MedHelp Social Community
How does it feel to get old you ask? Answer from an old one!

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life or my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon, before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.  They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.  

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when someone's beloved pet gets hit by a car?

But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion.  A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).
That is the best thing I have ever read on the MedHelp Social Forum.  Thank you and I hope you don't mind if I borrow it to send to my sister.

jd
I agree with the post I will be 48 in 11 days but dont feel it but glad to have the experience
Teko excellent post..getting older doesnt bother me mentally I think my mind will be like Rod Stewart says forever young, but my bones ache I mean trauma induced arthristis and DDD stink,,I can take the extra weight, its a badge of honor for bearing three kids,,even the thing that gravity and nursing for 6 years does to the boobs,,but I will always dye my greys atleast untill Altizmers sets in LOL.
Cherie you are too funny! lol
Jollyman, you are still a baby!
Jd, you may certainly send to anyone you want!

You all have a wonderful evening!
This year I turned 50 and a friend of mine asked me if it was depressing.  My honest answer is no .. no way ... this is the 2nd half of my life and I'm gonna live it to the fullest.  The first half was ok but the 2nd half is going to be absolutely wonderful .... it's the realization that we all grow old "gracefully" at one point or another & acceptance,  but age is really a matter of mind and having been thru some rough spots in the "first half" of my life with my health or the health of others, I've come to realize that every morning I wake up it's a gift.  And that's something never to be taken lightly!!!!

Thank you Teko for your post ................C~
Great post Teko!!
ChitChat.. Love your attitude!! My great grandma lived to be 105!! and my grandma is 80 and still driving!! she may hobble when she walks but nothing stops her either so im sure im gonna live a LONG time!! I'm 27 almost 28 and just like my family i do not look my age at all!!
I am 48 now and i am just beginning to live!!!!!  
in a really weird bizarre way im kinda looking forward to my 40's and such cus i know by then i wont be struggling so much and i ll be able to "live" as yall say!!
Age is relative.  Tina Turner must be nearly 70 and look at her - what incredible energy.

Age is also a state of mind.  I'm 47 and sometimes act like I'm two yrs old.

Every wrinkle, every gray hair is a victory symbol of everything you've gone through and experienced - good and bad.

I'm glad not to have to worry about what people think.  Like you, if I want to wear a bathing suit, I will.  If other folks don't like the sight of my flabby, soggy butt they don't have to look.  I think I was older in my 20s than I am now.  It's great that you have such a supportive family and friends  = )

Love the post, teko. Very inspiring!  I am 51, and I feel like a teen-ager. Age is a state of mind. I don't look my age, and I come from a family that does not look it either. My mother died at age 80, folks still guessed her age in the early 60's or less.