MedHelp Social Community
Keep Singing

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Keep Singing

6104733?1283609723

Like any good mother, when Karen found out that another baby was on the way, she did what she could to help her 3-year-old son, Michael, prepare for a new sibling. They find out that the new baby is going to be a girl, and day after day, night after night, Michael sings to his sister in Mommy's tummy.

The pregnancy progresses normally for Karen, an active member of the Panther Creek United Methodist Church in Morristown, Tennessee. Then the labor pains come. Every five minutes... every minute. But complications arise during delivery. After hours of labor a C-section is required. Finally, Michael's little sister is born. But she is in serious condition. With siren howling in the night, the ambulance rushes the infant to the neonatal intensive care unit at St. Mary's Hospital, Knoxville, Tennessee.

The days inch by. The little girl gets worse. The pediatric specialist tells the parents, "There is very little hope. Be prepared for the worst." Karen and her husband contact a local cemetery about a burial plot. They have fixed up a special room in their home for the new baby -- now they plan a funeral.

Michael, keeps begging his parents to let him see his sister, "I want to sing to her," he says.

Week two: Still in intensive care. It looks as if a funeral will come before the week is over. Michael keeps nagging about singing to his sister, but kids are never allowed in Intensive Care. But Karen makes up her mind. She will take Michael whether they like it or not. If he doesn't see his sister now, he may never see her alive.

She dresses him in an oversized scrub suit and marches him into ICU. He looks like a walking laundry basket, but the head nurse recognizes him as a child and bellows, "Get that kid out of here now! No children are allowed in ICU." The mother rises up strong in Karen, and the usually mild-mannered lady glares steel-eyed into the head nurse's face, her lips a firm line. "He is not leaving until he sings to his sister!"

Karen tows Michael to his sister's bedside. He gazes at the tiny infant losing the battle to live. And he begins to sing. In the pure hearted voice of a 3-year-old, Michael sings:

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray..."
Instantly the baby girl responds. The pulse rate becomes calm and steady. Keep on singing, Michael.

"You never know, dear, how much I love you, Please don't take my sunshine away..."
The ragged, strained breathing becomes as smooth as a kitten's purr. Keep on singing, Michael.

"The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping, I dreamed I held you in my arms..."
Michael's little sister relaxes as rest, healing rest, seems to sweep over her. Keep on singing, Michael.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. Please don't, take my sunshine away."
Tears conquer the face of the bossy head nurse. Karen glows. Funeral plans are scrapped. The next, day - the very next day - the little girl is well enough to go home! Woman's Day magazine called it "the miracle of a brother's song." The medical staff just called it a miracle. Karen called it a miracle of God's love.
Beautiful,Just Beautiful.
It really is
This song was sung to me as a child , it is great to hear of this miracle ...wonderful  
I used to sing that song to my daughter when she was a baby. She now sings it to her baby.
it has such a catchy tune , maybe rahim will sing it to us .....lol
I don't know the melody but I am ready to sing it for you all babies    .......lol
Made me get a lump in my throat.
I know how it feels
But with happy ending
I LOVE this song and sing it to my son many times a day. This beautiful story encouraged me to keep singing to my little Seth. Thankg God he doesn't understand how awful I sound.
I am sure singing this song from your heart will improve your spiritual connection to your son
I have tears in my eyes this is so touching! Good for that Mommy for standing her ground. I too know the importance of showering our little ones with love while they are in the hospital. My first son was born with a serious and life thearting heart condition. He was immediately taken to NI then PI after his surgery. Sadly my little man lost his good fight but I still had 7 wks with him to sit by his side and let him know how much Mommy and Daddy love him!

Thanks for sharing this amazing story!
You welcome dear rdh
I am deeply sorry for your lost, I have lost my 1.5 years old sister when I was 10 but I never forget her be cause she was my little friend and she always will be.
We may live a long life but there are moments that goes to infinity for us
God blesses all the children because they are truly innocent
That was a beautiful story !  It made tears well up in my eyes .
The same did to me
Welcome back to MH