Favorite Charities?
What are some of your favorite charities? Which ones would you say are the most trustworthy and gives most of their money collected to the actual need?
Just wondering. The only ones I know about that I feel I can trust is Salvation Army and Compassion International. I have a friend who works for Compassion and it seems a good one for sponsoring a child in need.

I'd like to know which ones you all like and why, please.

Every year I donate to the Salvation Army and either sponsor a family for Christmas, or just drop off unwrapped toys and/or other items. Although money is tighter this year... I feel like this is the best time to donate because the need is greater.

I also donate to The CFIDS Association of America (I hope that you will read about what some of these donations are accomplishing... I just posted "hope for 4 million CFS sufferers a few minutes ago in my journal) and I've donated to Dr. Garth Nicolson's non-profit agency, which is dedicated to discovering new diagnostic therapeutic solutions for chronic diseases. (The Institute of Molecular Medicine). Dr. Nicolson's research has already helped so many people and I would rather see my money go to him... than the pharmaceutical companies. It is my opinion that the pharmaceutical companies have no interest in curing people with chronic health conditions because they are making billions of dollars from these people from palliative care (medications that reduce symptoms only).

I believe there are many deserving charities.  I wish I could give more than I do.  I have donated to the MS Association, breast cancer, muscular dystrophy and to the local humane society (I love animals).  I also give to the Children's Miracle Network.  There are so many and I wish I could do more.  

I also give blood to the Red Cross.  

I watched the new television series "Secret Millionaire" last night!  It was amazing to see the millionaires working along side every day people and then sharing some of their wealth to worthy individuals who were helping their communities.  It was touching and brought tears to my eyes!

I give to the Hospice in my hometown.  They treated my dad and us with such dignity and respect during my dads illness.  We are indebted to them for what they did.    sara
I'm so glad for hospice and what they do for families.  I agree they are very deserving and I'm so happy they treated your dad with so much respect.

Our family used to always give to Deborah Heart and Lung Hospital in New Jersey.  When my grandfather had to have triple bypass surgery, they told him "pay what you can" since he didn't have insurance.  It was a godsend!  
I have too many and this year so many need so much. I give montly to St. Jude's Children's Hospital, The Humane Society, ASPCA and Catholic Charities. At Christmas and Thanksgiving, we sponsor a family (this year two) as well as Salvation Army and the local shelters. I try to collect food at work and from neighbors in passing, too. Every little bit counts this year. Oh, I almost forgot Toys for Tots. I still need to pick up a few small toys.
I give to St. Jude's Children's Hospital...I also give to the Northshore Animal league...these on a monthly basis.

Other charities I give when I can.
Its easy to get overwhelmed by the range of charities available. My famiy visited Cambodia earlier this year, with the intention of 'doing some good' while there. The shattered country is being rebuilt largely due to foreign aid, which helps way more than the bombs and landmines of the past. There are some doubtful schemes whereby people pay thousands of dollars for the privilege of donating their time to work for these charities. A quick google will find some. Anything too government-related is dodgy because the corruption is rife, but I came across a few very good ones whilst working there. Anyone interested can message me and I'll give contacts.
my no. 1 would be the SIDS foundation...lost a child to sids..then the kidney desease program, i need a transplant....then there so many good ones hrd to choose
This summer I gave birth to my son Cooper. He was born with a heart condition called HLHS, so right after he was born he was sent to Children's Hospital in New Orleans. Well Cooper, put up a great fight but sadly he returned to Heaven on July 23rd. He was 6 1/2 weeks old.  

So, we decided to do a toy drive for Children's Hospital, it is called "Cooper's Christmas From Heaven".  We have collected hundreds of new toys and we are delivering them this Saturday (Dec 6th). This Saturday, would have been Cooper's 6month b-day and it is also St. Nick's feast day. So, we could not think of a more special way to spend that day spreading a little Christmas cheer.

