MedHelp Social Community
Mom of 14 kids!

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Mom of 14 kids!

I'm sure you all heard about the single mother, no job,  who already had 6 kids and was artificially inseminated with 8 more which are still in the hospital.  She lives with her parents in a 3 bedroom house, keep in mind 3 adults and 6 toddlers, and eight more babies to come home once they are released from the hospital.  The house is in foreclosure, she is on welfare getting food stamps and she got a 6 figure disability settlement for an injury she received when she was working in a mental ward.  Word has it that she gave that money to the doctor for the artificial insemination.

Here is my question:  Was the doctor who artifically insenimated her irresponsible?  Knowing she already had 6 kids, and a single mother with no job on welfare?

Is it right for the CA taxpayers (she lives in CA) to food the hospital bill which already climbed to 1 million dollars or will be there shortly?

Will it be child abuse to have 3 adults and 14 toddlers/babies in a 3 bedroom house?  Her mother already expressed great concern and anxiety on national TV about this situation.  O'Reilly showed a clip from the Oprah show which will air next week showing that the woman's father thinks his daughter is not mentally stable.

She was seen shopping at Nordstroms spending $14.00 on lip gloss.  Not exactly shopping at Walmart.  Normally I would think that is her business where she shops, and yes it is her business but on welfare and foodstamps and dishing out $14.00 for lip gloss??  

How will she feed all these babies together when they are  all crying because they are hungry?  How will she take 14 kids for a walk?  In shifts?  Being on welfare I can't imagine being able to afford a Nanny to take care of 14 toddlers/babies.

Will child services step in and take the kids from her?  After all 14 babies and 3 adults in a three bedroom house is kind of tight space.

Is it fair to criticize her even though she was selfish wanting more kids on top of the 6 she already has with no job, no husband, and on welfare?

Don't misunderstand my post.  Once she was pregnant I am NOT suggesting she should have aborted all these babies, but the artificial insemination should have never taken place knowing she is single with no job, no husband, and on foodstamps and welfare.  I feel sorry for these babies and the woman's parents.  She is happy as hell saying "she wants many kids, that was always her dream".  Boy did that dream come true for her.

What say you?
I'll just give a short reply.  While, I can't imagine what would possess a women to do something like this.  I really don't think it's anyone's right to say she can't, including the doctor.  If we start limiting how many kids you can have, what's next??? Disposing of mentally handicap because they have to be in institutions which are paid for by tax payers. (I know that's a bit extreme so please nobody freak out over that last statement)
I know a family whose children are all grown now...they had married parents and 12 children in a small 3 bedroom house they slept three per twin bed,,,,they where devote Catholics..went to church..kids did well in school,,,,I dont think living in a smalll house necessarily equates child neglect..

Im not sticking up for the mom I believe she give selfishness a new level.

I agree with concerns for the babies and the twin 2 year olds the rest by the way are older not toddlers they are children...so in actuallity she has 10 babies..and 4 children of pre to I believe grade3....

I worry and pray those babies all get held when they get their bottles,,,I hope they get rocked and sang to....I hope they are in clean diapers..no rashes no wet pjs.....clean sheets ,,bathed atleast every other day,,,,I hope the older children dont get lost in the shuffle they are quite young and need reassurance of love and attention regarding school...and lets not forget the autistic boy he needs lots of extra love......so for the sake of the children I hope some good people step up and spend some time helping this dysfunctional family its not for the Mom its for the babies...bless them.
You're absolutely right.  I too hope that her community will step up and help them.  I have a feeling if it wasn't so publicized she wouldn't be getting soooooo much negative attention. And instead those around her would be reaching out to help.
I agree that no one should tell her what to do, I just wish she would have had more consideration for her parents. Her mom obviously has a problem with it and she does live in her house.
As people may have read my comments about this in other places I have a pretty strong opinion about what she did, and it's not a positive one. I too am against aborting the children, but I wish that the fertilization didn't take place in the first place.

If someone was to adopt a child, they can't just adopt any child they wish. They have to go through careful examination to make sure they are fit to be parents.

