MedHelp Social Community
Painkiller Ban

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Painkiller Ban

A Food and Drug Administration panel voted this week to pull from the market drugs that contain a combination of narcotics and acetaminophen, including Vicodin and Percocet. The concern is it can cause liver damage when taken in too high of a dose. The worry is obviously those who abuse these drugs and take them in too high of dosages. Doctors say the drugs are safe when taken correctly.

So, in other words. they are willing to pull drugs that are very effective for pain treatment because of a fear of abuse from some people. The only problem is, they will then have to come up with another type of painkiller that could be a weaker narcotic, causing unnecessary pain and discomfort, or a stronger one which could increase the risk of addiction.
So, let me get this straight. They want to pull very affective painkillers (which can only be prescribed by doctors) because they're afraid people will abuse them and may wind up replacing them with painkillers that can become addictive. Huh?

This is what frightens me, people. We keep dumbing down our society and treating people as if they can't be trusted just because a few can't. Most of us would take the medication properly but because a few people abuse it, the rest of us would have to suffer.
What would be next? Shall we pull Twinkies off the shelves because some people may eat too much thus causing diabetes, obestity, etc.? How about alcohol? After all, even though most of us know how to drink sensibly and not abuse alcohol or get behind the wheel of a car after drinking and killing someone else, there would be some who would abuse it, so therefore I think we should pull all alcohol.

Where does it stop? Why should the ones who are doing the right thing suffer because there's some who can't seem to do that?

I have taken both of these drugs after surgeries and didn't abuse them. I took them for a week or so until my pain was manageable and that was it. The doctor only prescribed a certain amount, too, usually just a couple of weeks worth. Why can't they just do that? Why not have the doctors limit the amount they gave out?
It is a very affective drug for easing pain. What worries me is if people will have to suffer more now with pain because they're afraid a few may abuse it.

The FDA hasn't made an official decision yet so doctors are still prescribing the drugs. I was given a prescription to fill for my daughter since she will be getting her wisdom teeth pulled at the end of this month. I guess I'd better go ahead and fill it to make sure she'll be able to have it.

This really, really concerns me, folks. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I saw this but didn't read the whole article.  It's a crazy world.
I do wish they would make chocolate candy bars and ice cream illegal- then maybe I would do better at dieting.

The problem is the leading cause of liver transplants in this country are due to painkiller overdose. This is something that could easily be prevented because most of these people don't know how powerful acetaminophen is and what is does to your liver. It is a fact that taking acetaminophen will increase your liver enzymes. I knew of a patient who gave birth to a child and only days later, was admitted back into the hospital due to liver failure.

The FDA is just encouraging people to take lower doses of acetaminophen and they want to to make the 1,000-milligram dose of acetaminophen available only by prescription, as well as limit the maximum single dose of acetaminophen to 650 milligrams.

I have to support the FDA's recommendations. I actually think that their decision is long overdue.
April you said it all,,these are good effective pain meds when used properly, what next what about prohabition isnt alcohol a big , even bigger problem with cirrohis, drunken driving, bar fights etc...because a few abuse alcohol the many who enjoy a drink,,,,grrrr dont even want to start on cigarettes,,why not ban them too,,,this is scary stuff people,,
Taking lower dosages might be ok. I don't think they should put a whole ban on the medications. Maybe the doctors need to be more careful about monitoring their patients on these drugs? Like I said, they should limit how much they give and only give it in circumstances where it's really needed, like after recovering from surgery.
A quote from Dr. Lewis W. Teperman (director of transplant surgery and vice chairman of surgery at New York University) :

"If you took an entire bottle of Tylenol Extra Strength, three days later you would be in a coma and needing a liver transplant."

I don't believe the FDA is trying to ban certain medications....they just want to lower the maximum daily dosage.
I wonder why they could not have the prescriptions made with less acetaminophen ?
or maybe all drug addicts should just die paving the way for all you upstanding citizens.. when you have been molested and raped as a child and do not receive the care you need and turn to drugs to deal.. I guess death is what I deserve.. Glad I read this as I do not think a addict is welcome in this community.. Thank you for taking the time to read from this lowly drug addict.. lesa

Great question. I know the government did a public awareness campaign, but despite their efforts... their studies indicated that people were still (unintentionally) overdosing on these OTC medications and as a result, being diagnosed with liver damage and possibly needing a liver transplant.
Does the same rule apply to advil that has ibebrufen does it do the same liver damage?

