of the hand or the forehead.
It's good for convicted criminals or those with medical needs for identification if the person or legal guardians feel it's necessary (along with their doctor). It also should be an option for those with Life Threatening allergies vs. the need to wear a Medic Alert tag in case of accident or exposure to the allergin and they forget to wear the Medic tag.

C~
Chips for child predators and murders. They gave up their rights when they murdered another human being or injured a child.

No chips for me please, medical or otherwise!!! Let me die. And it's no ones business where I am as long as I have not or am not hurting someone.
there would be some value to medical chips in medicine ie- pts with Alztimers that wander etc...
I think it should be an option, not a forced issue, especially with children. The parents would choose.
I think the option should be open to Military personnel that go to war, so if they are taken captive, they could be located quickly. But it would need to be a chip that cannot be located by the enemy. It would need to be a choice thing though, not mandatory.
I do think putting a chip in child predators that are let back out in society would be a great idea..
i think that the level of technology we now have is obscene even as i sit here at my computer. had our race kept our eyes on the earth beneath our feet, who sustained us well, and cared for her instead of looking upward for heaven and technology this question would have never been asked.
I put bad idea because this is the mark of the beast! I don't believe it should be in our animals or people for any reason.