I don't know what else to say about this other than what I've said already. She has 6 children already. That's quite a huge family in itself. I don't see why she can't be satisfied with those children.

Plus what about her parents?  They seem to be getting the brunt of her decisions. It may have been a different story if they were willing, but they aren't. They seem to be pretty stressed out enough.

Also I heard one of her 6 has autism. I have a mild form of autism and I can say that one screeching toddler is enough to send shooting pain to my ears. If I have to put up with 8 of them, then poof....I'm gone!  I expect her child will have a meltdown if all 8 of them scream at once....

Given those factors, I wish that the child protection services can take away the 8. She can keep the other six and care for them.
Barbara,

I am disgusted by these actions. If she doesn't have the appropriate living and economic conditions to raise kids, then why does she want more? That is being very irresponsible. I feel pity for those babies already, being raised in such deplorable conditions…ugh. Yes, it is all about choice, but someone should have told her that this decision was never a wise one, at least that's how I see it.

Only a few celebrities (and other disgustingly rich people) have more than 2 kids. This lady cannot pay her rent!!!!!! To me, this is HER being selfish.
I'm seriously ticked off by the whole thing!! Selfish yes but such an understatement i dont even know what to say!! The dr is absoultely 100% responsible he should have never ever implanted more embryos and thanks to this woman taking advantage of modern science the people who really need it and want a family and have the resources will now have to follow rules and guidelines to get fertility treatments!! It's just real BS thats all i can!!
I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also failed to mention my feelings about the risk she put those children and herself into by having so many implanted....  Was it 6? As a result all are born premature and may deal with health and mental issues associated with being premature. Humans are NOT designed to have litters!
I heard 3 of the six original children had some kind of disability and it is expected that some of the octuplets will have disabilities as well. This is wrong on so many levels. I am one of 10 children brought up in a 4 bedroom home, built by my parents but the older 5 were out and married by the time I came along, so it was more like 5 children, then 5 more and not all at the same time.  I cannot imagine how these children are going to get the emotional attention they need so much. I have thought since the beginning that Mom was missing a few. As far as the doctor? I think what he did was ethically wrong and should be held accountable and made to pay for the babies needs.  I have wondered if the doctor who did this is not himself the donor? Would that be weird?
She has transformed herself into a reproduction machine. If that is so much fun for her, I wonder why she doesn`t open her own adoption agency. I can not see this coming from a love for children per se. It is all madness. It has long been said that since the arrival of IVF we have so many more preemies and babies with serious health issues. Times 14 in this case. We all see how badly poverty crept into overpopulated countries where women still pop out a child a year - and on a small scale this will likely happen with her. It is all pretty weird - and somehow she looks like the product of a cosmetic surgeon. Interesting case, if it weren`t for those 14 infants.
Yes, I remember now that 3 of the six kids have a disability.  

Yes I know in the past some people had lots of kids but most of the time these kids had  a mother and a father in the house, and most of the fathers worked, some of them 2-3 jobs.  My mother in law washed and ironed clothes for other people to make ends meet, and my father in law already had 2 jobs, and they "only" had 4 kids, one every year.  At one time she cleaned peoples houses and put all the 4 small children on chairs with a coloring book while she was doing her job, there was no money for a babysitter.  Yet they were not on welfare.  They were proud, hard working people.

This chick is single, on welfare and selfish expecting us taxpayers to food the bill.  I would have no problem if she had a job and could afford these 14 kids, or had a husband who was working, but single and on welfare and getting pregnant by choice is very selfish.

The  reason I mentioned the 3 bedrooms maybe being to small is because they showed pictures of the inside of the house and it was a total mess, it looked like a pig sty with the 6 kids there, I can imagine 8 more running around.  
Teko,

lol That'd be freaky. The doctor being the donor....yikes!
Rumor has it that this doc took a hike, reporters can't find him.  He could very well be the donor :).  Ever saw a picture of him?  He looks kind of weird, but of course we cannot go by how somebody looks.
freaky, yes, but not unheard of.  remember that case in virginia about 15 years ago? (maybe 20) where the doctor was using his own sample, instead of the husband's? and all these women had babies by him and didnt' even know?  not saying that's what happened here.  but there is more to this story, i am sure.
I think this girl is a perfect example of why IVF should have very strict rules and guide lines regulating the amount of possible births at any one given time. There are some countries that will not allow more than 2 - 3. Personally, I think All countries should impliment such a law. Until such a law is in place, the Doctor that preformed this insemination can not be held accountable.