No. Ibuprofen doe not contain acetaminophen. I believe that the advised maximum dose for ibouprofen is a daily dosage of 1.200 mg. Of course it depends on the manufacturer... so always read the label. (excluding Tylenol... listen to the FDA and consider their suggestions instead ; ^)  )
PlateletGal, it was in my newspaper this morning that they may put a ban on it. Liver damage is usually Cirrhosis due to hepatitis C and  the leading cause for liver transplantation which can be from many factors, not just drug abuse or alchohol, from my understanding.

Please, I didn't mean for this to be a bad post. I just thought it was an interesting subject. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Hmmmm... I haven't heard of a possible ban. I just heard of the FDA's proposed recommendations.

Here is the latest:

http://www.fda.gov/AdvisoryCommittees/Calendar/ucm143083.htm
Lesa, I'm so, so sorry you were offended. That was not my intention at all. I just sent you a pm. I hope you read it. I feel justl awful. I just happened to see this article in my newspaper and thought it would be an interesting topic but I never meant to offend anyone, honest! I have compassion for all people, especially those who are struggling. I have nothing but admiration for those who are able to overcome such adversities. Please forgive me. I didn't get much sleep last night. Maybe I need to just call it quits today. I never, ever meant to offend anyone. :(
I saw it too they are talking about banning vicodin and percocet.   At first there was talk on lowering the recommended dosage.    
It is not an idle fear, about 200 people per year die of liver failure caused by overdose. Many more are hospitalized but survive.

The key problem is that many people who take acetaminophen use it too often and in too high a dose. The reason for banning these other drugs like percocet is that too many people mix painkillers without being aware of the consequence.

However, April's points are well taken. Acetaminophen is a very useful drug. It sure helped Swampy when he once had a toothache, about 7 years ago. That was the last time he took it.

So if you have major surgery and need painkillers or even just a terrible root canal and need just one after the procedure so it doesn't escalate, what is the alternative going to be?  Will the Vicodan or Percoset ingredients be available separately .... ?  Will patients really be better equipped to figure out the dosing of them together ?

I am allergic to codeine ... so not sure what else is out there?

Having not much experience with any pain meds other than for a bit here or there after shoulder surgery and recently for a dental abscess/root canal, I am confused as to what will be available for the public for pain control both short and long-term under the guidance of a physician.

C~

All of these medications will be available by prescription. Tylenol will still be sold OTC, but they will probably need to change their daily dosage recommendations. As I mentioned earlier, the FDA wants to to make the 1,000-milligram dose of acetaminophen available only by prescription
It really won't make any difference.  If people can't buy 500mg acetaminophen they will just take 3 of the 325mg.    
O I C .............thanks!

I was thinking 'bout this last night, in that if you take 1,000 mg's every 4 hours (round the clock) then it'll be more than the new recommendation for no greater than 4,000 mg's in 24hrs.  

Now, thinking about this one step further --- it'll be interesting to see how this impacts hospitals who make income by dispensing meds.   Less meds per day means less income .. hmmmmmm ... same is true for the manufacturers ... so I do wonder if the price of it will increase ?

Something to think about, too., yet we have no control over that do we!

C~

I think what was upsetting me the most was big brother, by that I mean the government, taking over more and more with us and deciding for us what's good for us and not good for us. That's ok to a point but when do we get a say in things?
And again, my apologies towards anyone this offended. I did not mean to offend people who are recovering addicts. I have every utmost respect and admiration for them. It's big brother I have a problem with. They seem to be taking over more and more. Like I said, that's ok to a point but we need to be able to have a say in our health care, etc.
I sure don't want to have to go through another surgery without some good pain meds. Tylenol just isn't going to cut it!