So, from now on this is my new favorite charity. God bless Baby Angel Cooper!
having four sons...there was always an overabundance of toys around my house.  two weeks before christmas...the boys had to go through their toys and each one had to pull out 5 toys to donate to needy kids.  i would then take them with me and we would take the toys to salvation army or goodwill. (tried to rotate each year)

i am on the board of our local humane society here in bay county...so that is where all my time, effort, and money goes to now.
You all have some wonderful ideas. I'm impressed with the generosity I see on here!

rdh, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think what you're doing to honor Cooper is beautiful. God bless your little angel and may He give an extra heaping of blessing to you and your husband.

Thank you all for your suggestions! God bless you all!
Every year the government puts out a booklet listing many charities and their percentage of operating costs per dollar donated. We get it as we select 3 charities to donate a portion of my dh's paycheck to every 2 weeks. It comes out like an allotment.  I am wondering if something like that can be accessed online? There are some surprising numbers in there, some well-known and respected charities have operating costs that consume over half of every dollar donated!

I give locally during the holidays, Trees of Sharing, food drives, the school and sports fundraisers, I participate in the  Relay for Life,  etc. I give throughout the year to the local mental health organizations in 2 counties, St. Jude's gets a fair chunk, and whenever I see a can or jar we put money in it. Susan G Komen gets a bundle as I always select to purchase the products that contribute a portion to that organization.

I cannot remember ever seeing either of my real parents parting with a dime, but my adopted mom helped instill in me the power of giving. In turn, I am showing my boys the same.
CancerCare .. they reach out to the community and never ask for anything in return.
Veterans Assoc of America and also Salvation Army , Sally Ann, to any Brits with MH , wouldnt mind doing the childs one mentioned above I should google it for information.
I give to Humane Society....Gifts for children in the Childrens Specialized Hospital....
American Cancer Society and LiveSTRONG.  They do great work.  I do some advocacy for them also.  
Michigan Paralised Vets

Michigan Childrens Cancer Foundation

Perkins Center For Blind Children      my hubbys oldest brother was born blind

forgot to put why for my first two

my heart goes out to the vets, especially those who are permenatley disabled

I give to childrens cancer just because my  consciuous felt pulled to it    

this  was a really good question april
Humane society...I try to give at the local Pet Smart because every time I went to the shelter I would bring one home.

Giving is a part of our family. We will give to anyone who is in need.

Tradition of pulling an angel from the tree at the mall every year.  Every family member takes an angel.  Its a tremendous feeling. My heart aches knowing there is people out there who cant afford christmas.

Life is all about love and sharing.
Make a Wish Foundation is one charity I have always supported. It's for children with in-curable disease's and the foundation raise funds to give the child their wish. 100% of the proceeds go directly to the fund. They do amazing work.
That's a good one! I forgot about that one! I have a friend who's child has a incurable disease and they sent them to Disneyland and gave him a fireman's full uniform because he always said when he grew up he wanted to be a fireman. They're good people.

I also forgot about Ronald McDonald's House. I never noticed them much or the box at McDonald's until my own nephew had a brain anyurism and was in the hospital for some time. My brother (single parent) had to use the Ronald McDonald's House near the hospital. They're a good organization too.
I have to agree with you on Ronald McDonald's House. They do an incredible amount of fantastic work.

The StarLight Foundation are also another wonderful organisation.

This is a nice story. A few weeks back, an elderly lady, (a pensioner) purchased a slick pick lotto ticket and she won $13 Million. She gave $1 Million to the Starlight Foundation, $1 Million to PMH (childrens hospital) and $1 Million to Save the Children Fund. How incredibly generous is that!!

Ditto for RM House, they were a godsend when our littlest was critical. Brain Injury Association (NZ) help with advocacy......you'd be surprised how many people around you have head injury, and its not always apparent. They started a 'Grand Giver' scheme whereby they'd only use the interest on $1000 donations and make a pledge never to spend the principal. I thought that was brilliant.
United Spinal Association
United Cerebral Palsy
NAMI
Narsad
The Lamp Foundation for Haiti