This girl is fully responsible for her actions. She knew what she was doing. She chose the number of babies she would have. She got what she wanted. She planned this.

But what she didn't plan on was the back lash, the outrage people would feel, the death threats towards her.

More than likely she planned on being famous (not infamous). Selling her story to papers and magazines. Being paid to appear on national tv, perhaps she even had dreams of being the next new reality tv star!

Call me a pessimist if you like, but seriously, doesn't that make sense to some of you? It seems some people will do anything these days to make a quick buck and get their 10 minutes of fame and fortune...

On the issue of whether a 3 bedroom home would be grounds for child abuse. Under normal circumstances, I would hardly think so. If the home was in a condition that wasn't habitable by humans then that would be grounds for unfit living conditions but not considered child abuse as such.

Do I think tax payers should fund her living expenses? No!

If she cant afford them on her own merits then she should not have had them. But it's a little late for that, she has had them and if she can't provide for them, care for them as they deserve to be cared for, then the best thing for those childern would perhaps be to be removed and place with parents that would love and care for them as is a childs right.

I was watching an interview with her on tv only yesterday. She said, she didn't care what others thought of her or what they thought about how she raised her children.

The interview then switched to her mother, the mother said " I have grave concerns for all of these children, my daughter goes off for hours on end, leaving me with the children, I'm not coping now, what is it going to be like for me when the other 8 come home and my daughter does her disappearing act? She then went on to say " I am seriously considering moving out"

The interview then went back to the girl, and she was asked, how do you think you will manage on your own? The response, she simply smiled and said, oh it will be fine! She was then asked did she regret having so many children, her reply "No, and I want more kids, I plan on having 25!!!!!

If I had not watched and heard this myself, I would have passed it off as gossip, as there has been so much gossip and inuendo surrounding this whole saga. But there it was, on tv in her own words.

Tomorrow evening, there is a one hour "special" on her with full interviews. I think it will be interesting to see the full interview. I don't believe I misunderstood anything that I saw or it was presented out of context. But out of curiosity, I will watch, perhaps I will have a change of heart on how i feel out this girl, perhaps......

I totally agree with you and thanks for the info.  Her parents are elderly and I totally understand how her mother feels.  I too have seen her mother being interviewed you could see the anxiety in her face and hear it in her voice.

I looked this doctor up on the CA Medical Board.  He has no disciplinary action against him, his license is current, BUT he had a "name change".  His new name is not listed.

http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/WLLQRYNA$LCEV2.QueryView?P_LICENSE_NUMBER=41227&P_LTE_ID=790
i look at this mess and all i can do is just shake my head...there is so much wrong by different people..the mother the dr the clinic the whole welfare system...now there are 8 innocent babies that ask for none of this who knows what problems they are going to have to grow up with and to deal with?? it is so so sad and just surreal
The Doctor who did this is the one I blame he must have known she wasnt functioning he behaved abominably...I want to hear his explanation of why he did it..!!
I believe this mother has some mental issues and I also think that she is very selfish. It makes me furious knowing that she puts her own selfish needs over her own children.

I'm happy that her physician is being investigated and I believe there is a good possibility that he may lose his license to practice.
I would like to take a pin and pop those botox lips of hers......Nice to see she can get her nails done too.....she is a real piece of work.
LOL Sarah thats funny!!!
I do think there should be guidelines on the IVF treatments i just never seriously expected ANY1 to take advantage of that and being able to have children SO MUCH!! This lady sooooo went overboard!!
She definitely has mental issues and the blame in all this lies on the doctor.  Guidelines are put in place for a reason and perhaps they need to be made more into rules so this kind of situation does not happen again in the future.  