I'm not afraid of "big brother". I see it this way: remember that CEO of that peanut company who e-mailed his staff, telling them to distribute peanuts that were contaminated with salmonella ? (link below) That is precisely why the government has to be involved... to a degree.

I think I'm more afraid of companies and their intrusions on people (via internet... tracking cookies, etc.) than our own government is. However, I often like to challenge all of my beliefs by putting myself in the other persons shoes. I do disagree with the government's rules about requiring everyone to wear seatbelts. I don't mind this requirement for children, but not for adults.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/11/health/main4792328.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_4792328
I lost a dear friend to liver cancer this past year. Thanks to the way doctors have been writing scripts for anything and everything, Liver disease is now one of the top ailments of the world. The live cannot break down these meds. Look at the increase in liver cancer in the last 20 years. My friend was told to not take Tylenol cause it could not be broken down easily by the liver. Think about that! We give that to our kids! Thera flu, myquil and those cold medicines also have it in them.

I personally think if we see a narcotic ban, it will be due to circumstances like Anna Nicole, and MJ.  These are extreme circumstances but is a major factor across America. Doctors will be held accountable for dispensing these drugs un necessarily! What say you?
for any who are concerned about not having a pain relief thats equal or as effective as vicodin or percocet, ther are other options. It is not well known as vicodin , but nearly the same is vicoprophen, (ibuproben instead of acetamophien)

as far as the famous celeberties, it is rumored that they were using IV drugs ( yes even prescription pain meds, just shot up) thats a whole different level of addiction just in my opinion,   200 people die per year from this and its tragic,,,how many people die per year from smoking cigarettes, do you see what I mean? How many die from alcohol related deaths?
I know. I had to watch my uncle die of alcohol poisoning. It was horrible. I felt so bad for him. What a horrible way to die.
april, my husbands best friend was 40 the doc had told him he had emphesema 9sp/ Im tired0 anyways he continued to smoke, got Dx with stage 4 lung cancer andeosarcoma and was dead on a year, tell me why is the FDA not doing anything about these preventable deaths,,drugs, medications, cigarettes, booze, when does the line get drawn..not one mention of street drugs,,Its not like Im in favor of people misusing prescription drugs, People who want to get high will get high.
what bothers me is the governments increasing control. April when our children wher little they had tylenol drops, I used them I read the directions and followed does exactly. it helped alot with fevers and teething pain. Those products have been pulled from the shelves for a few years now,,,Im not sure I like the increasing government control

and to the poster about feeling not welcomed all are welcomed here always have been always will be,
I'm not sure what the final outcome of the voting was (if they've finished voting ), but I think they're just going to lower the recommended doses, along with putting warnings on the labels. A lot of people don't even realize that there is acetaminophen in Vics, Percs, Nyquil and many other products.It is not unusual for someone with a cold or Flu to take some tylenol, with cold meds and then Nyquil at night, then overloading their system with acetaminophen. Hopefully, they'll just vote to put more serious warnings on labels.
Since they're voting on a situations that involves accidental overdosing of acetaminophen, it really can't be compared to "big brother" putting bans on smoking and alcohol. Medicinal vs. recreational.  Part of our tax dollars go to the government to watch out for our welfare when it comes to drugs they have on the market. Don't we expect them to make changes when they find a serious problem with drugs?
Now, if they were voting on problems with addiction.....I would love to see them vote on more public awareness of addiction, more in depth warnings of all the aspects of addiction and how it evolves.
I heard, also, that it was a ban, they were considering.  Maybe some news agencies are reporting it one way and others a different way?  What I heard was just a news headline on the radio; then I had to get out of my vehicle before the actual report came on.

I don't use much on the order of pain meds, but when I've had some kind of surgery, it's sure nice to have that vicodin if the pain gets bad.  The most I've ever taken them for is the first day after a surgery - usually just one or two doses, but still I'd hate to see them completely pulled from the market......there may come a time when I really NEED something.......  

I agree with all aspects or opinions here. Just another one of those multi faceted subjects. All have very good points. People tend to think because they get something over the counter it is safe. And it is not. Aspirin is deadly if misused. On the other hand, Oxycodone etc used to be set in reserve for the terminally ill. Because of the addictive properties. Now it is handed out like aspirin. So, there are problems on all sides. What is the answer? Its hard to put the cow back in the barn once you leave the barn door open. I also agree with the poster about smoking, alcohol. They could easily make them illegal, but prefer to make money off em. IMO
Personally I think too many people take strong pain relief rather than actually getting to the level of pain. In hopsital you are asked, "What's the pain level, from 1 to 10?" If I say a 4 they give paracetamol, if you say a 9 they will give you a codeine or similar based one.
I think too many people just go straight to the heavy duty stuff to start with.
I have a male friend who ALWAYS went straight to Panadeine Forte (similar to Vicodin) and when I kept telling him he'll do his kidneys in, and that he really needed to use that as the EMERGENCY pain relief not regular pain relief, finally relented and went to normal aspirin. I ask him now when he has pain what number it is, if it is low I hand him the paracetamol or aspirin.
I think too many people are un-educated when it comes to pain relief medications and are totally unaware they are dangerous, although effective short term relief, and not meant to be a long term relief.
That's true but I think only the individual knows really how much pain their in. Everyone reacts differently to pain and has different pain tolerances. I liked the fact that I could control the morphine drip when I was in the hospital recovering from major surgery. But you know what? I only did it when I really started feeling the pain come on. My mom would visit and see me in discomfort and ask me if I pushed the button and I'd say no because I tried to not overuse it, you know? I never did like taking medicine. Besides, morphine works for heavy duty pain but can make you sick to your stomach too.
Still, I think we should as a patient have a say in when we need pain management. No doctor is going to really be able to tell what kind of pain you're feeling.
I think the FDA was concerned that many people don't realize that acetaminophen is contained in Vicodin and Percocet. So they might take one of those drugs thinking it was purely narcotic and then supplement with Tylenol. The labeling is not that clear.
And people in general don't realize the risk of liver injury that can, and does, result from Tylenol. Different people have different sensitivities to the drug. After my liver transplant (due to Hep C) my team told me I was to take only Tylenol for pain at a maximum dose of 1 gram per day. I bought the lesser strength tablets - 325 mg I think. I still take Tylenol if needed, which is very rare.
Oxycodone, Oxycontin and opiate derived drugs will continue to be available for pain relief.
If this is Big Brother then I welcome it. This is an area where the government should be involved. Cigarettes were mentioned and they too will be controlled by the FDA.
In response to April's concern about a doctor not knowing her pain level: I tell everyone the same thing - that no one knows if their doctor is good until they get real sick. I know that I didn't. I had an idiot for a doctor but since I rarely saw him and never presented with a real serious problem I had no idea how incompetent he was. The point is that I believe that all of us have to be very careful when choosing a PCP. My current doctor was recommended to me by a very knowledgeable friend. When I called for an appointment and was asked for my insurance information I said that I was paying cash. I didn't know the guy and I wasn't about to switch everything over to him. Anyway, basically we interviewed each other. I knew I was a complicated patient so I wanted a really smart doctor who wouldn't be intimidated by my transplant etc. We agreed we were a good match. I mention all this because I cannot imagine being in a situation where I wouldn't get the pain meds I needed from my PCP. I had a bad bike wreck in 2005 and he prescribed Oxycontin and Oxycodone daily over a period of 4 months. toward the end I asked him how I was going to get off these drugs. He said it's easy - just start cutting back next week and I did and was off everything within 1 week - no problem at all. All this is about making sure you've got the right doctor. If you do you shouldn't need to worry about pain meds at all. The problem really is that, unless you have a serious problem, it is very hard to know just how good your doctor is if you don't put some time and effort into choosing your  PCP.
Mike
Ok I asked my dr this today as I am currently taking vicodin untill my surgery and then whatever after, I said do you believe what the news is saying about banning Vicodin? His response" NO, they tried to ban Darvocet years ago, never happened." He said there will be a crack down on people taking it who really dont need it as there should be. Also vicodin may have a reduction in the amount of acetomophine in it. Just my physicans opinion, But an interesting perspective.
there is a medication called Norco, may have spelled it wrong , Its not as well know or popular as vicodin , but its key ingrediant is whatever the active componet of vicodin is , the tylenol or acetomophine is drastically reduced. There are far too many people in this world that have true needs for pain meds, be it dental or other needs, for them to be completley eliminated from pharmacy.
You're right about norco. Is is identical to vicodin or lortabs except for the hydrocodone/acetaminophen ratio. I don't think it's a good idea to just yank them off the market. Like said in some above replies, OTC meds can be just as dangerous or even more so because people don't read the labels. People who are in true pain are going to relieve it one way or another. I believe alcohol and cigarettes are every bit as harmful. Sorry if I offend any smokers or drinkers. My husband smokes and drinks and I love him, but it isn't good for him=/
Interesting Ive been taking vicodin es for nerly a month 4 x per day, my neck is much worse last week at dr I expressed that asked if I could reduce number of pills and get something different, thinking maybe percocet or oxycotin would work better for the one week pre op, post op is suposed to be great a dilaudid pump for 2 days then just darvocet or tylenol3,,,anyways he refuse oxy or percs,,and insisted on giving me vicodin HP which I had never taken before , Made zero sense to me, Im pretty sure percocet is less strong than Viconin HP
I just read the above mentioned post, and I must agree with Lesa on this one. I'm an addict, but I stand [or sit and type] before you with the ability to tell you that I'm 19 days sober from Percocet. Although a lot of people have opinions on "people like me" I can honestly say to you that the real problem doesn;t necessarily always lie within the person who is abusing the drugs; But within the doctors who prescribe a 26 year old female 100 pills every two weeks and tells them to take it whether they're in pain at that time or not, because if she doesn't, there will be more injuries to both her knee as well as her back.