I'm not sure how welfare rules work in CA but if she gets money for the interviews, etc. that she is doing does that not disqualify her from receiving welfare and food stamp benefits?
Eep that would be creepy if the doctor was her donor like someone here mentioned. Maybe that would fill in some gaps and missing pieces to the story.  I hope he gets charged too and loses his license... Seriously implanting 6..... When you do that, you always risk every single one making it.

Morally he shouldn't have allowed her to have ANY...legally if he was going to do so, should have only implanted one, maybe two tops...NEVER 6.....

I thought her lips looked artificial btw...wouldn't surprise me if she had that done.  Is everyone sure she is only getting money through welfare?  Could she be getting money through...other means?
she also looked like her nose had been done.
Her dad is on Oprah today..............
THIS WOMAN IS FREAKING SICK ! ! !  SERIOUSLY SICK ! ! !

i do not think that any of those babies should be allowed to be raised by such a self centered, egotistical biatch.  motherhood is one of the most selfLESS acts a woman can do...THIS woman is thinking of no one but herself.  what she did is exactly what she INTENDED to do...bring attention to herself.  i'm sure she saw the dollar signs in her future...thinking endorsements, a book, her own reality show...GGGGRRRRR...i'm freaking pi$$ed and need to hush now.

kim (mother of four)
That's not right at all! I hope they find the doctor who did implated the 6 empros and hope he loses his license. Plus the mother is selfish having 6 more babies in a 3 bedroom house living with her mom and not working and on welfare. Man she's need's help really bad!! She needs to get a job and support her babies and children. I'm a mother of 1 and on welfare but I'm on disabilty and can't work cause of my disability that I have. Before this I did work and support my family until I got injuried.

Sincerly,
Kendra
I saw the dr. on Oprah yesterday while I was home sick. From what I understand he has implanted 8 into another woman. Nothing more has been said about those 8 yet.

Someone needs to stop this dr. and those children need to be taken away and geven better homes.
They had the oct mom and her mom on the news this morning. The octmom went and had this done and then when she started to show she told her mom she had a tumor! Unbelievable!
Thank you...you took the words right out of my mouth (But much nicer)~~~
This is a very sick woman, but perhaps a smart, sick woman. She wanted the attention...good or bad, and she's getting it. The interviews are just rolling in and herself and her mom and dad are making money off of them. Can you imagine what Oprah pays for a guest appearance? Her parents probably didn't want all this to happen but now they're basically forced to do these interviews to make the money.  And because a lot of people are hungry to watch the interviews of this wench and her family, they will continue. Even the doctor will make out on this deal in the end. So , whether we like it or not, the Oct-Mom wins, and these children loose. It's the case of a person we love to hate.
hey you all cant see the forest for the tree...she made some real BAD decisions let not the children suffer because of that....let us all remain compashionate,,,she seems to be quite loving with those kids,,,,find room in your heart for love and forgivness,,,she was naivee..but she needs help  all other multiple births get houses, and the works she deserves or HER BABIES deserve the same >>>dont throw stones unless you live in a glass house,,,I sure dont  God Bless her and those children and babies. I hope someday when you all need mercy you recieve it,.
sounds like you watched dr. phil the other day.

she obviously does love her children...and she admits that it was a bad decision to be implanted when she couldnt even afford to raise her other children.  with that being said...it's hard to justify such an irresponsible action and support her decision to keep these babies (courtesy of you and i).  
what mother has babies and DOESNT even do a damned thing to prepare for them?  nothing...not one preparation ! ! !  why?  waiting on you and i to foot the bill ! ! !
she talks a good game...but her mother was very forthcoming regarding her daughter's background.
i'll support her if and when SHE decides to put her children's needs above her own.
Where is the Doctor who did this I cant find any information about him on the media I blame him he must have known she didnt function too well,I am pretty weary of it all I hope they get a bigger house so the children can all be together , they didnt do anything.
Yes, that doctor was irresponsible........just because you can do a thing; doesn't mean you should do it.

I have a pretty good job and so does my husband.....we have 2 kids and my last lipstick came from Walmart.

CA is stuck paying the bill.