To most normal people out there, doctors are people for whom we place immense amounts of trust in when we go to them about something that exceeds everything and that is our health. To some people, doctors are almost like God. You don't question their knowledge and you do as you're told, period. These are the men and women of healthcare that have paid close to a million dollars to complete courses at a high end university to become the ones who are either educated when it comes to what they are writing scripts out for or not. In my case, my doctor was far from what you and I would sit down and have a conversation about educated.

When I told my doctor that I was freightened to take as many pills as he had written me for, he told me not to worry. He had MANY patients on a much more higher dose and took it more frequently as well. This gave me what I thought would be reassurance and an answer from someone who was.... Educated.

Three weeks ago, I called my doctor and stated to him that I felt as though I was becoming addicted and dependant on the pills, and I wanted to get off of them now. What did he do you ask? Oh, it was simple... He told me I was a drug addict, hung up the phone and lead me to call the Joint Comission on him. To make a long story short, I've been informed that they are now looking into reducing his patient number to 50% of what he has been accessing as of late. Not only that, but there has been mentionings to me that there will be a letter sent out to every one of his patients, informing them of what has happened. When I asked what they are going to do in regard to educating these doctors about the pain pills they are freely writing to their patients, they responded to me that more than likely, he will be prompted to take a two year course in dealing with addiction, dependancy and courses that teach doctors what it is to write out a script, and what they need to know about the pills.

Not every pain pill "addict" is the reason for the above mentioned post, so I suggest each and every one of you keep this in mind. Am I mad at you for posting this thread? Absolutely not. You know why? Because my life is so GREAT right now because I'm almost 20 days sober from the pills my doctor basically shoved down my throat after I went to him NUMEROUS times, telling him that I didn't feel like this was right. However, I do suggest that a little more efforts should be put forth when trying to educate other people on something such as this. It's best we all know what we are talking about before we well.... Talk about it, right?
Bottom line is we are wanting the government to control whether people get addicted or not. I am to watch myself if I am on pain pills, and monitor that. It is not the governments job. To me that is just another passing the buck on responsibility. i want to be responsible for me.

Why not do like April suggest, blame the government because people eat to much, and the smoking? that causes more damage overall than trouble with vicoden or percocet. Next we will want to blame the government because they didn't stop people from smoking which we KNOW leads to emphysema, COPD, lung cancer, among other health related issues.  Not to mention the damage the smoke does to the environment, and the odor....so lets blame the government because they won't stop people from smoking.

the people that smoke can sue the government when they get cancer because it says cigarettes causes cancer, yet the government still lets them sell and buy, so the government is not to be trusted either.

I do not trust drs, and before I take anything they give me, I do a study on it. They don't have my best interest in mind. They just want to write a rx.

People know that drugs like that are addictive. there is not a person in the US, that started taking those that did not know they were addictive. Lets get back to personal responsibility.

Well done peaceinknowing you have cracked it and your thread was informative and true,I can hear the determination there to stay drug free,  it isnt only pain pills it is all the anti depressants and GAD meds that they acknowledge are addictive like Xanax  ...I also agree with you Peggy64 it is our own responsibility what we decide to put into our mouths ,but sometimes when you are in pain or depressed you do follow that "trusted' Doctors who dish it out like candy ,supplied by the drug companies in samples fopr us all.
People would be amazed at how little the doctors really know about side effects and addiction capabilities of the drugs they dispense. My son has a herniated disk in his neck and a pinched nerve in his arm. So he goes to the doctor and the doctor prescibes lortab. It did good for a couple of hours and then the pain came back. He was eating those things like crazy! So he goes back and tels the doc that the meds are not working very long and the doc adds Morphine to the mix. Told him to take them and pt for a month and then come back. Now does anyone else see a problem with that? In a months time he will be addicted! So after a month if no improvement, which we all know there will not be any, he will go back and they will schedule surgery. Then more drugs. I am scared for him and he is in so much pain that he will take those pills no matter what just to get relief. And a month from now he will be addicted. I just dont know what the answer is.
That is the problem! drs who tell people such mess, just because they don't want to deal with the problem. That gets me off on another tangent...drs aren't in the healing business anymore, they are on the Rx writing business.

Is there any way your son can see a chiropracter? they might be able to help.

That morphine is nothing play with. But he needs to do something because of the pain. But, he needs to realize if he gets addicted to the morphine and lortabs, he will have 2 problems not just one.  

I sure hate you are having to watch your son go through this. It is awful to see our kids in pain.

Wow, Teko, I'm surprised! I didn't think they'd give Morphine for that long like that! When I was in the hospital for my last surgery I was there for about 5 days and had a Morphine drip that I could control. However, after about 3 days they wanted me to cut back on it because they said it was too powerful and I could get addicted. So the last two days I didn't have the Morphine at all. They discontinued it and gave me something not quite as strong (I can't remember what it was) but it worked fine. I didn't even think Morphine was given outside of a hospital stay as I've only had it my last two surgeries.
I don't believe I ever pointed my finger in blame at my PCP for me placing these pills in my mouth. I'm not here to point fingers and/or blame anyone for what I chose to do; But I do blame doctors all around this country for not being as informative, educated and concerned as they should be. When doctors first graduate from medical school, they take the hypocratical oath. This oath states that they will first do no harm and be informative to the best of their knowledge when it comes to the benefit of their patient alongside their health.
I for one am very proud of what you have accomplished and i agree with what you have written......doctors do need to be better educated and informed in all areas.  We as recovering addicts have taken personal responsibility in our addictions.  Too bad the rest of the world still stereotypes us.........sara
Good post. You just reminded me of my experience with Efexor xr. I didn't take it long enough to deal with the horrible wd's from it, but that doctor/system did not seem too far from your doctor, at least that was my experience with it.

First off he thought it would help my depression because it helped my dad. My dad believed (and maybe still does) that it helped save his life because he had it really bad.  But thing is, I'm not my dad. The psycho didn't seem to think much about autism and that possibly having an effect with the med.

Well after taking it at a low dose, I didn't see much benefit from it. He filled out a prescription doubling the dose or more?  That was possibly the worst two nights I've had in my life. I could not hold a thought without feeling like a rushing sensation. I couldn't connect my thoughts well and could not sleep at all. I couldn't even doze off.  I immediately told him about it and went back down. Eventually I self tapered off it because all it seemed to do was make my headaches worse and my POTS (feeling lightheaded when getting up and moving around.)