And.....Dr. Phil's episode on her just creeps me out.  Not her------him.   She's obviously got problems and he's exploiting her for his show.
yes I did see dr phil the other day however if ya look back on some of the other journals I believe there where 3 i posted about the same thing...Lets think of the babies,,and your all right what kinda mom is pregnant and doesnt have a crib already prepared, clothes washed and folde, diapers bought a car seat already in the car....I know one who is a little emotionally off. certainly dont make her unfit..and she was /is overwhelmed with 8 babies...I dont know if Im conveying what Im trying to say..,,,just forgive  her its done she screwed up big time the babies are here...personally Im not sending her a dime but I hope procter and gamble  and gerber and the other big wigs will help her out...those babies need it.
These babies are miracles, no matter where they came from or how they got there. It is a miracle that they all survived and I think they are beautiful. She must have taken good care of herself in order for them to survive. There are so many abusive people out there that get their children returned over and over just to abuse them again. Has this Mom ever been accused of abusing her children?
No person is capable of taking care of that many children on their own.  Not even a 2 parent household could do it.  And certainly not in a 3 bedroom house, where not only Nadya, but her 2 parents live, too.  (well, her mother lives there...I think her dad works outside the country).

Kate (the mom on Jon &Kate + 8) said they had to have 50 people a week in to help them with their babies and 2 older children, for about the first year.   And she said that was not enough!  And they had a huge house (now an even bigger one) to live in.

It stunned me when Nadya said she was looking for a "big" house to rent....and by her own definition, "big" was a house with 4 bedrooms....and she said that would be "big enough" for all the kids.  
That alone shows she's not living in reality.

I think she's going to sue the infertility doctor.  That's what I think.  And he'll probably settle, and she'll get a couple mil.  
Of course that sounds like her plan, well I say she should go for it to help her family and that Doctor should have his licence revoked, permanently.
let us not forget her breast augmentation, cheek implants....lip injections....that she has been getting....i guess it is important for her to be a hot mom to her kids. i mean, that's important.  oh   there were also pics of her getting her nails done as well.........and hitting up the least expensive place in the worls to get coffee.....starbucks.  

but i mean...........hey, looking like a hot mom and drinking your mo jo with the best of them is really what matters in life *rolls eyes and pukes*
it did tick me off to see her getting her nails done,,,when we are short on cash I dont even go for a haircut...so it does seem her priorities are messed up and like someone above said a 4 bedroom house for 14 kids 2 adults ( her and her mom) and umpteeen helpers coming in and out,,she better hop those bedrooms are like 20 by 20 LOL

But as someone else said it is a miracle those babies all lived and they seem relativley healthy,,,though time will tell the odds are one or more will have cerebal palsy and eyesight issues.
I'm curious as to what sort of government aide she will recieve. I'm not entirely sure how it works in America. If this girl was Australian she would recieve the following benifits:

Baby Bonus: $5000.00 per child = $40,000.00 (one off payment at birth of children - lump sum payment)
Single mothers pension for 14 kids = $2700.00 per week + additonal extras
Home Assistance - 3 Helpers, 3 times a day to assist with bathing/feeding etc
Government assisted home with a minimum of 6 bedrooms
Home Care would also provide nappies, formula and other essential items.
Theres a bunch of other stuff that she would get as well but I have just listed the main ones.

How does this compare to what she is legally entitled to over there?

Im not real sure..but shes really running the talk show circut and magazine interviews and she gets paid for those,,,I cant say i blame her people are interested in her story.,,,Ive stayed up all night with three sick kids of different ages ( like when they all have flu) can you even imagine the teething,,rashes ear infections,,plus heaven forbid any possible serious effects OMG...parenting 14 kids alone itd be hard with a husband or hard if their ages where spread out she has 10 babies..the twins are only 2...and her 3 year old is autistic so thats hard...I feel for the woman I believe she is very naieve..and is gonna be ok though someone will come through ..she will get a free house , car etc  just watch and see...
You can check out www.mahalo ******* to see a tiny pic of Dr Michael Kamrava of Beverly Hills, the co-creator of those octuplets. Maybe he wanted to broaden his medical horizon and she volunteered.