I don't know if my current psychiatrist is much better. It seems in general dr's solution to problems of any sort is to prescribe a pill of some sort.... If you have depression, anxiety, etc...they seem to think that you can try different meds or combos to get a right "fit". In one of my older journals I compared the experience with going shopping at a department store, sort of like Walmart... Drs seem to think people can keep trying on combos until one works, but are they really sure of the effects?  

That said I've had some reactions with various meds that make me in general distrusting.. I am on an antidepressant currently, though I hope that it won't be forever.
Thanks for the kind words you've put here on this post, the both of you. I don't want to sit here and blame my PCP for what happened to ME, but I do want to shed some light on the issue at hand. I think a lot of non addicts aren't educated enough on this topic as well, and that's why I posted what I did.

Once again I am hoping that no one took offense to any of my posts, I just felt the need to have my voice heard as well as the other side of the story. We all have to keep in mind, that there are always three sides to the truth -- my side, your side and the truth. It goes both ways, and we are all here on the forums to help each other regardless of the walk of life we've come from.

I hope that this message finds everybody well here today, and I will be posting more as soon as I get off from work in a few hours.
peaceinknowing, I know I certainly took no offense to your posts! I think it's important to hear all sides. How else will we learn and grow? I feel like I've learned so much on here from all you ladies! You are incredibly strong, brave women and I admire your courage!

I agree that doctors need to be held accountable more. They should know better. Look at what happened with Michael Jackson. I think his doctor should be held accountable for his death. We place our trust in doctors. They need to responsible to their patients.
So we ask the question will it be better and will they treat us differantly under the healthcare Plan that the administration wants to push through as fast as it can, will these Doctors become more caring under the scrutiny of the Government who will be paying them wages.;......
You are such an insightful woman, and I appreciated the information you posted above when I first read it. You're exactly right when you say that everyone needs to be informed on all sides of the issue at hand. You are an incredibly strong woman for putting your post out there above like you did. Many hugs are coming your way, and thanks again for all the information you've given to all the members here on the forum.
Peggy I mentioned your idea of a chiropractor and he said he was afraid of them. Imagine that!

April, We all know how addictive morphine is and to mix it with lortab to me is insane!

Personally, I do agree that it is an individual choice to take them but when you are in that much pain, at that point in time you just want rid of the pain.

peaceinknowing, Kudos girlfriend, hang in and hang tough! We are pulling for you!
Thanks so much for the kind words. I have SO much support from a lot of the members here and I have to admit, that this website has definately been my lifeline over the past few weeks now that I've signed up for my account. You hit the nail right on the head when you stated that even though it is our personal choice to take the pills daily, when you're in that much pain you just want to get rid of the pain all together. When you're my age and can hardly even walk [I'm 28 years old] you know there is a problem!  <3
Well, I wondered how long it would take for Australia to latch onto the US FDA ban.... here is a link for you to peruse.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/846563/codeine-painkillers-face-crackdown
the USA has not banned a thing..I was given vicodin at every turn, Including in the hospital, they alternated dilaudid, toradol and vicodin HP, that is a very very strong cocktail no wonder I was high as a kite....guess what I was sent home w for pain relief,,,yup Vicodin Es....I do not believe there will be any ban....this is I pray my last bottle my pains all surgical now not from the disc problems of before,,,,this is however how addicts become addicts,,,many seek help and just get handed a script instead
Hi I use to go to the dentist and was told I didn't have a tooth problem and took Pandol and thank fully I found a new dentist and I have had my teeth fixed up but then I am on Efexor xr. for years and have liver test and found I have a problem I went to the doctor to change my anti dresspion tablets but he wouldn't say anything about Efexor causing problem. I must say it you post a comment you may find people my not like what you say, We are really doing this to help each other as we know the FDA and our TGA don't protect us and I know that the FDA stops using mediciation over in the US and we end up with the felt overs, so many doctor are getting kick backs from the drug companies Take Care to all